PDA

View Full Version : So obvious

hdis2002
03-27-2008, 12:33 PM
I really can't see how so many Q cooks could have missed something so obvious. We all know that boiling ribs is a cardinal sin. That's a given. However, according to Sandra Lee(known bbq Expert):roll:, it's ok to SIMMER them!:eek: How could we have missed that? The real kicker is, you simmer them in VEGETABLE STOCK!!!!!!!!:eek: You guys really need to tighten up your game.:mrgreen:

Steve

Mokin Bandit
03-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Simmmer down!

Kenny 13
03-27-2008, 12:43 PM
So that's what I've been doing wrong all this time :roll:

eagle697
03-27-2008, 12:48 PM
I hate to admit this, but i have been known to braise ribs before. (Give me a break, it was before i started to cook real Q.) And i made some decent ribs. Alton Brown has a recipe for this. They aren't as good as smoked by any stretch. but i'd rather have those than the junk i get at most restaurants.

Crüe-B-Cüe
03-27-2008, 12:50 PM
However, according to Sandra Lee(known bbq Expert):roll:, it's ok to SIMMER them!:eek: How could we have missed that? The real kicker is, you simmer them in VEGETABLE STOCK!!!!!!!!:eek: You guys really need to tighten up your game.:mrgreen:

Steve

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/images/smilies/bs.gif

:biggrin:

Kenny 13
03-27-2008, 12:51 PM
but i'd rather have those than the junk i get at most restaurants.

So true there. I've never had ribs at a restaurant that were even halfway decent. Even the so-called BBQ restaurants around here.

jeffjenkins1
03-27-2008, 12:57 PM
I think braised ribs are good............just don't call them BBQ.

Jeff

eagle697
03-27-2008, 01:00 PM
I think braised ribs are good............just don't call them BBQ.

Jeff

true enough.

hdis2002
03-27-2008, 01:00 PM
She called'em bbq. Of course she finished them on the grill so that makes it ok.:rolleyes:

CaptGrumpy
03-27-2008, 01:04 PM
My wife insisted on taking me to Memphis BBQ here in Sacramentro when they opened and everyone was raving about their food. I ordered the ribs because it is really hard to fark up ribs but when I took my first bite I almost got up to bitch-slap the kitchen staff (I'd say chef but a chef wouldn't slaughter ribs this bad). I got up with my plate and took it to the kitchen and explained that BBQ means that there needs to be some smoke flavor to the meat at the minimum. They gave me a tour of their kitchen and showed me their electric smoke cooker and I asked them why they ran it without something to give it smoke like let's say smokin' chips or chunks? They were not using anything but straight heat. Talk about crap. I never ate there again and will burn the place down if anyone insists I go eat there again.

Kenny 13
03-27-2008, 01:06 PM
She called'em bbq. Of course she finished them on the grill so that makes it ok.:rolleyes:

I know a guy who cooks brisket in the oven for about 4 hours, refrigerates overnight, then puts it in the smoker with a little pecan wood for about 3 hours the next day and calls that BBQ.

Bigmista
03-27-2008, 01:09 PM
I know a guy who cooks brisket in the oven for about 4 hours, refrigerates overnight, then puts it in the smoker with a little pecan wood for about 3 hours the next day and calls that BBQ.

He'd be on to something if he reversed that and cooked in the smoker first. No shame in finishing in the oven but smoke is absorbed into the meat during the first several hours of the cook.

Kenny 13
03-27-2008, 01:10 PM
My wife insisted on taking me to Memphis BBQ here in Sacramentro when they opened and everyone was raving about their food. I ordered the ribs because it is really hard to fark up ribs but when I took my first bite I almost got up to bitch-slap the kitchen staff (I'd say chef but a chef wouldn't slaughter ribs this bad). I got up with my plate and took it to the kitchen and explained that BBQ means that there needs to be some smoke flavor to the meat at the minimum. They gave me a tour of their kitchen and showed me their electric smoke cooker and I asked them why they ran it without something to give it smoke like let's say smokin' chips or chunks? They were not using anything but straight heat. Talk about crap. I never ate there again and will burn the place down if anyone insists I go eat there again.

