PDA

View Full Version : Super WSM

michiana mark
03-27-2008, 02:35 AM
Stopped in at the local Weber dealer today, got to talking about WSM. He says they have revised the legs on the standard one. Also they are going to market a 22.5" version. A Weber UDS, probably pretty pricey.

Bigmista
03-27-2008, 02:37 AM
Will the Big WSM rumor ever die?

BBQ Grail
03-27-2008, 02:47 AM
I think this is why we have the "no pictures...didn't happen (doesn't exist) rule!

bigabyte
03-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Not again.

Bbq Bubba
03-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Salesman is full of dodo

Mokin Bandit
03-27-2008, 10:29 AM
I'd buy one! Where are they?

Harbormaster
03-27-2008, 11:13 AM
There's been rumors about the super WSM ever since I got one. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sledneck
03-27-2008, 11:17 AM
There's been rumors about the super WSM ever since I got one. I'll believe it when I see it.
Here it is:

KC_Bobby
03-27-2008, 12:04 PM
So simple, yet so difficult.

I'd guess that Weber's research has shown that developing a 22.5" bullet will either or both:
- not sell for the price they need to market to get the same mark up as the 18.5"
- cut sales of the 18.5" bullet that it drops the overall profit margin of their smokers

Let's see what the rack space difference would be between the two:
To get the area of a circle take the radius squared and multiply by 3.14.
18.5" - 9.25x9.25x3.14x2=537.33 sq inches
22.5" - 11.25x11.25x3.14x2=794.81 sq inches

That's 257.48 more sq inches of rack space - nearly one more full rack compared to the current 18.5" bullet. It seems as if Weber's suggested retail price for the bullet is $249, which is 46 cents per sq inch. Using the same price per sq inch, would Q'ers be willing to spend $365 retail for the larger model? I don't know, but if so, it may cut into Q'ers buying only one rather than two bullets which could still drop the overall profit margin.

How about a 25" diameter Super Bullet? :biggrin: That's over 980 sq inches on two racks! :eek:

The Giggler
03-27-2008, 12:11 PM
With the BOOM is bbq and outdoor cooking, it really amazes me that they don't seem interested in this market. I love the WSM, and would buy a bigger one if it was on the market.

JD McGee
03-27-2008, 12:40 PM
With the BOOM is bbq and outdoor cooking, it really amazes me that they don't seem interested in this market. I love the WSM, and would buy a bigger one if it was on the market.

Wait no longer folks...the "Big Green Drum" (WSM Clone) is in the works and can be yours for the low low price of...however much you want to spend to build it yourself!:lol::lol::lol:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39704

BBQ Grail
03-27-2008, 12:43 PM

I'd guess that Weber's research has shown that developing a 22.5" bullet will either or both:
- not sell for the price they need to market to get the same mark up as the 18.5"
- cut sales of the 18.5" bullet that it drops the overall profit margin of their smokers

That's 257.48 more sq inches of rack space - nearly one more full rack compared to the current 18.5" bullet. It seems as if Weber's suggested retail price for the bullet is $249, which is 46 cents per sq inch. Using the same price per sq inch, would Q'ers be willing to spend $365 retail for the larger model? I don't know, but if so, it may cut into Q'ers buying only one rather than two bullets which could still drop the overall profit margin.

How about a 25" diameter Super Bullet? :biggrin: That's over 980 sq inches on two racks! :eek:

You make a lot of sense on this one.

big brother smoke
03-27-2008, 12:44 PM

What kind of coffee you have this morning:shock::biggrin:

scott millman
03-27-2008, 01:10 PM

HUH?....Bobby can you throw some numbers together on the UCLA/ Western Kentucky game tonight so I know whether to take the over or under?

