PDA

View Full Version : Those crazy Polocks just got Egged

Sawdustguy
03-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Not being known as an example of total sanity. I talked my wife Michele into getting ourselved a just for chits and giggles present, a new extra large Big Green Egg. We found a dealer on Lakeland Ave. in Bohemia and pulled the trigger yesterday afternoon. The egg will be delivered this Wednesday. We decided to grab a few Eggstras for our new bad boy. We got the side shelves, the metal stand, Pizza stone, roasting rack, the plate setter, an extra grill gripper, grill extender, rib rack roaster, cover, drip pan, versa grate and a BBQ Guru DigiQ II with Guru attachment. We can wait to start Qing on this bad boy.

MilitantSquatter
03-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Congrats Guy & Michelle !!!

Went for the XL huh ?? I'll be curious to your findings regarding the shape. I could never understand why BGE did not make the XL exactly proportionate to the other models at the dome level.

How was that dealer in Bohemia ? Did they actually have a lot of stuff in stock ? Did you find the prices reasonable ?

thillin
03-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Eggers unite!

Checkout Tom's site. He's got a sweet setup for the XL.
www.eggaccessories.com (http://www.eggaccessories.com)

Ron_L
03-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Congrats, Guy! Sounds like a nice package. If you do need other stuff, I can recommend Tom's stuff at EggAccessories. His adjustable rig for the Large is a great tool. I'm sure that the XL setup is equally well made. (He's also a Brethren, user name tjv).

BBQchef33
03-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Vitale fuel is the dealer in Bohemia.. thats were I bought my DCS. The old man still glued to the couch there? :)

Sawdustguy
03-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Congrats Guy & Michelle !!!

Went for the XL huh ?? I'll be curious to your findings regarding the shape. I could never understand why BGE did not make the XL exactly proportionate to the other models at the dome level.

How was that dealer in Bohemia ? Did they actually have a lot of stuff in stock ? Did you find the prices reasonable ?

Vinny,

Congratulations on your Egg also. Actually your thread gave me the idea. The price was $1198 with the stand and fold out shelves. The dealer was Vitale Bottled Gas on Lakeland Avenue, just south of Vets Highway in Bohemia. They didn't have alot of accessories so Michele ordered them off the internet. They offered free delivery so we took it. It is a monster, but thats why I have two strapping nehpews on the team. Stay well.

Sawdustguy
03-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Vitale fuel is the dealer in Bohemia.. thats were I bought my DCS. The old man still glued to the couch there? :)

That's absolutely right!:biggrin:

Sawdustguy
03-15-2008, 03:26 PM

We had to wait for them to come back from Florida otherwise we would have had it this week. None of the Gas men would sell it to me.

bbqbull
03-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Congrats on the new Egg!

One quick ? Are ya gonna need a bigger trailer now?

Sawdustguy
03-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Congrats on the new Egg!

One quick ? Are ya gonna need a bigger trailer now?

It's getting close........:wink::biggrin:

SmokeInDaEye
03-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Congrats Guy and Michelle.

DaChief
03-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Congrats on the new member of your family!:-D:-D

Mrs. Sawdust
03-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Congrats, Guy! Sounds like a nice package. If you do need other stuff, I can recommend Tom's stuff at EggAccessories. His adjustable rig for the Large is a great tool. I'm sure that the XL setup is equally well made. (He's also a Brethren, user name tjv).

I'll have to check this out. I love gadgets and I know I'll need more.:-D:biggrin:

Norcoredneck
03-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Third hand is a must have. Way better than grate gripper.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/welding01/GrateLifterCollage4.jpg
Hear he is hard to get off the couch also :biggrin:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html

Norcoredneck
03-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Didn't see an ash tool listed in things you picked up. Also need one of those for sure.

Divemaster
03-15-2008, 11:41 PM
I knew you were an Egghead in disguise!!!!

Congrats on the new toy!!!

Sawdustguy
03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Didn't see an ash tool listed in things you picked up. Also need one of those for sure.

Yup, getting one of those and one of those grill lifter uppers too. Doesn't 3rd Eye make one that works with the BGE. I have to be honest, I am as eggcited as I was when I got my Spicewine. Now I have to figure out a name for her.

SmokeInDaEye
03-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Yup, getting one of those and one of those grill lifter uppers too. Doesn't 3rd Eye make one that works with the BGE. I have to be honest, I am as eggcited as I was when I got my Spicewine. Now I have to figure out a name for her.

Ethel?

Norcoredneck
03-17-2008, 11:01 PM

Thirdeye makes the "Thirdhand Grill lifter" Works way better than those pliers type.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/welding01/DSC04523atitle.jpg

Here is link it has a video demo. Also order a wiggle rod.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html

BBQ_MAFIA
03-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Congrts Guy on the new addition. I'm looking forward to see pics of the set up.

CaptGrumpy
03-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Welcome to the Egghead Brotherhood. It is time to show off your egghead! I keep mine shiny and bald all the time!

gunrunner2491
03-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Maybe I need to get on the egg wagon too.

rookiedad
03-18-2008, 09:58 AM
way to go! i hope you like it. can you post a photo of the setup when it gets in?

phil

hd4me
03-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Congrats on the new toy. I have had mine about a month now and really enjoy it. The third hand is a must !!!!!!

Porky
03-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Congrats on the new addition. A Lg BGE is in my near future plans and I already have my thirdhand that I bot a while ago. Let's see some pics of that bad boy/girl.

Sawdustguy
03-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Yup, the Egg arrives tommorrow and I just ordered my Thirdhand. Pictures will go up as soon as I get my fat Polock handes on it. Man am I pumped.