Wow, tell us how you really feel :lol:

Actually, I agree 100%. So many restaurants try to pass off their cooking as BBQ that many people don't really know what true BBQ is. Not trying to be a BBQ snob here, but that's the truth. Lots of people tasting true BBQ for the first time are really surprised at the difference from what they're used to at restaurants.

WineMaster
03-27-2008, 01:10 PM
God she looks good with them Ribs though.

scott millman
03-27-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't think I remember anything she has done on her show....I just stare at her til first commercial break, then move on....just to get my sandra lee fix for the day:shock:

Kenny 13
03-27-2008, 01:11 PM
He'd be on to something if he reversed that and cooked in the smoker first. No shame in finishing in the oven but smoke is absorbed into the meat during the first several hours of the cook.

Absolutely. I've mentioned that, nicely of course, several times but he insists that people love his BBQ so there's no reason to change.

RichardF
03-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Take the on-sale ribs that are enhanced (and you wouldn't want to Q with anyway)and sprinkle with pepper and maybe a little kosher salt (remember they are enhanced), put under broiler for about 15-minutes until browned, cut rack to fit in crock pot, add one sliced onion to bottom of crock pot then ribs, pour 8-ounces of your favorite bbq sauce over ribs, set crock pot on low and come back in between 5 and 7 hours.

Yummy, not Q, but yummy

PS Sandra's not Cat, even if Cat does bat for the other team

NTTAWWT

http://sidesalad.net/archives/CatCora.JPG

Tinybud
03-27-2008, 03:10 PM
We got a place in town here that advertises authentic wood fired bbq. Was kind of excited when he first opened,, thought we'd finally had a good local que joint.. wow, was I wrong, even thou he has a meadow creek ts-120 and a big chicken cooker of theirs, its all pretty crappy food, says he smokes his brisket for 18 hrs, for one, his smoker is never fired up that often, relies on ovens to cook his food. No flavor of any kind in any of the meat. Claims he travled all over the country studing different bbq styles, and this is what he came up with. Oh well,, I keep trying to educate the locals what real bbq is...

Divemaster
03-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Wow, tell us how you really feel :lol:

Actually, I agree 100%. So many restaurants try to pass off their cooking as BBQ that many people don't really know what true BBQ is. Not trying to be a BBQ snob here, but that's the truth. Lots of people tasting true BBQ for the first time are really surprised at the difference from what they're used to at restaurants.

We got a place in town here that advertises authentic wood fired bbq. Was kind of excited when he first opened,, thought we'd finally had a good local que joint.. wow, was I wrong, even thou he has a meadow creek ts-120 and a big chicken cooker of theirs, its all pretty crappy food, says he smokes his brisket for 18 hrs, for one, his smoker is never fired up that often, relies on ovens to cook his food. No flavor of any kind in any of the meat. Claims he travled all over the country studing different bbq styles, and this is what he came up with. Oh well,, I keep trying to educate the locals what real bbq is...

Got that right... See my post in the woodpile...
I feel like Guy Fieri let me down.... (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39915)

PS Sandra's not Cat, even if Cat does bat for the other team

NTTAWWT

That just wasn't fair.....

thunter
03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Simmering... Oh yeah... that's down-right, un-city-fied way of saying... Boiling! :lol::lol:

Kenny 13
03-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Divemaster, I like your "...save your money and cook it at home." That's exactly how I feel. A few weeks ago here at the office, they bought lunch for everyone from a local BBQ place that some of the people here really like - Voodoo BBQ. I had never eaten there, so I just got an order of ribs with a few sides. Boy was I disappointed. There was no smoke flavor to speak of, the texture was the strangest I've ever had from ribs, and their sauce tasted like squirrel vomit :eek:

Later I checked out their website and they went on and on about how they pride themselves in serving competition grade BBQ that is slow smoked :rolleyes: I just couldn't help but think - at what it cost for just my lunch with 1/3 of a rack of spares I could have almost bought a whole cryopack of spares to cook myself and had it done right.