Pig Headed
03-27-2008, 01:47 PM
The Pro Q Excel 20 seems to be the best bet for now. A 20" WSM clone with upgrades. They also sell a WSM stacker unit that will add another portion to an existing WSM. They will be available by May 1st, I think. A store in PA called Freds Music & BBQ will be the distributor I believe.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/

Que'inKC
03-27-2008, 01:52 PM

Leave it up to a marketing guy to come up with this...:grin:

Don Marco
03-27-2008, 01:58 PM
I dont expect Weber ever to remodel the WSM. They are just too busy kissing their own butts.

Anyway, in about 4 weeks the first units of the probbq excel 20 should arrive and i expect them to be a very good, if not better alternative to the WSM.

They have 20" grate diameter, a nice charcoal basket, temperature gauge and use the stackers, so you can use it as a small kettle grill or smoker with up to 4 grates.

http://www.probbq.co.uk/excel%203.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/thebbq/ProQ%20Smokers/Excelwith3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/thebbq/Sidebyside.jpg

http://www.probbq.co.uk/Excel.html

KC_Bobby
03-27-2008, 02:03 PM
HUH?....Bobby can you throw some numbers together on the UCLA/ Western Kentucky game tonight so I know whether to take the over or under?

No guarantees, but find out what UCLAs average score is and what they average giving up a game against tournament qualifying teams. Do the same for the Hilltoppers. Add the 4 numbers up and divide by 2.

If that amount is over the over/under score, take the over
If that amount is under the over/under score, then take the under

Then do this for all the remaining hoops games (NIT and NCAA) and let me know the percentage of games it worked so I can see if this is a good idea for me to use this formula next year. :biggrin:

BBQ Grail
03-27-2008, 02:07 PM
The Pro Q Excel 20 seems to be the best bet for now. A 20" WSM clone with upgrades. They also sell a WSM stacker unit that will add another portion to an existing WSM. They will be available by May 1st, I think. A store in PA called Freds Music & BBQ will be the distributor I believe.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/

Where is our Brother Ian Mack? He's the designer of this thing. I just checked out the website and it looks real nice.

Ian did a whole suckling pig on one in a previous post.

KC_Bobby
03-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I dont expect Weber ever to remodel the WSM. They are just too busy kissing their own butts.

I really don't think it's a matter of them not taking advantage of the market, I think it's more of a lack of demand/canabilizing their current 18.5" sales. UDS's are no secret to those wishing for a larger bullet. Until the 55 gallon barrel disappears, I don't think the market demand is there.

Barbarian
03-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Here it is:
Well I could not get Sledneck's pic to move to my post, but you can find out more about this Magnum WSM at this address.
http://www.randyq.addr.com/friends/mikey/magnum_force.htm

There are some good mods info that can be used on a UDS there.

The Pickled Pig
03-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Here's an email response I received today from Weber regarding the possibility of a new model WSM.

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your email in regards to the grill. To my knowledge we have had only one Smokey Mountain Smoker. We have no idea about another one being made as yet or any other information that I can give you.

If you have additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us. If replying via email, please leave this message intact as it will help us to respond faster. If you prefer, allow me to remind you that we are open 7am to 11pm CST every day effective October 1st. If you would rather call, the number is below.

Thank you for choosing Weber/Ducane. We are grateful for the opportunity to serve you.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Purvi
Weber Customer Service
1890 N. Roselle Rd
Suite 308
Schaumburg IL, 60195
1-800-446-1071 x 8120 (Weber)
1-800-382-2637 (Ducane)
1-800-265-2150 (Canada)
Websites: www.weber.com (http://www.weber.com/)
www.ducane.com (http://www.ducane.com/)
Canadian email: Info@omcbbq.com (Info@omcbbq.com)

jeffjenkins1
03-27-2008, 03:35 PM

That will give you the point spread. Then the team with the prettiest uniforms will be the winner right!

Jeff

BBQ Grail
03-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Here's an email response I received today from Weber regarding the possibility of a new model WSM.

Keep in mind that if one was going to be announced tomorrow they wouldn't tell you. They are not going to have any 18 inch WSM sales jeopardized by people "waiting" for the new one.

timzcardz
03-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Well here is the email response that I got from Weber back on October 18th ( I added the bold emphasis).

Hello Tim,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding a Weber charcoal grill.

Unfortunately we don't have information regarding a larger Smokey Mountain grill you may want to try back beginning of next year and some information may be available.

If you have additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us. If replying via email, please leave this message intact as it will help us to respond faster. We are open from 7am to 11pm CST.

Thank you for choosing Weber.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nicole
Weber Customer Service
1890 North Roselle Road Ste. 308
Schaumburg, IL. 60195.
Phone 800-446-1071
Fax 847-407-8900
Canadian Customer Service 1-800-265-2150
Canadian E-mail info@omcbbq.com (info@omcbbq.com)

Magnum
03-27-2008, 04:08 PM

??? Same logic could apply to the One Touch Gold grill in the 18 1/2" and
22 1/2" sizes.

Right now the price differential is only about $20 between the two so not sure if the $/sq.in. formula is applicable either. Need more info on tooling and mfg. costs, etc. to figure margins. I see where your going though.

They don't seem to be too responsive to wants on the WSM line. Thermometer, charcoal grate revisions, lift handles on the second grate and so forth. On that note I put a cooking grate from my Brinkmann on top the the WSM charcoal grate (at 90 deg.). Perfect.

I can't afford to upgrade right now anyways. :mad:

Ribs tomorrow!!! Rain and snow in the forcast. Oh goody! :icon_smil

Sledneck
03-27-2008, 04:21 PM
??? Same logic could apply to the One Touch Gold grill in the 18 1/2" and
22 1/2" sizes.

Right now the price differential is only about $20 between the two so not sure if the $/sq.in. formula is applicable either. Need more info on tooling and mfg. costs, etc. to figure margins. I see where your going though.

They don't seem to be too responsive to wants on the WSM line. Thermometer, charcoal grate revisions, lift handles on the second grate and so forth. On that note I put a cooking grate from my Brinkmann on top the the WSM charcoal grate (at 90 deg.). Perfect.

I can't afford to upgrade right now anyways. :mad:

Ribs tomorrow!!! Rain and snow in the forcast. Oh goody! :icon_smilAnybody that uses an 18 1/2" kettle is a sissy little girl

BBQ Grail
03-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Anybody that uses an 18 1/2" kettle is a sissy little girl

What's that make a Smokey Joe user?

Magnum
03-27-2008, 04:26 PM
There must be a few girls out there keeping that product line alive. :rolleyes:

thunter
03-27-2008, 04:31 PM
I have been a faithful, starry-eyed, WSMx2 owner for 4 years. I have heard rumors about a larger WSM since I got my first one. I will believe it when I buy it! :-D

Tony

Brewmaster
03-27-2008, 05:16 PM

I have to partially disagree with this logic. If weber would make the WSM the same size as the kettle they would only need to make one grate size and only one lid. There are probably other things that I'm not mentioning. This would free-up valuable manufacturing space and reduced inventory. These offset costs might make the price real close to what it is now.

thunter
03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
How about a Ranch Kettle sized WSM? :-D:-D

Harbormaster
03-27-2008, 05:39 PM
If weber would make the WSM the same size as the kettle they would only need to make one grate size and only one lid.
Except the WSM lid is not the same as a kettle lid. The WSM lid is the same size and shape as the WSM charcoal bowl, much taller than a kettle lid to provide greater clearence for a turkey or BCC.

KC_Bobby
03-27-2008, 05:42 PM
How about a Ranch Kettle sized WSM? :-D:-D

I thought about that, but didn't now the diameter. But it would be too cool! :mrgreen:

Browser
03-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Pro BBQ do a 20" dia model, new this year (http://www.the-old-smokehouse.co.uk/acatalog/ProQ_Excel_20_Premier_Food_Smoker_.html) , dunno if you guys get their kit in the US?

Ian Mack
03-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Where is our Brother Ian Mack? He's the designer of this thing. I just checked out the website and it looks real nice.

