PDA

View Full Version : Cooking a lot of ribs on an offset smoker

Don Marco
03-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Howdy folks...

I´ll have to cater a party with almost 100 people in mid april.
Menue will be a couple of different seasoned and stuffed pork loin roasts
and ribs. I´m gonna cook em on my offset smoker (20 x 48 with 20 x 20 vertical)

http://mybbq.net/forum/userpix/57_sb_005_Medium_1.jpg

People prefer the ribs totally "fall off the bone" over here, and so it´d be best to foil them but imho that´d be a major PITA for 40 Slabs of Baby Backs and a waste of foil too.

My idea was to put some liquid into foil pans and stack the ribs in there after 2 hours with some air in between. Then foil the pan and put back into the smoker
for ~2 hours, then
unwrap, baste with sauce and let sit a bit.

Would that work in your opinion or do you have a better idea ?
How do you handle situations like that ?

Thanks,

DM

Don Marco
03-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Another question :

I have a baffle in the smoker between the horizontal and vertical.

Should i take it out for more even temps and use the horizontal for the loins and the vertical for the ribs or otherwise ?

I also have a CG Outlaw, i could also cook the loins on that one but theres gonna be a couple of beer can chickens to be cooked too.

DM

parrothead
03-30-2008, 12:31 PM
I have foiled more slabs than that at a time. I think 72 was the most slabs I did. You could go with pans and foil the pan, I've heard of it being done, but you are increasing the mass and will take a bit longer to cook. I would do a test run that way first and see.

Jeremiah
03-30-2008, 12:33 PM
There is no need to braise loin backs to get them to the fall off the bone state, you just have to cook them a little bit longer than you would normally. I've found that loin backs go from "just about right" (slight tug, pull clean, not falling off the bone) to "overdone", aka fall off the bone" within a 30 minute window.

Since you're also cooking pork loins, why not do everything at a higher temp, around 350 or so. Both the loin backs and the pork loins will do well at that temperature. It will also be a lot easier to get the ribs the way you want them at a higher temp.

Baby backs are well suited to higher temps. I wouldn't do it so fast with spares though.

Don Marco
03-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys,

I think im gonna have to do a test run.

Cooking the ribs at 350 seems a bit too dangerous to me, though.
Dont wanna dry them out and if they are done too early they wont stay good for a long time.

DM

SoEzzy
03-30-2008, 11:07 PM
I use large foil pans that take a full trimmed rack on edge, you can get 8 or 9 racks in a single pan, then lid them with foil tightly, with a cup and a half of Apple juice.