PDA

View Full Version : Are there any mods you.......

K I N G P I N
03-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Can make to a GOSM???

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks:confused:

BobBrisket
03-20-2008, 01:24 PM
The gasser or coal model?

The only things I modded on my gasser was to put in a bigger water and wood box. I bought one of those sheet cake pans (12x9)or so. I set it on top of the stock water pan and it hold lots more water. I also bought a (6x6) or so smaller cake pan and it fits perfectly on the stock wood box stand. I just foil the wood box and poke soe holes in it.
That's about all I've done.

Smokin Gator
03-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I bought one a while back planning on buying one of those cold smoke tubes off of eBay to make the GOSM into a cold smoker... Haven't had time to tackle that project and konw it is getting too hot.

K I N G P I N
03-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys,
I got rid of the original box for the wood and replaced it with a cast iron dutch oven, holds way more wood. The water pan I have,, that came with the gas smoker holds a lot of water

swamprb
03-20-2008, 09:30 PM
I had the 3605 GOSM and thought it performed pretty good w/o any mods, I used it for a few years with the stock cast iron chip box and just got in the groove of refilling it every hour with soaked sawdust or chips or a mix of both. Then I found this site which is kind of a GOSM mutual admiration site. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/
By then, I'd graduated to the UDS, WSM and BGE and didn't use it much other than keeping food warm for large cooks and finally sold it. I cut my teeth on it at a time when I didn't have the free time to devote to tending fire. Its a good little cooker!

Some of the mods I tried were the coffee can mod and the drypan mod with pizza stone.

SmokeWatcher
03-20-2008, 09:39 PM
If it's a charcoal model you're interested in, I've made several mods to mine. You can check them out by following the link in my sig.

swamprb
03-20-2008, 11:46 PM
I forgot about this Yahoo group! It's been a long time since I checked in but looks like some activity going on. You may want to join.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smokeymountain/

K I N G P I N
03-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks a bunch guys.......