Ian did a whole suckling pig on one in a previous post.
I'm here Larry, just don't know what to say... as far as I'm aware, this is a rumor and if Weber can't make the changes to the WSM that people have been asking for , I can't see them bringing out a new model... in all honesty, I don't think that the market/ profit margins are big enough for them.

Ian Mack
03-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Pro BBQ do a 20" dia model, new this year (http://www.the-old-smokehouse.co.uk/acatalog/ProQ_Excel_20_Premier_Food_Smoker_.html) , dunno if you guys get their kit in the US?

It should be available towards the end of May in the US.

BBQ Grail
03-29-2008, 11:22 AM
It should be available towards the end of May in the US.

And I've got to have one!

Ron_L
03-29-2008, 12:13 PM
I'd love to see a 22 1/2 inch WSM, but I agree that it is most likely just a rumor. Ian, I like the Pro-Q 20" and would probably buy one if I didn't already have two WSMs. Frankly, the 20" diameter isn't a big enough space gain over the WSM to make me switch. If it were priced the same as the WSM I would be tempted,however.

Don Marco
03-29-2008, 01:16 PM
If it were priced the same as the WSM I would be tempted,however.

Over here its actually 10 % cheaper than the WSM, but thats only because Weber is only in for the yuppie market and prices are 2.5-3 times as high as in the USA despite the good exchange rate for us. :eek:
I think the Pro-Q is gonna kick Weber in the nuts quite a bit in europe.

The difference in size doesnt sound like an awful lot, but if you measure a bit you see its larger than you expect.

The WSM Grate has 44 cm (17 3/8 ") diameter , the Excel 50 cm (20 ") and the large kettle grills (and UDS) have a 54,5 cm (21,5 ") Grate.

DM

Pig Headed
03-29-2008, 04:09 PM
I'd love to see a 22 1/2 inch WSM, but I agree that it is most likely just a rumor. Ian, I like the Pro-Q 20" and would probably buy one if I didn't already have two WSMs. Frankly, the 20" diameter isn't a big enough space gain over the WSM to make me switch. If it were priced the same as the WSM I would be tempted,however.

You could always get a ProQ stacker for the WSM and add another level to it.:lol:

Sledneck
03-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Besides the fact that i have 3 wsm i do not care for the extra space. I believe it works the way it does because of the way it is built. I would not get one.

Ian Mack
03-30-2008, 05:44 AM
If the only difference was size, I would have to agree with you on the price, but the ProQ's have loads more features built in... Handles, Temp Gauge, stackability, probe eyelets and their design makes them a lot easier to use.

Ian Mack
03-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Besides the fact that i have 3 wsm i do not care for the extra space. I believe it works the way it does because of the way it is built. I would not get one.

3 WSM's... then you may be needing 3 of these :roll:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/thebbq/ProQ%20Smokers/WSM-Stacker_lg.jpg

G$
10-28-2009, 06:22 PM
All right all right, I know the thread is 18 months old, but :lol: :

Salesman is full of dodo
Not again.
I think this is why we have the "no pictures...didn't happen (doesn't exist) rule!

Oh, I almost missed:

Rich Parker
10-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks - That was a good read. Funny how things turn out.

Cliff H.
10-28-2009, 08:24 PM
I knew the truth all along.:shock::-D

NorthwestBBQ
10-28-2009, 08:56 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

G$
10-28-2009, 09:02 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: justice.

schellter
10-29-2009, 12:25 AM
As a newbee to smokers this thread was totally confusing, I guess the 22" WSM is relatively new.

bigabyte
10-29-2009, 09:16 AM
If you had been around the forums a few years you would understand. Rumors had been circulating about a 22" WSM for a few years before it was finally released. There were even so called "release dates" that never happened, and even people who emailed/talked to the good folks at Weber who said they had absolutely no plans to make a 22" WSM. Then all of the sudden....IT HAPPENED!:biggrin:

SmokeInDaEye
10-29-2009, 09:47 AM
They'll never make one and I'll never own one.

bigabyte
10-29-2009, 09:50 AM
I hear they are planning a 26" model next.

