PDA

View Full Version : Looking at this Baby!

Ashmont
01-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Hmm Homemade Fatties! Grind up some butts with my seasoning. Maybe make some patties for later.... .89 cents a pound right now at the depot.. Whatcha think? Paid 2.60 for one .lb of Jimmy Dean Monday so looking at alternatives. If I get it the debut will be Jan 25th at the homeless cook. Maybe also slice some butts into pork steaks at that price. So here it is at $99.00...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/64350.jpg

Detailed Description TSM-8 Meat Grinder. Electric grinder models are easier to use than the manual alternative. The most powerful in its class, this 3/4 hp electric grinder can be used to easily process not only fresh meat and game, but also fruits, vegetables, cheese and nuts for use in your favorite recipes. The TSM-8 comes fully equipped with 3/16", 3/8" and 1/4" stainless steel grinding plates, a 1" plastic stuffing tube and a 2 1/8" diameter cutting knife.
Features:
• 120 V, 575 W
• ON/OFF and Reverse Switches
• 3/16", 5/16", 1/8" Grinding Plates
• 2 1/8" diameter Chopper Knife
• 1" Plastic Stuffing Tube
• Meat Pusher
• Stainless Steel Meat Tray, Plates and Auger
• Unit Weight: 10 lbs.
• Overall Dimensions: 13" L x 7" W x 14" H
UL Approved

DaChief
01-11-2008, 01:28 PM
I say go for it. I am good at helping folks spend their money :grin:

BobBrisket
01-11-2008, 01:30 PM
I have Waring Pro model that looks very similar. I like mine, but it's a pain to use it for making link sausage. Otherwise it's a nice little grinder.

Greendriver
01-11-2008, 01:42 PM
The one that Northern Tools carries is the same price unless you catch it on sale and you may even have one of those stores close enough to pick one up and avoid shipping. I know a lot of folks online that have them and no complaints so you may want to check that one out too, online or local. You will want a separate vertical stuffer if you get into making sausage links though. They are well worth the price wheter you do links or not (fresh / custom ground hamburger and like you said bulk sausage).

tony76248
01-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Jimmy Dean sausage is cheap when you think of the amount of work it saves you....and everyone knows that their product tastes great. I have a massive load of items that I have bought with the intention of using often, many times the stuff just takes up space.

If you plan on making a boat load of fatties, I guess it is a good deal.

Mark
01-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Based on the prices you provided, it would pay for itself after less than 60 pounds. (assuming no bone waste in the butts). So maybe the payback is more like 100 pounds.

The first issue I noticed, having done the math for myself a few years ago, is the real power of this unit. 575W/120V = less than 5 amps. That's not alot of power.

What I would do is mount a V-belted motor to a grinder like the one shown below on a 2 X 12 board.

Ashmont
01-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Based on the prices you provided, it would pay for itself after less than 60 pounds.

That means a weekend of Feeding Justin will have paid for it Right? :eek:

Mark
01-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah; it's a good investment; if you've got the free time and enjoy doing that sort of thing.

I just wouldn't invest in that particular unit. But, as you know, I am more atypical than most of us here.

The rig I talked about could be built for similar money and it would probably grind a butt a minute; slightly slower if you forget to debone it.

acorette
01-11-2008, 02:43 PM
For me, I use my grinder as a way to use up some of the rib trimmings... I buy full spares, and cut down to St Loius styles... I used to smoke up the tips as ribs, but I don't enjoy them as much - just due to shape, not taste. Anyway, I grind up the tip meat and make fatties.

CritterCook
01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Bought a grinder/ stuffer on ebay about a week ago. Should be here any day now. Just ordered some casing online. can't wait to make some sausage! What is the store you refer to as depot?

Mark
01-11-2008, 02:49 PM
I think he means Restaurant Depot, and I think I want to go in with Ashmont on the next purchase.

motley que
01-11-2008, 02:53 PM
hey mark i lso have a membership so if you wamt to go just give me a hollar

ZBQ
01-11-2008, 03:01 PM
I just wouldn't invest in that particular unit. But, as you know, I am more atypical than most of us here.

Funny, I hadn't noticed that.:lol:

-highjack mod off-

I use the meat grinder attachment on my Kitchenaid stand mixer and it does a pretty decent job.
I havent found anything that I thought I needed more power for yet. I've ground butt and chuck with no problem. The sausage stuffer tubes suck though. Just doenst work too well.

wlh3
01-11-2008, 03:15 PM
That is one of the grinders I have been looking at. The thread I started a few weeks ago on grinders and stuffers I stated I was leaning to the kitchen aid and grinder attachment. Since then I have hit some sausage forums and did a little more reasearch. The model you show and the northern tool model. I will make my final decision next week. Best of luck to you in your choice:icon_cool

CajunSmoker
01-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I have an old electric grinder I've had for years. I mostly used it for grinding venison but I have started using it to grind butts and it does a decent job. I've never tried the stuffer attachment but I just got some hog casings from the sausage source and have 5#'s of butt cut up and curing to make andouille with. It should be ready to grind and stuff tomorrow and then smoke on Sunday. I'll post some pictures of it when it's done.

Smokin Gator
01-11-2008, 03:43 PM
I too have the Waring Pro (the heavier duty of the two models they make). I have ground hundreds of pounds of venison, pork and beef with it. I've never had problem one. I have found it really helps to cut the meat into like one inch square strips. The motor doesn't strain at all.

I have also made hundreds of pounds of link sausage with it. It is not the easiest thing in the world but it will have to do until I get a dedicated stuffer.

Mark
01-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Check this out

http://reviews.northerntool.com/0394/168631/reviews.htm

Amazon is cheaper price. Also lots on ebay

swamprb
01-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Mark-Check this out!
http://sausagemania.com/grinder.html

Kick that 5 Star rated grinder up a notch!

Ashmont
01-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Its on its way and will be here on the 16th.Wheeeeeeeee :icon_cool. Just in time for our cook. Call The Depot today and ordered 90 butts, some briskets and shhhh lots a ribs maybe depending on price verified tomorrow. .90 cents for boneless butts cant beat that with a stick.....

Kevin
01-13-2008, 03:36 PM
I have an old electric grinder I've had for years. I mostly used it for grinding venison but I have started using it to grind butts and it does a decent job. I've never tried the stuffer attachment but I just got some hog casings from the sausage source and have 5#'s of butt cut up and curing to make andouille with. It should be ready to grind and stuff tomorrow and then smoke on Sunday. I'll post some pictures of it when it's done.

It's Sunday! Care to share your andouille recipe?

Mark
01-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Mark-Check this out!
http://sausagemania.com/grinder.html

Kick that 5 Star rated grinder up a notch!

That's what I'm talkin!