PDA

View Full Version : BBQ-Guru at lower temperatures

Don Marco
01-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Howdy folks...

Is there any trick to make the BBQ Guru run a pit lower than 175 F (the lowest setting on the dial) ?

I wanna smoke some jerky tomorrow in the WSM and my target temperature is 140 to 150 F.

Thanks,

DM

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-12-2008, 06:53 AM
go to the Guru site. I think it says to wrap the meat probe and the pit probe together in foil and it tricks it into running at a lower temp. I read it in the competitors user guide this morning while in the "office".

Sal

smokinbadger
01-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Another approach would be to put the pit probe in the hottest part of the smoker and put the meat in the part that is normally coolest. I have noticed up to a 30F difference in the top and bottom rack in my WSM, so this may work for you. Good luck.

Mitch
01-12-2008, 08:45 AM
I haven't tried it yet. I want to cold smoke some salmon at 130. Let us know how your cook comes out.

thirdeye
01-12-2008, 09:04 AM
That's how I do my jerky. On the Competitor model, wrapping both probes in foil then setting the meat temp where you want it, then powering up the Competitor will put it into ramp mode. In Ramp mode, the meat probe overrides the pit probe. It works great for colder smoking.

Mitch
01-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks, Thirdeye.

Don Marco
01-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Thank you Birdeye, now thats a smart idea to do it.

IŽll post the results tomorrow.

DM

Mo-Dave
01-12-2008, 11:56 AM
go to the Guru site. I think it says to wrap the meat probe and the pit probe together in foil and it tricks it into running at a lower temp. I read it in the competitors user guide this morning while in the "office".

Sal

Does the competitors user guide you speak of come with the Guru? I have one that I have not installed yet and I don't see a guide you refer to. If it does not come with it then were did you get it, thanks.

Opps It looks like you got it off the website guess I should pay closer attention.
Dave

thirdeye
01-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Does the competitors user guide you speak of come with the Guru? I have one that I have not installed yet and I don't see a guide you refer to. If it does not come with it then were did you get it, thanks.

Opps It looks like you got it off the website guess I should pay closer attention.
Dave

Mine did, but I have an older one. Also got a quick reference card. the one thing mine did not have was the full calibration procedure, which is in the online version.

smokinbadger
01-12-2008, 01:32 PM
FYI, the Stoker lets you control down to 100F. I have used it recently for some cold smoking with a set point of 80F and that worked OK too.