Divemaster
03-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Later I checked out their website and they went on and on about how they pride themselves in serving competition grade BBQ that is slow smoked :rolleyes: I just couldn't help but think - at what it cost for just my lunch with 1/3 of a rack of spares I could have almost bought a whole cryopack of spares to cook myself and had it done right.
I know what you mean.... I just hope they are competing at the same comps I am.... knock out a few without even having to work at it....

StLouQue
03-27-2008, 04:25 PM
I've never seen Sandra Lee's show; only her cookbooks. And still, I'd assumed she knew the difference between braised ribs and barbecue. Maybe she does, and she's merely catering to her audience. But simmering? HELL no. I don't care how hot you may be...don't TRY to pass that shi... (what forum am I in?) don't TRY to pass that nouveau-que crap on me. It/She may be be yummy...but making barbecue...she is not. I'm jes sayin'.
Fark that – TV kills brain cells, anyway.

JediDog
03-27-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't think I would of taken the plate to the kitchen, but I agree that I would never go eat there again.

jestridge
03-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Maybe some of the joint should advertise as imitation BBQ

Crüe-B-Cüe
03-27-2008, 05:41 PM

I'd hit that! ok, ok, not the woodpile...back to my room.

thenewguy
03-27-2008, 05:51 PM
[quote=Kenny 13;599481] and their sauce tasted like squirrel vomit :eek:quote]
OK...I gotta ask...just what are you doing tasting squirrel vomit...there I asked, but I don't think I want an answer...:biggrin:
My wife has learned to expect unusual behavior from me if the foods bad, I'll wait till the manager comes by and tell them. Some act like they care, most don't.
I usually lose at the "I wouldn't feed this vile to my dog"
Then it's time to leave.

thirdeye
03-27-2008, 08:07 PM

For Pork and Kraut, that's what I do. 3 hours or so on the cooker (seasoned with only salt and pepper), add the ribs atop the kraut, surround with sausages, add some onion, cover and braise in the oven until tender.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/DSC04467c.jpg

parrothead
03-27-2008, 09:23 PM
OK, I'll have a little talk with her this weekend. I'll set her down and explain real Q. Then we'll get down to business......cooking on the Klose or the spicewine.

Kenny 13
03-27-2008, 11:19 PM
[quote=Kenny 13;599481] and their sauce tasted like squirrel vomit :eek:quote]
OK...I gotta ask...just what are you doing tasting squirrel vomit...there I asked, but I don't think I want an answer...:biggrin:
My wife has learned to expect unusual behavior from me if the foods bad, I'll wait till the manager comes by and tell them. Some act like they care, most don't.
I usually lose at the "I wouldn't feed this vile to my dog"
Then it's time to leave.

Trust me when I say it's just an expression :lol:

sampson
03-28-2008, 02:34 AM
Dear Sandra Lee, if you read any of this thread and feel like you want to learn about real Q, feel free to come over. We'll get the ribs on the drum and then start simmering some sausage while we wait... or maybe we can do up a fatty for a snack.

chinesebob
03-28-2008, 02:44 AM
Dear Sandra Lee, if you read any of this thread and feel like you want to learn about real Q, feel free to come over. We'll get the ribs on the drum and then start simmering some sausage while we wait... or maybe we can do up a fatty for a snack.

You want Sandra Lee to read this and understand what you just said?

You offered to simmer some sausage and do up a fatty!!!!!!

:) - ok moderators, I'm off sorry - couldn't pass up.

sampson
03-28-2008, 02:47 AM
:icon_blush:

kickassbbq
03-28-2008, 07:37 AM
I would eat ANYTHING Sandra cooked!!!