PDA

View Full Version : What kinda meats for my first comp?

thenewguy
01-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Ok, I realize the brisket and prk butt...what kind of chicken is mostly cooked,thigh?breast? and is it generally grilled?
I smoke mostly pork loin ribs,is this the norm in comps? I don't wanna make something that the judges are not used to.
I'm taking a judging class next month but I need to do some more rib and chicken cooking to get a better feel of my equiptment.
And as always, any secrets are welcome too!
It's starting to look like I may need to utilize an exercise regemin too...Spanky.

Tinybud
01-25-2008, 05:11 PM
chicken thighs seem to be the norm for chicken, usually smoked, then finished on the grill. For me, I used to do nothing but loin back. But have found to get higher scores with st. lois cut. but that's just my opinion.

TOPS BBQ
01-25-2008, 06:45 PM
I do thighs as well and I smoke them. Some people do legs or breasts and they grill as well. It's whether you know how to get crispy or tender bite thru skin. Unless you do some creative brining or wrapping, you'll get rubbery skin by low & slow.

I prefer the tender bite thru skin. I used to put the best 6-9 pieces in a tin, add a small amount of liquid (your preference) and cover with foil for about an hour after you smoked. I don't do this any longer, because I have a brine and my FAT 50 has a steamer to keep all the food moist.

Good luck.

watertowerbbq
01-25-2008, 08:41 PM
i'd suggest cooking the type of ribs you are most familiar with. we cooked baby back ribs last year and finished 5th in a contest with them. however, i've been cooking st. louis style ribs and i seem to like them better.

as for chicken, i've been thinking of cooking a beer can chicken and turning the breasts in, sliced. i always like the taste and it's always very juicy and it's something different. i've also been thinking of putting some pulled chicken in the box, although i haven't tried it yet. although i've been thinking of doing these things, when it comes to crunch time, i might just go with the thighs. it's what the judges like. the choice is yours.

as far as tips, i would make sure to put at least 10, 12 if possible, ribs in the turn-in box. it will really wow the judges and can help an appearance score.

good luck and have fun :-D

thenewguy
01-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys! Now I'm gonna search the forums and figure out what exactly makes a st louis rib. I told I was the new guy!
I'm assuming most every one is brining their chicken, Is there a difference between brining and injecting?
Search button here I come!

jminion
01-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Here is a step by step guide to St Louis cut rib prep.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/spareribprep.html

BBQ Grail
01-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Give this thread a good read through.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13677

Ford
01-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks guys! Now I'm gonna search the forums and figure out what exactly makes a st louis rib. I told I was the new guy!
I'm assuming most every one is brining their chicken, Is there a difference between brining and injecting?
Lay the ribs down flat with the bones toward you. With your finger find the longest bone. It will be 4 or 5 in from one end and will be a little over half the width of the slab. That's your cut point. Try to cut a line parallel to the side of the risb so each end is about the same height.

Chicken - if you buy Tyson chicken it's already in solution and does not need to be brined. Remember you can't brine until after meat inspection but you can buy Tyson chicken.

Mo-Dave
01-27-2008, 11:43 AM

With brining, the meat is set into the liquid brine and let sit for a determined amount of time. Injecting involves using a pump or syringe device of some type to put the liquid of choice inside the meat.

I never do either with chicken but I am thinking of putting some rub under the skin and see how that goes.

Hear is an excellent web site from another forum all about ribs, its a good read.
Dave

Rib cuts (http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/rib_cuts.html)

Mo-Dave
01-27-2008, 12:06 PM
i'd suggest cooking the type of ribs you are most familiar with. we cooked baby back ribs last year and finished 5th in a contest with them. however, i've been cooking st. louis style ribs and i seem to like them better.

as for chicken, i've been thinking of cooking a beer can chicken and turning the breasts in, sliced. i always like the taste and it's always very juicy and it's something different. i've also been thinking of putting some pulled chicken in the box, although i haven't tried it yet. although i've been thinking of doing these things, when it comes to crunch time, i might just go with the thighs. it's what the judges like. the choice is yours.

as far as tips, i would make sure to put at least 10, 12 if possible, ribs in the turn-in box. it will really wow the judges and can help an appearance score.

good luck and have fun :-D

As a judge I have not come across any sliced breast meat that scored well it can get very dry very quickly. and I don't recommend pulled chicken, it does not do well either, although I am sure some have done ok with it. I would not put pulled in with whole parts just stick with one item.

Don't mix different parts of the chicken in your turn in box it just leaves room for a judge having to pick a part they may not care for.

Lastly I go for the bite through skin much easier to archive and maintain. Crispy skin is nice but can turn hard and if you put sauce on it it can turn rubbery by the time it gets to the judges. Again some have probably done ok with this but I prefer to take no chances at contest, at home experiment to your harts content.

Remember your chicken parts will finish at different temps so a beer can chicken may not be ideal for a cookoff.
Dave

watg?
01-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Everything I read seems to favor chicken thighs and spare ribs. My advice would be do what you think comes out best, then go from there.

Mo-Dave
01-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Ford said.
Chicken - if you buy Tyson chicken it's already in solution and does not need to be brined. Remember you can't brine until after meat inspection but you can buy Tyson chicken.
__________________________________________________ _______

Ford I have always found it odd that KCBS will allow pre enhanced meat but not allow something like a pre marinaded lemon pepper chicken, not that I would want to use it.
Dave

Ford
01-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Ford I have always found it odd that KCBS will allow pre enhanced meat but not allow something like a pre marinaded lemon pepper chicken, not that I would want to use it.
Dave
The logic is threefold. First Tyson, etc. use chicken broth so natural flavor as opposed to lemon pepper that is changing the natural flavor. Second, Tyson is trying to take over the world and in some places you can only get enhanced. Third is how can you tell if chicken is enhanced looking at it or smelling it. As we're allowed to pre-trim there's no way to enforce a rule banning solution enhanced chicken.

Bbq Bubba
01-27-2008, 04:27 PM
As a judge I have not come across any sliced breast meat that scored well it can get very dry very quickly. and I don't recommend pulled chicken, it does not do well either, although I am sure some have done ok with it. I would not put pulled in with whole parts just stick with one item.

Don't mix different parts of the chicken in your turn in box it just leaves room for a judge having to pick a part they may not care for.

Lastly I go for the bite through skin much easier to archive and maintain. Crispy skin is nice but can turn hard and if you put sauce on it it can turn rubbery by the time it gets to the judges. Again some have probably done ok with this but I prefer to take no chances at contest, at home experiment to your harts content.

Remember your chicken parts will finish at different temps so a beer can chicken may not be ideal for a cookoff.
Dave

That is some great advise!! :biggrin:

Mo-Dave
01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
[quote=Ford;546583]The logic is threefold. First Tyson, etc. use chicken broth so natural flavor as opposed to lemon pepper that is changing the natural flavor. Second, Tyson is trying to take over the world and in some places you can only get enhanced. Third is how can you tell if chicken is enhanced looking at it or smelling it. As we're allowed to pre-trim there's no way to enforce a rule banning solution enhanced chicken.[/quote

Now I got it.:biggrin:
Dave

thenewguy
01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Lots of good info guys-thanks a lot!

ihbobry
01-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Second, Tyson is trying to take over the world and in some places you can only get enhanced.

Unless you live in a left wing hippster town like I do and you can only get the tyson no hormone/non enhanced green label ( green tyson packaging instead of the red) @ both supermarkets.