PDA

View Full Version : WSM repair success

CrackerJack from KC
03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Had trouble keeping the temperatures below 275 on my last couple of smokes, went to the virtual weber bulletin board, to see what they recommended. They suggested that my WSM might be out of round. I measured it, and sure enough, it was a half inch out of round on the middle and bottom sections. I carefully bent everything back into place, and the smoker worked great!!! Best part was I went to sleep with the smoker at 230, and woke up with it was still at 220.

I had a new problem pop up however, at the lower temperatures, it took about 18 hours to smoke my 11 pound brisket, and I only budgeted 12-13 hours. I had planned on eating at noon, and instead we had a brisket dinner at 7 pm. Turned out great, but I didn't have time to sauce it on the smoker, so we served it texas style and added the BBQ sauce after the fact.

Divemaster
03-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Sounds like you've almost got a new smoker to figure out.... I usually do my briskets around the 250* range.... Give it a shot....

Congrats on your new/old acquisition!

Harbormaster
03-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Good for you Jack!
Keep in mind, the meat is done when it's done. (I had 2 butts take 23 hours. Talk about messing up eating plans) Always give yourself more than enough time and you can cooler your meat if done early.
I don't hang at the TVWBB much anymore, but there is SOOOO MUCH WSM info there. (more colorful charachters here though!)

Norcoredneck
03-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Yep, start early and cooler when time is critical.

Que'inKC
03-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Good find Jack...Probably need to look into that myself..