PDA

View Full Version : rib stacking question

grillfella
03-12-2008, 02:29 AM
Hey boys I have one of these offset smokers

http://www.bbqgalore.com/smokers/misc/173543

my question is can I stack pork spares on top of eachother. I have to smoke 14 racks of pork spares this weekend. I know all 14 will not fit, I have other smokers, I was just wondering more or less what would be the max for this type of smoker

Norcoredneck
03-12-2008, 03:25 AM
I would venture to say if you stuffed 14 racks in there and attempted to cook them you would not get a call back. I would bet 2 rib racks (holders) and maybe a few leaners is about best.

swamprb
03-12-2008, 04:18 AM
Well at least you won't have to do any mods on the Bar-B-Chef, but hope you enjoy tending fire.

FatDaddy
03-12-2008, 05:33 AM
i would go rib racks and a couple of leaners like Pat mentioned. and rotate them to compensate for hot spots etc. i dont think u would get 14 racks in there. you might be able to roll em up and set em in there that way. i dont know what the clearance is inside of your pit though.

Pipin' Pig
03-12-2008, 07:55 AM
I have to smoke 14 racks of pork spares this weekend. I know all 14 will not fit, I have other smokers, I was just wondering more or less what would be the max for this type of smoker.

I would cook them in advance to just before you would sauce/glaze them and then pull them. Then you can reheat over a grill (or grills) while you sauce them. Unless you have a smoker large enough to hold them all at once in a rack, I think this is your best bet.

TOPS BBQ
03-12-2008, 12:12 PM
I have one of those and you are never going to get 14 racks in there without ruining at least 6. A rib rack will hold 6 racks and a couple of leaners. Of course, once you wrap them, you can stack them, but that is all.

Good luck.

Divemaster
03-12-2008, 12:22 PM
I still have an old Brinkman that is the same style and I think size...

I have one of those and you are never going to get 14 racks in there without ruining at least 6. A rib rack will hold 6 racks and a couple of leaners. Of course, once you wrap them, you can stack them, but that is all.

Good luck.

I Agree with Tops... I think I would batch it into two groups...

Barbarian
03-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Just quit using that smoker for the UDS. Not much chance of getting 14 racks in there.

dmprantz
03-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Put me square in the don't stack, two batches of 7 with racks and leaner(s), cook in advance camp. I have a NBSS, and rib capacity is one of the big reasons why I bought a different cooker recently.

dmp

Divemaster
03-12-2008, 12:40 PM
I have a NBSS, and rib capacity is one of the big reasons why I bought a different cooker recently.

dmp
That's one of the (many) reasons I bought the Lang...

Porky
03-12-2008, 12:48 PM
As was mentioned by "meanmna" cook them in advance and then just warm them up. I have that model BB Chef and it just won't do the job your asking about.

grillfella
03-12-2008, 01:45 PM
thanks boys, I guess I will indirect my weber ranch kettle to compensate

icemn62
03-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Other than the lack of space to cook enough ribs for your needs, how do you feel about the Bar-B-Chef Offset Smoker

TOPS BBQ
03-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Gary,

The BBChef is a pretty nice unit. They do require some mods in order to really use it to its full potential. I used to have two of them and that's what I competed with. Leaves little room for error and they sure are heavy. Loading and unloading those suckers in and out of the back of a truck was a hassle.

I moved way up with my FAT 50. I'm loving that smoker for sure!

jestridge
03-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Is there a way you could add a temporay shelf to it ribs are not very tall. That would double your space.

TOPS BBQ
03-12-2008, 07:13 PM
You could give it a try, but I'm saying not. There's very little overhead and not very deep. You definitely can't fit two rib racks, one on top of the other.

grillfella
03-13-2008, 02:00 AM
probably not

grillfella
03-13-2008, 02:02 AM
Other than the lack of space to cook enough ribs for your needs, how do you feel about the Bar-B-Chef Offset Smoker

TOPS BBQ
03-13-2008, 04:46 AM
I think it's a great backyard unit. Like I said, I used to compete with two of them. For catering purposes...You're just asking for trouble.