PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Grill Advice

grillboy823
01-17-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm just getting into grilling, and I'm looking for a new charcoal grill. I found a site that has good Weber Grills Reviews (http://www.bobbysbest.com/Weber-Grills-Review.html), but I wanted to get a second opinion . I'm thinking of going with the classic Weber kettle...

jpw23
01-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Can't go wrong with a weber:biggrin:

grillfella
01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
make sure you spend a little more for the 22.5 inch gold model. well worth the extra money for the removable ash catcher:-D

Azinine
01-17-2008, 05:15 PM
The classic weber kettle is awesome.

Ron_L
01-17-2008, 05:52 PM
The Gold model is nice. Watch Craig's List for you area. i see a ton of Weber Kettles listed all of the time.

boatnut
01-17-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm just getting into grilling, and I'm looking for a new charcoal grill. I found a site that has good Weber Grills Reviews (http://www.bobbysbest.com/Weber-Grills-Review.html), but I wanted to get a second opinion . I'm thinking of going with the classic Weber kettle...

for charcoal...nothing..and i mean NUTTIN' beats a weber!

cardiac_cadet002
01-17-2008, 07:22 PM
The weber kettle is the paragon of outdoor versatility, from grilling to Q, you can't go wrong with a weber kettle.

txschutte
01-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Weber? You have successfully passed Grilling 101.

smokeandbeer
01-17-2008, 07:43 PM
make sure you spend a little more for the 22.5 inch gold model. well worth the extra money for the removable ash catcher:-D

2nd vote for the 22.5 Gold. Best grill ever made IMO. Plus you can get one of those Smokinator 1000 and have it serve double duty for you.

Smokin Gator
01-17-2008, 07:46 PM
I've never had a Weber Gold, but I have not been without a 22 inch Weber for over 25 years now... and I never will be!!! You should be able to find one on Craigslist without much problem.

EDIT:

I looked on CL in Boston and found these:

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/for/538114897.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/for/537833814.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/hsh/537104140.html

capri man
01-17-2008, 07:50 PM
unless you are pretty young, you wont outlive your weber!!!:wink:

Kevin
01-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Weber kettle gets my vote. I've been grilling for over 30 years. My children gave me my first Weber last year for father's day. WOW. Those kettles are very popular for good reason.

smokinbadger
01-17-2008, 09:27 PM
The Weber kettle is a sure fire choice. I use mine all the time.

icemn62
01-17-2008, 10:09 PM
If you go weber, you would have spent your money with wisdom. I still love to fire mine up every now and then.

KC_Bobby
01-17-2008, 10:25 PM
One of those in the craigslist links has never been used. No brainer, assuming all the parts are there.

Irrad8
01-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Go for it! mine has survived everything from roadtrips to tailgates and even tornadoes. As said above, very versitale and a good selection of accessories.

smokeandbeer
01-17-2008, 10:38 PM
One of those in the craigslist links has never been used. No brainer, assuming all the parts are there.

Based on the Charcoal grate, it looks like it is an 18" and not 22.5". May want to check with the seller first.

Briney Dave
01-18-2008, 08:15 AM
My dad was a gas man through and through, despite my poor up-bringing I learned to grill over charcoal and to BBQ. Two years ago my folks bought a summer place in Angola In. The cabin came complete with a weber kettle in the shed. This thing had to be 20 years old, I cleaned it up and put on a three racks of baby backs. My dad has never bothered to buy a gas grill!!

The kettle is simple but will out last just about anything. You can not go wrong with a weber

Muzzlebrake
01-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Dude.......

do not let these people poison your mind, the Weber kettle is one of the most over rated, over hyped and over priced POS on the market.

Go out to Lowes and get yourself a nice solid Chargriller with the side fire box. For under $200 it is far and away the best grill that I have bought in a long long time. It has an adjustable height removable charcoal pan, cast iron cooking grates and lots of room.

I personally have never had any luck with Weber's. If you want to cook indirect you lose lots of space, cleaning out the ashes from the bottom is always a PIA, the legs always seem to fall out and the grates are thin and cheesy.

Dont believe the hype forget the Weber.

Now that I have kicked the hornets nest I shall make my exit...........:icon_devil

Briney Dave
01-18-2008, 08:48 AM
I agree with two points, first ash clean out in a kettle is a pain. Not sure that its any better in a cheaper version but it does not hurt to look
second the grill was not intended to do offset cooking, It was a bit of a challenge to cook the ribs without burning them but a water pan can work wonders.
again not sure a cheaper version would be any better at allowing for off set

My weber was free and I have never really taken the time to price them out feature to cost
think about how you will be cooking most often and go from there.

I can't get hornet mad about a grill, knock my pit and then there will be some buzzing LOL
have a great weekend
Briney

Muzzlebrake
01-18-2008, 07:23 PM
My weber was free

cant beat that price

I paid $35 for the pair I have but I never use them. Keeping them around in case I decide to make a UDS or maybe for parts on an upcoming Bandera mod I have been thinking of doing

smokeandbeer
01-18-2008, 07:54 PM
The Char-Griller is a good piece of equipment for Grilling, but requires quite a few mods to get working correctly for smoking IMO. Between needing a charcoal basket, smokestack MOD, and a damper, it is not really ready to go out of the box. However all of those MOD's are pretty inexpensive and one done will make it into a great smoker. Although mine still has some variation from one end to the other during the colder times of the year.
On the Weber Kettle, ash cleanup is easy with the Gold series which has a removable contained catch on the bottom.

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2007/charcoal/OneTouchGold22.aspx

And the Char-Griller is a monster for cooking a lot of food...

http://www.chargriller.com/shop/grills/smokin-pro.html

Pick either, and you won't go wrong. Just pick one that you are comfortable with, and smoke on!

Smokin Gator
01-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Dude.......

do not let these people poison your mind, the Weber kettle is one of the most over rated, over hyped and over priced POS on the market.

I personally have never had any luck with Weber's. If you want to cook indirect you lose lots of space, cleaning out the ashes from the bottom is always a PIA, the legs always seem to fall out and the grates are thin and cheesy.

OMG... I am speechless at the sacrilegious nature or his words!!! A Weber kettle a POS!!!!

Norcoredneck
01-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Dude.......

Now that I have kicked the hornets nest I shall make my exit...........:icon_devil

I think Muzzlebrake is having a bad hair day :wink:. Wonder how he will feel when it blows over, will he grovell and appoligize to the masses?

Muzzlebrake
01-19-2008, 10:36 AM
OMG... I am speechless at the sacrilegious nature or his words!!! A Weber kettle a POS!!!!

knew that bait could be out there so long before someone bit......
:twisted:

I think Muzzlebrake is having a bad hair day :wink:. Wonder how he will feel when it blows over, will he grovell and appoligize to the masses?

lmao!

I can say I have lots of hair don't know about good hair.......
hmmmmm............. maybe if the G-men win tomm should I become a blue hair?
:rolleyes::confused::wink::cool: