PDA

View Full Version : Never cooked indirect before on a Kettle

CrackerJack from KC
01-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Well my new WSM smoker did not get here by the weekend, and I was counting on being able to try something new this weekend, so I plan on cooking a brisket on the Weber using indirect method.

I have had a weber grill for 20 years and have only ever grilled on it. I could use one of the old electric smoker, but I have done that 100 times, so tomorrow I am turning my kettle into a smoker.

Wish me luck!

cardiac_cadet002
01-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Good luck man, its really easy to do. Here is a link to a thread that shows how I get'er done!!! (Bad rip off mod)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34887

blues_n_cues
01-25-2008, 09:37 PM
no worries it's easy- coals on1 side meat in the middle & a small water pan or coals around in a ring & meat in the middle & dampers 1/2 on top & less on the bottom until yer comfy. p.s. ever cooked onan old smoky ? same principle.

CrackerJack from KC
01-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Just finished eating the brisket. Cooked a LOT slower than I expected using indirect in the Weber. Kept it between mostly between 250 and 300, and it took 9 hours to get the meat to 165 degrees.

Would have liked to get it another 5 degrees warmer, but it was dinner time and the family was starving. Had a nice smoke ring and great flavor, just a little firmer than I like.

I never used a thermometer in the water smoker, and I have a funny feeling that I have been smoking around 350 or more degrees in the water smoker because it usually took around 5 or 6 hours to finish a brisket.

I used Lump to cook with, and I had lots of ups and downs with the temperature on the Weber, have a feeling that kingsford might have been a lot more consistant.