PDA

View Full Version : To 1/2" or not to 1/2"?

dmprantz
01-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I am having a pit built, backyard unit, and am considering getting the
firebox 1/2" in stead of the standard 1/4". I've read here and
elsewhere that it is one of the most important upgrades to get. The
manufacturer said he would be glad to do it, but he felt it was not
needed on a pit this size. I was surprised that he was not asking to
take more of my money and called two other respected pit makers to ask
their opinions. One said it was not needed on a 20" cooker, and
wouldn't help out "much" on a 24" backyard cooker, but its bennefits
would be seen on anything 24" or higher. Another maker, whom I
honestly don't respect much, told me that *ANY* pit should have the
upgrade fee paid, even a 20"x30" pit and go with 1/2" steel on the
firebox.

So what are every one else's opinion? I doubt any of you
will suggest that it will hurt my pit, but does any one think a 1/2"
firebox will not help? I only want to buy this pit once and don't want
to to realize down the road that I should have bought a heavier
firebox. The pit will be a 24x33x26 square upright pit with a 24x24
firebox. That's approximately 16.5 Cubic Feet of Volume and 39.5
Square Feet of Surface Area. That's an equivalent volume to a 30"x40"
round cooker, and equivalent surface area to a 30"x55" round
cooker...of course all on it's side. Any one have any thoughts? Any
one who isn't trying to sell me something: Will I notice it or not? Thanks.

dmp

ps, are people here really dropping "high end" pitts for UDSes, or are they just the new toys?
I do have a spare Webber Kettle in the backyard and several old ECB water pans.

tony76248
01-13-2008, 10:17 AM
3/8" will work just fine. But definitely go larger than the 1/4".

The reason for going with the thicker firebox, is to prevent diistortion when you build up high heat. I have seen so many times where the door to the firebox doesn't latch right due to the distortion. Therefore it will definitely last longer.

ZILLA
01-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Are you saying that he will upgrade 1/4" to 1/2" for free? Do it. I have a few friends that have 1/2" and 3/8" pipe fireboxes on 20" and 24" pits and they swear by them. For a larger pit you might ask for an insulated firebox. That would help in real cold weather.

Norcoredneck
01-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Consider the balance when moving. 3/8" would do a great job and will never burn out.

tony76248
01-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Plus it would not be as heavy to go with 3/8" vs 1/2"....But 1/4 is to thin. I think we are in agreement on that one.

dmprantz
01-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Are you saying that he will upgrade 1/4" to 1/2" for free?

No. The upgrade on the 24"x24" firebox costs money, but is a great price to me. I was gonna do it until he said "on a pit this size it's unneccesary." I still think I'm gonna do it though, or ask him about 3/8" for half the price:) I just wanted to see what others said.

For a larger pit you might ask for an insulated firebox. That would help in real cold weather.

He offers these too for more money, but I don't think I'm gonna go down that road for a pit this size.

dmp

thillin
01-13-2008, 11:49 AM
What builder are you going with?

smokinbadger
01-13-2008, 12:42 PM
When I ordered my MasterChef, Dave Klose told me that the 1/2" firebox was a good upgrade for cold temps, but that an insulated firebox was overkill. I had not thought about distortion due to high temps being an issue--I was mainly concerned about keeping uniform temperatures on cold days. So far I have been very happy with the pit, and the only weather related issues have been due to a lot of cold wind blowing on the smoke chambers, which I have dealt with by putting in wind breaks and putting blankets on the smoke boxes.

Mark
01-14-2008, 02:17 PM
DMP:

About UDS versus high-end smokers. I got an old Bandera that should last for many more years (due to extensive mods) and a stainless UDS that is the ideal portable rig for what I really need. The Bandera will do 16 whole chickens (or similar sized roasts) at a time and the UDS can do about the same (with extension ring). Sure, I'd like to own a Klose, Spicewine or whatever but I can't justify it.

Over the years, much of this website has moved towards competition smoking and (usually)bigger toys. For many of us, that's not in the cards and/or just isn't that appealing. OTOH, if it's something you really want to get into, go for it.

Technically speaking, mass does matter and the more the better, generally (financial considerations aside.).

Ford
01-14-2008, 03:35 PM
When I ordered my MasterChef, Dave Klose told me that the 1/2" firebox was a good upgrade for cold temps, but that an insulated firebox was overkill. I had not thought about distortion due to high temps being an issue--I was mainly concerned about keeping uniform temperatures on cold days. So far I have been very happy with the pit, and the only weather related issues have been due to a lot of cold wind blowing on the smoke chambers, which I have dealt with by putting in wind breaks and putting blankets on the smoke boxes.
I had a mobile catering 6'x24 and it was all made from 1/4" steel. Never had a problem keeping temps but in winter I added fuel more often. 1/2" probably is not needed. I totally agree with insulated on bigger pits as my 36"x8' had insulated firebox and it was darn fuel efficient. And always make sure the firebox intake is away from the wind.

dmprantz
01-14-2008, 03:45 PM
About UDS versus high-end smokers. I got an old Bandera that should last for many more years (due to extensive mods) and a stainless UDS that is the ideal portable rig for what I really need. The Bandera will do 16 whole chickens (or similar sized roasts) at a time and the UDS can do about the same (with extension ring).

Sounds nice. Maybe some time soon you'll invite me across the Missouri river to see your UDS and Bandera. In the mean time, I spoke with the builder. They don't do 3/8", but I hope this pit lasts me a long, long time, and I'd rather spend a little money now to ensure that it does.

I'd love to get into competition, but things are crazy. They canceled the second STL competition that was to be at Harrah's, and then the one that was going to be sponsered by SuperSmokers, well after SS went under Terry had no desire to have a comp. Just found out today that there is one coming up in Florissant, but it's on my wedding day (doh!).
The good news in all this, my father in law (to be) is an old hat in competitions, and we'll enter some together even though he isn't in town...

Anyway, thanks all for the info and advice. In the end, the 1/2" is being bought as insurance.

Daniel

jestridge
01-14-2008, 05:01 PM
I have an off set
the cooking chamber and firebox is 1/2 it stay hot in any kind of weather. Only reason it 1/2 because the metal was free. I think 1/4 should work fine. I have one firebox made out of 12 ga an it hasn't wrap .

ZILLA
01-14-2008, 09:16 PM
1/4" pipe/plate is not too thin. Properly cared for it will easily out last any owner. The point is, for cold weather thicker is better. Get the heaviest you can afford.

JamesB
01-15-2008, 12:26 AM
The more mass, the better the heat retention... If you can swing it, go for the 1/2". Well worth it. The reverse flow offset in my avatar has a 1/2" plate firebox and the pipe is 3/8"... About the only thing that will sap heat out of it, once up to temp, is rain.

James.