PDA

View Full Version : PULLED, CHOPPED, or CHUNKED? and

keale
03-26-2008, 01:37 PM
WHY?? Is it just regional? Prefered taste? I've always just pulled, any difference?
Also, LAWRY'S SEASONED Salt, can you use as a rub? Too salty? Is there recipes that you can use Lawrys as a base for rubs?

Single Fin Smoker
03-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Pureed. Butts always nice when sucked thru a straw.

jeffjenkins1
03-26-2008, 02:12 PM
I like a little of all three in my sammies.

Mokin Bandit
03-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I like pullled never done it another way!

K I N G P I N
03-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Pulled, choppe all the same to me.

Lawry's is way too salty for me.

icemn62
03-26-2008, 02:40 PM
I have pulled it, chopped it, and chunked it. Depended on how much energy I felt like putting into pulling.

I have used it, but I don't like it seems a little salty to my taste, but that could be because I know it is in the mix. Nobody else has ever complained that my que was salty.

Crüe-B-Cüe
03-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Is there recipes that you can use Lawrys as a base for rubs?

I use an 8 oz of Lawry's in my rub - 8 oz. per 2 lbs of sugar. Along with several other seasonings.

Smokin Gator
03-26-2008, 02:59 PM
I always used to do sliced and still like it. Pulled is just so easy though!!!

gotwood
03-26-2008, 03:01 PM
If you want to use lawry's use it to add another depth of flavor substitute it for half the salt in your recipes.

It's the only thing plus coarse ground pepper, I use on steaks.

Bbq Bubba
03-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Pulled = perfectly cooked pork!
Chopped = not perfectly cooked pork :cry:
Chunked = shoulda boiled it....:eek:
Pureed??? I ain't goin there :biggrin:

smoke-n-my-i's
03-26-2008, 05:07 PM

I have seen it the first 3 ways.... It depends on the mood I am in what I do. Normally pull, but once in a while I will chop. Haven't chunked it yet.... but would if I eat it.... being allergic to pork doesn't help....

keale
03-26-2008, 05:11 PM
I have seen it the first 3 ways.... It depends on the mood I am in what I do. Normally pull, but once in a while I will chop. Haven't chunked it yet.... but would if I eat it.... being allergic to pork doesn't help....

Ouch! No Pork? Wheres the Beef?? I bet you're just as happy with beef? I'm allergic to shellfish, and people feel sorry, but I tell them I'm MORE than happy with a 1 1/2 in. steak!:-P
anyone know where I can find rubs that uses seasoned salt ?
THANKS Crue-B!

bigabyte
03-26-2008, 05:15 PM
I like it pulled, except when I like it chunked, but then again I also like chopping it fine sometimes to. I guess the answer is Yes.

txschutte
03-26-2008, 08:16 PM
I like it pulled, except when I like it chunked, but then again I also like chopping it fine sometimes to. I guess the answer is Yes.Uh-Huh:mrgreen:

fnnm358
03-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Pork its whats to eat ... dont matter how it is, pile it on a bun or not, with your favorite sauce or not, the only thing that matters is that you have it.

smoke-n-my-i's
03-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Ouch! No Pork? Wheres the Beef?? I bet you're just as happy with beef? I'm allergic to shellfish, and people feel sorry, but I tell them I'm MORE than happy with a 1 1/2 in. steak!:-P
anyone know where I can find rubs that uses seasoned salt ?
THANKS Crue-B!

Beef is good.... chicken is good... fish is good.... and yes, (STEAK is great.... when the family has pork chops, I have a big fat juicy steak... :wink:) just about anything but pork... (that is a bummer).... everyone that I compete against has a built in handicap... I do cook it, but I can not even get to taste it... If I get it to my mouth, I am in trouble... major trouble... So, I use a ton of gloves, and soap and water.

And don't even try to find any processed meat that doesn't have some pork in it.... there are some, but not many. And don't even try to go out to eat breakfast.... I learned the hard way..:mad:

RichardF
03-26-2008, 08:30 PM
I got all (ok, most) of my teeth, so I'm not a big fan of a fine chop. Me thinks I like it best pulled.

thirdeye
03-26-2008, 09:23 PM
If you have never tried it, you need to try chopped pork, the addition of bark and some fat really make for a fine tasting product because it is distributed so evenly. Work in some thinned sauce too. It's perfect for sammies (and can be portioned out with something like an ice cream scoop), but I also like to serve it in a small mound on the plate as a main meat.

K I N G P I N
03-26-2008, 09:30 PM
If you have never tried it, you need to try chopped pork, the addition of bark and some fat really make for a fine tasting product because it is distributed so evenly. Work in some thinned sauce too. It's perfect for sammies (and can be portioned out with something like an ice cream scoop), but I also like to serve it in a small mound on the plate as a main meat.

I love Thirdeye!!!
His dancing pepper gets me going!!!