Skidder
10-29-2009, 10:24 AM
big I heard it was a 72" whole hog WSM. There having weight issues with the lid though.

bigabyte
10-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone, OK. Weber will deny the new Giant WSM. It is rumored to be able to cook Godzilla.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Misc/Giant_WSM.jpg

GreasePig
10-29-2009, 11:06 AM
What kind of rub would you suggest for Godzilla?

Should I just smoke him to a 190 internal temperature?

I was thinking about maybe spatchcocking him.

I'll check to see if Donnie has a Godzilla "how to" on youtube...

I bet he does a 3 part rub with Butt Glitter...

I wonder what song he'll use... OH WAIT! GODZILLA!

Should I brine Godzilla?

Maybe I'll wrap him in foil after 22 hrs...

Nah, no foil... that's a crutch...

Lets see... at 1-1/2 hrs per pound... He MIGHT be done before Thanksgiving if I start now...

What kind of mop goes good with Godzilla?

Maybe I'll just glaze him on the gasser at the end and forget the mop..

OH JEEZE!?! Should I just use straight K bricks or lump? I heard the bricks would give an off taste, but it IS Godzilla...

I'll use lump I think.. If I crush the big pieces down a bit it should work...

How many bags will it take for a 27 day smoke... dang...

I'll NEVER be able to brine that sucker! I wonder if he is "enhanced"...

Butterball Godzilla! That's the ticket!

My head hurts...

Oh I know! I'll just get a big beer can!

Oh KEGGER!

michiana mark
10-30-2009, 04:11 AM

Ya should've listened to the rumor mill:-P

bigabyte
10-30-2009, 09:37 AM
What kind of rub would you suggest for Godzilla?
Plowboys of course. The MSG really enhances mutant creatures.

Should I just smoke him to a 190 internal temperature?
Godzilla meat is like chicken, so use that as a guideline.

I was thinking about maybe spatchcocking him.
Great idea! You can borrow my shears.

I'll check to see if Donnie has a Godzilla "how to" on youtube...
In case he doesn't, you can maybe use this as a guideline...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCgWJLnvywQ

I bet he does a 3 part rub with Butt Glitter...
I'm thinking 6 parts would be better. Godzilla is big enough to have even chunkier ingredients layered on top than normal.

I wonder what song he'll use... OH WAIT! GODZILLA!
Duh!

Should I brine Godzilla?
No, he is a saltwater creature already from the briny deep.

Maybe I'll wrap him in foil after 22 hrs...
I would use foil to shield the breast meat while waiting for the thighs to get done.

Nah, no foil... that's a crutch...
Ha-ha! Yeah, you're right.

Lets see... at 1-1/2 hrs per pound... He MIGHT be done before Thanksgiving if I start now...
I hope this gets to you in time then!:shock:

What kind of mop goes good with Godzilla?
No mop, but using thirdeyes lemon trick under the skin might be a good idea.

Maybe I'll just glaze him on the gasser at the end and forget the mop..
I think Weber is also working on a giant Performer.

OH JEEZE!?! Should I just use straight K bricks or lump? I heard the bricks would give an off taste, but it IS Godzilla...
Godzilla is immune to normal fire. You need to use a stronger fule source. Think along the lines of enriched uranium.

I'll use lump I think.. If I crush the big pieces down a bit it should work...
See above.

How many bags will it take for a 27 day smoke... dang...
Judging from my college days, a pound would be a safe bet. so however big your baggies are will dictate how many it will take to store that pound of stuff.

I'll NEVER be able to brine that sucker! I wonder if he is "enhanced"...
Of course he's enhanced, he a mutant lizard with super powers!

Butterball Godzilla! That's the ticket!
It's easiest to brush melted butter on it than to apply a ball of butter and hope it melts just right.

My head hurts...
Ummm....well....

Oh I know! I'll just get a big beer can!
That's a great idea!

Oh KEGGER!
Brilliant!