PDA

View Full Version : Taking temperatures

deez20
01-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Wheres the best place for taking temps when doing butts or brisket? The last brisket I did the probe said 160 so I took it out and foiled it, put it back in, replaced the probe in I guess a different spot and it said it was only 150. It's the same with butts, put the probe in 3 different places and get 3 different results. Do you guys just use multiple probes in a piece of meat or just try and stick the probe in the middle to get the best temp. I just got a thermopen for christmas so I guess that will make things easier.

Papa Hogg
01-11-2008, 10:24 PM
I just try to center it & make sure that it is not in a vein of fat or touching a bone...Therma pen will make it easier to take multiple reads quickly...

Bbq Bubba
01-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Wheres the best place for taking temps when doing butts or brisket? The last brisket I did the probe said 160 so I took it out and foiled it, put it back in, replaced the probe in I guess a different spot and it said it was only 150. It's the same with butts, put the probe in 3 different places and get 3 different results. Do you guys just use multiple probes in a piece of meat or just try and stick the probe in the middle to get the best temp. I just got a thermopen for christmas so I guess that will make things easier.

Meat will drop 10 degree's by the time you get it wrapped and back on the pit, don't sweat it!
Otherwise what Papa Hogg said! :wink:

Meat Burner
01-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Meat will drop 10 degree's by the time you get it wrapped and back on the pit, don't sweat it!
Otherwise what Papa Hogg said! :wink:

Good advise!

CajunSmoker
01-12-2008, 06:17 AM
What Bubba said:biggrin: and don't stick it too many places cause you lose juices out of all them little holes IMHO.

Don Marco
01-12-2008, 06:31 AM
I use the thermapen and check at 2 or 3 spots, just to be sure. In my opinion the small thermapen probe doesnt do much damage on Brisket or pork butt.

Steak is another show, though.

DM

Jeremiah
01-12-2008, 08:03 AM
On butts I probe multiple locations and go with an average, ditto for brisket except I make sure to get a few in the point as well as the flat. I'm also more strict with how high I'll let the brisket temps go, or should I say I weight the average a little heavier towards the higher temps that I'm seeing.