Bentley
03-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Funny you would start this thread, I was just sitting outside pondering this very subject. I used to be in the pull it till it looks like cat food, I as I have cooked more and competed more I believe a chunk is the way to go. I think you cant get away with as much when it is chunked, you get to tell if it is underccooked or over cooked. Having said that, it seems out here in the West, most judges want the cat food, last two times we have chunked, have not done well...and before you say it...it was cooked perfect!

Roll the dice!

Bentley
03-26-2008, 09:46 PM

Wish I had seen this before I posted...could not not disagree more! :-D

Bbq Bubba
03-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Wish I had seen this before I posted...could not not disagree more! :-D

I was semi joking.....call it tom foolery! :wink:

bigabyte
03-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Actually, my absolute favorite is cooked to just around 190 or a tad higher, and then pull the muscles apart to seperate from the fat, trim off excess fat, chop into small chunks, sprinkle heavily with rub and smoke to make pork burnt ends. But that's not the ends of it, I cook them a good 4 maybe even 5 hours until they are almost dry and then chill. This is my "thing" the last few months. It's like those jerky nugget things, only better.

thirdeye
03-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Actually, my absolute favorite is cooked to just around 190 or a tad higher, and then pull the muscles apart to seperate from the fat, trim off excess fat, chop into small chunks, sprinkle heavily with rub and smoke to make pork burnt ends. But that's not the ends of it, I cook them a good 4 maybe even 5 hours until they are almost dry and then chill. This is my "thing" the last few months. It's like those jerky nugget things, only better.

That's no fair!!!! It wasn't one of the options. :mrgreen: But you are right about PBE's, They are outstanding. I've never gone the additional time to dry them, what do you do with them then??

eagle697
03-26-2008, 10:22 PM
i used to pull till it looked like cat food. Have started to pull into chunks. I like the small chunks. I too disagree about chunks being the sign of poorly cooked pork. The best stuff i have made has been chunked. I do agree on the chopped though. Whenever i get a tough but that just isn't tender i always chop it. A local bbq joint i used to eat at a bunch chops it and i think it is covering for the fact they don't cook it long enough to make it tender enough to pull or chunk. But that's just my .02 worth.

Bossmanbbq
03-26-2008, 10:30 PM
To me, pulled pork is BBQ!! I've tried it sliced and it just reminds me of eating a roast. And chopping it just might as well pull it in my opinion. I dont Like Lowrys, but I do like Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning Salt. Around here you can buy the large can for $2 at Wal-Mart.
http://tonychachere.com/seasoning/index.cfm

McClung
03-26-2008, 11:01 PM
I always pull it.

bigabyte
03-26-2008, 11:24 PM
That's no fair!!!! It wasn't one of the options. :mrgreen: But you are right about PBE's, They are outstanding. I've never gone the additional time to dry them, what do you do with them then??
I should probably do a pictorial on them. After they are done I like to chill them in the fridge and just snack on them cold!:biggrin: They are also good reheated with some sauce, and make a good bean meat, but the real magic for me is popping these suckers as they are straight from the bag outta the fridge.

Here's the method without the pics. I cook as described, until I can seperate the meat from the fat, but the meat can still hold together. I seperate the meat from the fat and actually trim the fat off the meat. I'm not anal about it, but I don't leave chunks of fat on either. I do this to help the meat dry out so it is not surrounded by drippings. I like cutting them int 1/4 to 1/2 inch chunks that are a little longer than they are wide. I hit with a healthy sprinnkling of rub and put back on the smoker at about 275 for 2 hours. The rub I like best for this currently is Smokin Guns. Use your regular rub when cooking the butt however, and switch rubs when doing the burnt ends. Somehow this seems to make them better. After the 2 hours, I sprinkle on some mroe rub and toss the chunks about to get it spread around and put back on the smoker for another hour. I repeat this sprinkkling with rub, tossing, and cooking another hour until they have been on for 4 or even 5 hours. What I am looking for is a texture thing really. They should be just moist in the center, and crispy on the outside, even after being chilled. After pulling off the smoker I hit it one more time with rub. This may seem like a lot of rub, and it is. It is a salty meat snack I am making here basically, but with added sweet, spicy and all the other goodness int he rub. I let it chill down to about room temp, then put in a ziploc and store in the fridge.

If you can get these to last more than 2 days you are doing better than me. I tend to munch on these and drink lots of water for a coupel days. I can't seem to stop once they are around. The taste after they are thoroughly chilled in the fridge is quicte different from when theya re warm, and the texture is also different. I like them best cold.

I promise next time I make them, which may be this weekend, I will take pictures if you are interested.

keale
03-26-2008, 11:45 PM
bigabyte, PLEASE DO the pics, this sounds outstanding! I can't find whole briskets here, so I've never done "burnt ends" before, heck I've never even tasted them either!
I would enjoy the tutorial...

Irrad8
03-26-2008, 11:45 PM
I promise next time I make them, which may be this weekend, I will take pictures if you are interested.

That my good man, would be greatly appreciated.

Rockaway BeachBQ
03-27-2008, 12:08 AM
I like chunks on a plate and pulled on a sandwich. I know a lot of restaurants use a machine called a food chopper to make their "pulled pork". I just don't like it, seems sort of pre-chewed.