PDA

View Full Version : Pork Butts at Wal-mart

BBQ_Mayor
03-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey All-
I did a practice run with my cooker yesterday. I was mainly dialing in the cooker and practicing trimming up the butt the way I want it for comps.
So I bought a 9lb butt from Wally world. I don't like cooking any of wally worlds pork because it tastes hammy to me and I don't like it, but the price was right for a practice.

This got me to thinking. Does anybody use pork from Wal-mart for Comps?

KC_Bobby
03-10-2008, 09:09 AM
We use Sam's Club. Before I had a membership I bought butts at WM all the time, I never noticed anything bad. However, I didn't care for their picnics.

Divemaster
03-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Check at Sam's... I picked up a case of butt's for $.93 a pound... $63 for 67 pounds....

NCGrimbo
03-10-2008, 09:26 AM
I buy about half of my butts from Wally World. I've never had them taste hammy. I did buy a shoulder that I smoked and it tasted very hammy.

TOPS BBQ
03-10-2008, 09:36 AM
I don't buy from either. They are the owned by the same company right? For pork butts, I just get those at the local butcher. My butcher has them on sale for $.89/lb occassionally, so I just bulk up at those times.

RixCue
03-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Hey Man,

I think I have been there and done that too. If you look at the package label on the butts from Wally you will most likely see they are enhanced. In my experience in a side by side cook with Wally butts and Sams butts I just don’t like the pre enhanced butts from ,ANYWHERE. The butts from Sams are fresh, that to me is the best . Then you can do what you want to them.

Rick

River City Smokehouse
03-10-2008, 09:40 AM
I never buy pork from WM. It is all enhanced and from that it'll taste like ham every time.

Que'inKC
03-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Check at Sam's... I picked up a case of butt's for $.93 a pound... $63 for 67 pounds....

I did the same thing...Saturday I picked up a case for .92 per lbs...I thought it was a great price...Although i had to buy a freezer to put it all in..

Divemaster
03-10-2008, 09:49 AM
I did the same thing...Saturday I picked up a case for .92 per lbs...I thought it was a great price...Although i had to buy a freezer to put it all in..
I'm keeping a lookout for a second freezer... Watch it, once you start they are like smokers, you can never have enough.... lol

Que'inKC
03-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I haven't had a freezer for a while, but since I've been doing all this cook'in I've figured out that i probably needed one...it's a small one...Just a 7cu, but will do for now...

Smokin Gator
03-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Yep,

All the butts and ribs I see at WM are enhanced. I don't buy them except for in a pinch like Saturday morning when I realized I was short 2 racks of BBs.

BBQ_Mayor
03-10-2008, 10:08 AM

Wow! Great price. It'd be good for a party or catering but I never freeze my butts for competition. Alway fresh unfrozen.

I do by all my meat from Sams or Costos. I was just wondering if anybody has ever used WM meat. Sounds like a few have tried it.

bigmeatbbq
03-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I would'nt use it. At least here. The meat at our local WM just plain sucks. I think its one grade above "Fit for human consumption." I buy from a local market that has a butcher. He gives me my choice of butts, brisket and ribs.

tjv
03-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I try to stay away from walmart for anything. Too much a hassle to get to and get around inside......man, I'm getting more and more like my dad, LOL.

Neil
03-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Whole packer brisket is the only cut of meat I buy at Walmart because they are the only store around here that has them. Butts I buy by the case from Sam's and have never had a complaint.

Bigmista
03-10-2008, 01:05 PM
I avoid Walmart wheever I can. Just too crowded and unorganized. Never bought meat from there.

Cabntmkr1
03-10-2008, 01:37 PM
I buy whole packer briskets at W-M, but nothing else because I don't like the enhanced meats.

TOPS BBQ
03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
I avoid Walmart wheever I can. Just too crowded and unorganized. Never bought meat from there.

Finally! Someone who has the same feelings about WM as I do.:eusa_clap

Divemaster
03-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Do you really notice the differance when you freeze them? I can't tell the frozen from fresh when they are side by side.

ipls3355
03-10-2008, 03:36 PM
The butts at our WM are Tyson. I've used them with no problem. They were out last time and I went to a local grocer on the other side of town and he sold me 2 cryovacced for 0.20 cheaper then walmart. He got a new customer that day.

jestridge
03-10-2008, 04:45 PM
I use to buy them from wm they was ok. I buy them from Save-Lot noe they are really good.

scott millman
03-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Not sure if Restaurant Depot is nationwide, but if you have means of gaining a membership to the store I recommend their meat....I get all my meat from them or a butcher who supplies my buddies restaurant...fortunate to have both available

BBQ_Mayor
03-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Do you really notice the differance when you freeze them? I can't tell the frozen from fresh when they are side by side.

I have never had any luck at a comp when I freeze them. Well, to be honest, I have never had much luck with pork period at any comp.
But the frozen butts did worse. I think it breaks down some of the integrity of the meat and it comes out mushy and stringing. It just doesn't cook the same.
So I stick with fresh.
I'm not saying that freezing your butts won't work, it has just not worked for me.

MTHank
03-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Anybody ever see the video/DVD "Is Wal-Mart Good for America?" If not? You need to check it out. I am sure they are not alone in their practices. BUT???
Sorry not trying to hijack here... so I return this to the orginal...

Divemaster
03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I have never had any luck at a comp when I freeze them. Well, to be honest, I have never had much luck with pork period at any comp.
But the frozen butts did worse. I think it breaks down some of the integrity of the meat and it comes out mushy and stringing. It just doesn't cook the same.
So I stick with fresh.
I'm not saying that freezing your butts won't work, it has just not worked for me.
Thanks for the heads up... With this being my first year in comps, I didn't know... I'll have to watch that....

Anyone else notice this????

G$
03-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Does anybody use pork from Wal-mart for Comps?

Yes.

watertowerbbq
03-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Ray,

I use the pork from Fareway and really like it. When I've asked them to get me a butt, they get a pair of them in a cryo pack from their cooler, open it and give me one (the larger one usually :-D). It appears to be the same cryo packs that you can get at Sams. Good luck in KC this weekend!