PDA

View Full Version : Porkrastinators Duck and Pork Rillettes

seth711
02-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Heart attack Warning

I hate to admit it but nothing gets me more excited in the black magic arts of cooking than pates and great cured meats and sausages. I had this at a restaurant a couple weeks ago and was blown away by the flavor and richness of this snack. This can be served warm or cold though when I had it was served warm with crispy French bread and some good whole grain Dijon with small tasty pickles. This is an incredible appetizer that anyone who is into pulled pork will love. It takes a long damn time to make and has that same satisfaction BBQ does with a low and slow process.

Rillettes (French for "planks") is a preparation of meat similar to pâté. Originally made with pork, the meat is cubed or chopped, salted heavily and cooked slowly in fat until it is tender enough to be easily shredded, and then cooled with enough of the fat to form a paste. They are normally used as spread on bread or toast and served cold

Porkrastinators Duck and Pork Rillettes
5lb uncooked pork but cut into small cubes
3 lb uncooked pork belly cut into small cubes
1 lb salt pork cut into small cubes
1/2 rack ribs

optional
2 duck leg quarters

4 shallots, rough chop
1.5 TBS salt
5 allspice balls
1 tsp whole anise seed
25 black peppercorns
15 green peppercorns
3 bay leaves
1/2 bottle dry white wine, chardonnay works well.

cut all meat into 1/2inch-1 inch cubes. Cut ribs down to individual bones. Sprinkle salt on to meat. Place meat in the pot with all other ingredients and cook on low temp. Maintain a VERY slow bubble. Cook 5-7 hours.
Get strainer and strain meat, stirring gently to drain excess fat. Reserve drained fat
Put drained meat into small bowls/ramekins and cover each one with reserved fat. Covering the meat with the fat will seal it from the air and allow prolonged preservation and will stay good in the freezer for more than a year and in the fridge for more than 6 months.
Try this many ways.... Cold, at room temp and warm. Spread on crispy french bread and top with a bit of good mustard and enjoy.

Not for the clogged of heart!

DaChief
02-24-2008, 06:33 AM
OK, now I am intrigued...so where are the PICS????

Ron_L
02-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Sounds good, Seth! Did you take any pictures?

So... will this be available for breakfast at competitions this season? :-D A little rillette on some flatbread along with the 8:30 shot?