PDA

View Full Version : newbie info

smokingrandpappy
03-27-2008, 11:18 PM
i just got my drum tonight (16.00) got it home and decided to mess with it a little. i hear that you need to burn it out but i live in the middle of a resi area so its kinda hard to do that. So i took a small propane torch to the outside and burned it a little no paint came off or anything,took a rag and wiped it down nothing on the rag. So my question is can i just take a rosebud torch (its like a weed burner) to the outside or do i even have to burn it out. It had frozen conc.pineapple juice in it. And am i to understand that i can only have one grill in the drum without a weber top or 2 with a top. thanks for the info anything will help.

thirdeye
03-27-2008, 11:30 PM
As thin as drums are, I would be very careful using a rosebud. You could do some damage, as in deforming or wrinkling, in a heart beat.

BBQ Grail
03-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Pappy,

I know it's a lot to take in but you've really got to read the Ugly Drum Smoker thread.

It has the combined knowledge of the best UDS builders in the whole world there.

The search tool is your friend...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436&highlight=UDS

Kenny 13
03-28-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm kind of in the same boat as you, living in an apartment with a small backyard. There was no way I could do a good burn in mine, so I did a couple of small burns. My drum wasn't lined, so I didn't have to worry about burning that out. I used something that I absolutely wouldn't use for anything else - I got a bag of matchlight charcoal so that it would flare up when lit in the drum but not shoot 20' in the air.

As far as the paint on the outside of the drum, I know this is a lot of work but I used a high-speed wire wheel on my angle grinder and buffed off all the paint before repainting with 2 coats of high temp. paint. Like I said, it was a bit of extra work but well worth it as I was able to get it down to bare metal.

chinesebob
03-28-2008, 03:37 AM
Pappy,

I know it's a lot to take in but you've really got to read the Ugly Drum Smoker thread.

It has the combined knowledge of the best UDS builders in the whole world there.

Lot to take in? That's one of the best reads I've had in a long time!

sampson
03-28-2008, 03:46 AM
Unkle B, quit yer whinin' and just take the thing out to Lahontan or somewhere and build a "big azzed far" in it. If you were still out in Cold Springs you could have just done it in the driveway, but nooo, you had to move to the uppity part of town:lol:

Mokin Bandit
03-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Pappy,

I read the whole thing before i started! Tons and tons of good info and great ideas.

Browser
03-28-2008, 10:23 AM
I would think even a moderately hot fire with charcoal and no lid on the drum will remove at least some of the paint. If you'd rather not burn out at all, you could use paint stripper (Nitro Mors or similar) and a wire brush?
As far as how many cooking grates to fit in, as long as the lowest one is 24" above the top of the fire grate you fit in as many as you think will be usable. If you use a Weber/othe manufacturer kettle lid you can easily fit two grates in.

Divemaster
03-28-2008, 10:36 AM
I would not only be concerned with the outside paint, but also if there was a coating on the inside... Go with the Matchlight idea just to be safe and then the wire wheel....

Cre-B-Ce
03-28-2008, 11:46 AM
If it's not lined, a small burn should be fine. If it's lined, it's got to come out.

Norcoredneck
03-30-2008, 07:28 AM
i just got my drum tonight (16.00) got it home and decided to mess with it a little. i hear that you need to burn it out but i live in the middle of a resi area so its kinda hard to do that. So i took a small propane torch to the outside and burned it a little no paint came off or anything,took a rag and wiped it down nothing on the rag. So my question is can i just take a rosebud torch (its like a weed burner) to the outside or do i even have to burn it out. It had frozen conc.pineapple juice in it. And am i to understand that i can only have one grill in the drum without a weber top or 2 with a top. thanks for the info anything will help.
Take it to the burning man festival and let it burn!:biggrin:

OSD
03-30-2008, 08:20 AM
I read the UDS thread a couple times before I did mine. Lots of good info to be had there.:-D
I used an actual weedburner ( rosebud would be to hot )to take the outside paint off. If it had pineapple juice in it, it will have a lining in it. kept the acid from reacting to the metal.:-D Time to burn:twisted::twisted:

Dr_KY
03-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Find a friend or co-worker that has a yard and offer to smoke them something if they let you do a burn out on there property.