Mrs. Sawdust
03-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Ethel?

I wanted to name it Sam-I-Am or Dr Seuss but Guy said no.:icon_blush::eek:

Norcoredneck
03-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Name it Humpty, then the next one Dumpty. Those that have them love them so much they usually end up getting a different size. Did you also order a wiggle rod from Thirdeye? It lets you stir/shake the coals from the vent door during long cooks without opening lid.

SmokeInDaEye
03-18-2008, 09:41 PM

Horton? Or maybe Theodore (as in Theodore Geisel, aka Dr. Seuss)?

big brother smoke
03-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Congrats, I am green with envy.

ique
03-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Congrats. I use my Egg all the time at home, not sure I'd want to haul around the bbq trail though. Next eggcessory should be a custom made Polocks handle. :)

http://bp1.blogger.com/_zOA0GT7EZws/R9QEydFm_KI/AAAAAAAAABk/v3CpLONL2fI/s1600/PASTRAM8.jpg

Sawdustguy
03-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Congrats. I use my Egg all the time at home, not sure I'd want to haul around the bbq trail though. Next eggcessory should be a custom made Polocks handle. :)

Chris,

Have you ever used it to bake a dessert at a contest?

Sawdustguy
03-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Name it Humpty, then the next one Dumpty. Those that have them love them so much they usually end up getting a different size. Did you also order a wiggle rod from Thirdeye? It lets you stir/shake the coals from the vent door during long cooks without opening lid.

Is it useable if I have a Guru connected to the Egg?

Sledneck
03-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Sam-I-Am is an awesome name!!!

Norcoredneck
03-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Is it useable if I have a Guru connected to the Egg?
I don't think so because it has to go through the opening. Not that expensive to add to order though.

MilitantSquatter
03-19-2008, 10:04 PM
I don't think so because it has to go through the opening. Not that expensive to add to order though.

I could be totally wrong since I've not used my BGE yet, but if you wanted/needed to, couldn't you just take a few seconds to pull the Guru off the inducer sleeve, open the vent, poke the holes a bit clean out and then shut the vent and attach fan.

I doubt it would have that much affect on any heat loss/gain.

Am I off base on that ? :icon_blush: :confused:

thirdeye
03-19-2008, 10:29 PM
I could be totally wrong since I've not used my BGE yet, but if you wanted/needed to, couldn't you just take a few seconds to pull the Guru off the inducer sleeve, open the vent, poke the holes a bit clean out and then shut the vent and attach fan.

That works just great. The blower and adaptor comes off in about 3 seconds....a good wiggle takes about 30 seconds or so, then you can replace the adaptor. I like to unplug my guru before removing the adaptor, then I wait about 5 minutes before plugging it back in. This pause allows for the pit temp to settle back down (and the fan does not stay on trying to recover the temp).

Norcoredneck
03-19-2008, 10:33 PM
That works just great. The blower and adaptor comes off in about 3 seconds....a good wiggle takes about 30 seconds or so, then you can replace the adaptor. I like to unplug my guru before removing the adaptor, then I wait about 5 minutes before plugging it back in. This pause allows for the pit temp to settle back down (and the fan does not stay on trying to recover the temp).

There you go, learn something new every day!

Sawdustguy
03-20-2008, 03:50 AM

Good idea Vinny!

Sawdustguy
03-20-2008, 03:59 AM
Well the Egg got delivered yesterday. Vitale's fully assembled it, shrink rapped it and put it in the trailer for me. None of this cost me a dime. The total damages for the XL BGE with the stand and the shelf wings was $1198 with free delivery. It may not be the best price but I am satisfied. I would have taken pictures but it rained cats and dog here all day today. I will have pictures soon.

Norcoredneck
03-20-2008, 04:37 AM
I would have taken pictures but it rained cats and dog here all day today. I will have pictures soon.
Eggs are all season cookers. Rain won't hurt it. Until then, same goes for you! :biggrin:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/engmodel.jpg

Sawdustguy
03-20-2008, 01:12 PM
You got me there brother!:biggrin:

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ
03-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Third hand is a must have. Way better than grate gripper.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/welding01/GrateLifterCollage4.jpg
Hear he is hard to get off the couch also :biggrin:

Dammit...more accessories!!! When's the madness gonna end...??? Made up my mind last night (while trying out my brand spankin' new Woo2 and SS Grate) to buy a stone and get a drip pan from Tom.

The last thing I need is the "What'd you order this time?" interogation from the Misses/CFO/Mail Sorter/Part~time Fuddy Duddy. Nope...can't do it again.

Hey, that's not a bad price. Then again...you really never know where the line is until you cross it. :wink:

Norcoredneck
03-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Hey, that's not a bad price. Then again...you really never know where the line is until you cross it. :wink:
Believe me they work great. Nice to hang it and not set it on your worksurface. Order a wiggle rod at same time. Need it for long cooks especially with platesetter.

kyles Q crew
03-20-2008, 08:58 PM
I wonder if i am one of the 2 strapping nehpews who will be moving it?

Sawdustguy
03-21-2008, 04:47 AM
Absolutely!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

MileHighSmoker
03-31-2008, 06:17 PM
What ever happened to getting some pictures of Sam-i-am? (Great Name BTW) Is it still raining? I am getting a GBE bug going myself lately, and am hoping to pacify it some vicariously through your purchase.

:wink:

tjv
03-31-2008, 06:35 PM
Congrats on picking up the XL and thanks to all for the kind works on my stuff. T