PDA

View Full Version : Ordered the WSM

JeffW
02-14-2008, 08:01 AM
I like my Bandera, but even with the mods and a stoker, it just takes a little too much attention. So I ordered the WSM today and will see how it goes. Most of the time I cook only small quantities, so I think it will be perfect for me. If I need to cook more I can fire up the Bandera. I can even use the Stoker to control both.

Think that I will do a turkey first.

The_Kapn
02-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Jeff,

You are gonna love the WSM!
I did exactly the same thing. Modified Dera followed by WSM.
Good choice.

TIM

Divemaster
02-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Sounds like your going to be set for life... (until you need another one)

Spydermike72
02-14-2008, 08:32 AM
The WSM is a great choice!! Use the Minnion method and life is good. You will get about 10-12 hours of burn time on one load on a nice calm day.

Harbormaster
02-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Jeff, you will LOVE LOVE LOVE the WSM.
I liked my first one so much, I bought a second just so it wouldn't be lonely.
I have one of the, if not THE first WSM ever made. Works as well or better as a current model, and there have been no real design changes.

thunter
02-14-2008, 10:00 AM
I know I love both my WSMs! In most cases its "set it and forget it" and for all-nighters you can't beat it!

Tony

BobBrisket
02-14-2008, 10:33 AM
You will love it. I like burning sticks all night as much as the next guy, but with two small kids (2 year old and a 2 month old) I can't do the alnighters anymore. The WSM is fantastic...................15+ hour burns on one load of coal using the Minion. I can still do briskets and get some sleep in the process.

sfisch
02-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Its one of those you cant go wrong with it things. Enjoy!

SCott

noskos
02-14-2008, 02:00 PM
I love my WSM, it's so easy to keep a steady temperature with it! It surprises me every time!!

nthole
02-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Couldn't stand everyone else having all the fun, so that's it, I got one too. Good deal, looking forward to a less troublesome cook!

BobBrisket
02-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Weber should pay us royalties for all these product recommendations.

...Smoke...
02-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Congrats JeffW! I think you will like it, i got mine just after Xmas now they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands lol. I run it stock no mods no water foil the pan thats it works like a charm.

sterlingsmoker
02-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Welcome to the WSM nation!!

JD McGee
02-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Congrats on the new toy...you're gonna love it! :-P

watertowerbbq
02-14-2008, 07:56 PM
love my WSM! i think it's the best cooker for the money. enjoy!

Que'inKC
02-14-2008, 08:08 PM
You will love it..I'm a new WSM owner (cooked on it about 5 times) and it's awesome...Once you get the hang of getting the temp where you want it, everything will be smooth sailing...I love mine....Just wish it held more...But that's why I'm getting a Backwoods!!!!

MattCom
02-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Enjoy! The WSM is very versatile cooker. I do mostly night cooks for big chunks and never even felt the need to use a remote thermometer she holds temp very consistently.
I gave mine a maritime style name: The Julia Gail

Jeremiah
02-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Congratulations on the purchase, I own several and put them all to good use as frequently as I can manage.

You can easily pull overnighters, even without the stoker.

I don't have any temperature control systems and I use water in the (brinkman) water pan and can easily get 16 hour burn times on one load. I'm sure you can easily beat me with the stoker.

If you are going to use water a highly recommend the brinkmann water pan over the stock weber one. It's much larger and will save you from having to refill the water 2-3 times in a (long) cooking session.

http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detail.aspx?category=Outdoor+Cooking&subcategory=Charcoal+Smokers+%26+Grills+Replacemen t+Parts&sku=114-0002-0&id=67 (http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detail.aspx?category=Outdoor+Cooking&subcategory=Charcoal+Smokers+%26+Grills+Replacemen t+Parts&sku=114-0002-0&id=67)

Coz
02-16-2008, 08:26 PM
The thing I liked after I bought the pair I have was how easy it was to get all the info that you need to get started.I asked a couple questions and BOOm off to the races.The learning curve is very easy.If Harbor master could get me going this easy it has be easy.

Azinine
02-16-2008, 08:39 PM
I'll also recommend getting the brinkmann charcoal pan if you're going to do overnight cooks. It holds two gallons as opposed to the weber pan's 1 gallon. I tend to cook with an empty water pan but if I'm doing an overnight I like to have water in there. Helps keep the temps from getting too high.

big blue bbq
02-23-2008, 06:32 PM
You will love it. I like burning sticks all night as much as the next guy, but with two small kids (2 year old and a 2 month old) I can't do the alnighters anymore. The WSM is fantastic...................15+ hour burns on one load of coal using the Minion. I can still do briskets and get some sleep in the process.

I just put my WSM together and have if fired up in the back yard. Waiting for Lisa (wife mod) to come home to put some sausage in it. What do you guys consider a full load of coal?

Larry

smokestack
02-23-2008, 06:48 PM
fill the whole ring up with unlit and a few small chunks of wood and then place 15 to 20 lit coals scattered on top and find something else to do for about 12 hours:-D

Jeremiah
02-23-2008, 06:57 PM
For sausages you definitely do not need a whole ring full of coal. I like to go for a slow start with sausage to give them plenty of time to get flavor at the lower end of the temperature range. I would say 1 full chimney of briquettes plus 10 lit on top of that, once in unlit are in the ring, should give your more than enough fuel.

For a full load, I can usually squeeze 15 lbs. of briquettes in there (far less for lump, but get the same amount of burn time if the volume is the same) along with wood chunks scattered about. This for the most part can last me 18 hours.

You can always close down your vents and save whatever is left once you pull your food.