PDA

View Full Version : My First Tri Tip

Big Mike
01-12-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm out here in California teaching a class for a couple of weeks. On the first day of class I introduce myself and give a little background on myself and my hobbies. Of course BBQ is discussed. So later in the week, my students asked me to cook some bbq. When they said bbq, they of course meant tri tip. I had never cooked tri tip; actually I had never even seen tri tip, but I agreed to do it.

So, today after they completed the test over the first half of the course, I cooked 5 tri tips.

two I just used a rub on and three I rubbed and marinated for a couple of hours with a sesame ginger marinade. I put them on 425 degree grill and then immediately lowered the temp down to 325. I didn't have a meat thermometer so I cooked them by touch until they were about medium. I took em off and let them rest while I grilled about 30 mild and hot sausages and some corn on the cob and made some Au Jus.

We sliced up the tri tips and served on hoagie buns with Au Jus.

I gotta say, the tri tip was outstanding. I will definately be looking for it when I get back home to Ohio.

Spydermike72
01-12-2008, 05:46 AM
Uh, Pics please ?? You cant tease us like that without pics!!

Don Marco
01-12-2008, 06:27 AM
I am drooling already without seeing pics.

Sounds like a huge success :eusa_clap

DM

Mitch
01-12-2008, 09:08 AM
California is another land. Low and slow is Cheech and Chong driving on the freeway.

C Rocke
01-12-2008, 09:27 AM
California is another land. Low and slow is Cheech and Chong driving on the freeway.

Hey - That's just not right! We "cheech and chong" it at our house all the time.

ThomEmery
01-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Yea Mike Tri Tip Is fun
You can smoke it comes out great

OlyQ
01-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I love a good smoked tri-tip.

Big Mike
01-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Uh, Pics please ?? You cant tease us like that without pics!!

Sorry, no pics. I don't carry a camera with me on my trips.

SmokeyBear
01-12-2008, 06:28 PM
What kind of class are you teaching?

I take it somebody on location provided the cooker?

Big Mike
01-12-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm teaching a class on how to operate and maintain a Satellite Communications Terminal. The site that I am at has a gas grill, so I used that to cook with.

Kevin
01-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey - That's just not right! We "cheech and chong" it at our house all the time.

We used to do that too. But that was back a few decades.