PDA

View Full Version : Delmonico Steak ????

Meat Burner
01-12-2008, 04:32 PM
:?: Need to ask some advise from the Brethren. Picked up some delmonico steaks today. Not sure what cut it actually is but looks good. Was thinking just S & P or Montreal Steak seasoning and on the weber. Finish with some butter before serving.:biggrin: Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BBQ Grail
01-12-2008, 04:35 PM
What is a Delmonico Steak?

There are more than sixty different beef cuts in the meat case today. Add in the fact that many cuts have several different names and the meat case can be very confusing.
And a steak may be labeled a certain name in one area of the U.S., and the same labeled name in another area might be a completely different cut of steak.
In my area, Southeast Missouri, a Delmonico steak is a Boneless Top Sirloin beef steak.

In other parts of the country, a Delmonico is a Bone-In Top Loin Steak (cut from the short loin), or a Rib-Eye Steak (cut from the rib).

So, unless you know if the Delmonico steak you have had before was cut from: the Short Loin, Sirloin, or Rib, it's hard to tell exactly what you have eaten before as a Delmonico steak.
You could possible look at the above three choices labeled as such in the grocery's meat case, and see if one of those "looked" like what you had before. If so, then go with that one.
I know this wasn't a quick easy answer, but there really isn't one. But I hope this sets you out on the right path.

Link (http://www.askthemeatman.com/answers/answer_to_delmonico_steak.htm)

I had a Delmonico steak at the Capital Grille in Tampa last week and it was a Ribeye

nthole
01-12-2008, 04:44 PM
What Larry said.

Except it's interesting to note from your photo I'd have guessed those are actually two different cuts. The two on the left look like a ribeye standard based on the outer fat ring, while the two on the right look like a short loin based on the unevenness of the marbeling and shape. So maybe you got a sampler!

Meat Burner
01-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks nthole. All on the weber and the sample them all.:biggrin: Do you think just S&P or Montreal Steak seasoning? May do two each way.

Ron_L
01-12-2008, 04:52 PM
The original Delmonico Steak is from DelMonico's Restaurant and is a bone in ribeye.

How thick are those babies? I'd agree with Montreal Steak Seasoning or S&P and garlic. When i do steaks on the weber I build a fir on one side of the kettle that is as hot as I can get it. Then i sear the steaks directly over the coals for two to three minutes per side. Then I move them to the other side of the grill and finish indirect. For a 1" thick steak I cook them 5-6 minutes on one side and then 6-7 minutes on the other for medium rare.

Meat Burner
01-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Ron L, thanks for the help. Glad you mentioned the garlic. Will use fresh garlic but have some granulated garlic from "Spice Barn" that is really good. Will do the weber the way you mentioned. Man, I'm getting hungry!!!

chinesebob
01-12-2008, 05:02 PM
spice's got a new gourmet seasoning we just tried on NY Strip and it was awesome.

LMAJ
01-12-2008, 08:07 PM
I typically just go with S&P then let the beef speak for itself - that's just me though...
Let us know what you go with and don't forget the pics!

Meat Burner
01-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Went with the Montreal Steak Seasoning. Seared a couple minutes each side and moved to the other side of the weber about 7 mins each side. Came out really good!!!

nthole
01-13-2008, 09:16 AM
OH man...that looks good. That would make a nice breakfast :wink:.

I usually go with S&P just because I'm a pretty simple person. But I have some steak seasoning I use to when I'm feeling creative. It's not the Montreal, just the straight Weber seasoning.

fnnm358
01-13-2008, 09:29 AM
i love a delmonico steak

sure looks good

Hiloboy
01-13-2008, 12:26 PM
man i'm with you on that .. hawaiian salt and some pepper and let the steak speak for its self...great job on the steaks!!!

cayenne
01-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah...a girlfriend of mine in NH said she got some Delmonico steaks awhile back, and I had no idea what the hell they were....then we figured out they were what I call a ribeye.

I just figured it was another case of those 'yankees' having a different word for everything.
:-)

Hehehe...but seriously, I've gone up to visit up there, and they have this meat shop called Mike's Red Barn...BEST choice of steaks I've ever seen.....we've had 'delmonicos', MY String steaks (I think they called it a shell steak?), and filets, that were fantastic....

cayenne

gotwood
01-13-2008, 05:23 PM
http://www.steakperfection.com/delmonico/Steak.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delmonico_steak

Looks like the boneless top loin steak

Meat Burner
01-13-2008, 05:33 PM
http://www.steakperfection.com/delmonico/Steak.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delmonico_steak

Looks like the boneless top loin steak
Now I have no and I mean no idea what we had...but it was sure good! That little pad of butter during resting always kicks it up a notch!:-D

Norcoredneck
01-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Looks better than good! So what's in a name anyhow.