PDA

View Full Version : Pellet smokers

BRTLATJGT
01-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Who makes the best? Are they worth buying over a stick burner?

Thanks

jbrink01
01-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Big or Small, catering or contest or home use? I've had both and the Fast Eddy 500 is awesom. Wish I had another one. The fec 100 seems really popular as well. Must admit though, my Horizon Pit has served us very well too (stick burner).

tony76248
01-11-2008, 01:49 PM
what I know about pellet burners....

Sue-B-Q does very well with them in contests in East TX. She consistantly places high in events I have seen her in. She has a Cookshack FE-100. They require much less attention than do stick burners.

I also see where many folks use them in KCBS events. That said, Most folks in TX are committed to their stick burners. I use a Stumps and there are a few of them being used here in North TX. Three of us to be exact....at this time anyway... we all placed in a few comps last year. It was the first year for all of us using them locally. I came close to a few grand champions. Brian Anding has a pellet pooper hooked up to his Stumps clone.

Then you have the Traeger pellet burners. I think they are a little pricey for the size. I am sure that folks will chime in on them. I have not seen them in comps, but then like I said, most folks in TX use stick burners.

The stick burner requires the most attention compared to the other type cookers.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Sawdustguy
01-11-2008, 02:40 PM
FEC100 is your best bet. Just ask Rod from Pellet Envy who has won umteen GC's using pellet smokers.

Bill-Chicago
01-11-2008, 03:21 PM
I think Bossman like his Traeger.

The THIS (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36041) happened

Wizards of 'Que
01-11-2008, 03:24 PM
I agree with Tony that Sue-B-Q does well with her FEs, but she did well when she was cooking on BGEs.

To me, the advantage of a pellet cooker is consistency. The fuel is consistent. The temps are consistent so cook times are consistent. Also, pellets give you a wide variety of smoke flavors to choose from. They are clean since there is no dealing with charcoal or ashes. Traeger grills are not really smokers. I have cooked on a Traeger 200 that is a great smoker, but its lack of insulation is a major drawback in adverse conditions. A plus is it allows for the use of water in the pit. The newer models have 3 burners instead of one big burner. Any pellet cooker with more than one burner can give you a fiery surprise. The FE 100 is the best pellet smoker for non-commercial use and the larger models are the only ones for commercial application. They require much less tending than, but be a little suspicious of the claims that you sleep all night. These are electro-mechanical devices and they can fail. At comps I keep a temp probe in the exhaust to give me a warning if the cooker has quit or the enternal temp is out of control. It is a dry heat, if you are used to a high humidity cooker you will have some adjustment.

My Backwoods Fatboy with a stoker is more temp consistent and has long burn times, but you are dealing with charcoal mess. You do have ability to cook in a higher humidity environment.

txschutte
01-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Another drawback of the pellet eaters is if a board goes out, and you don't have another, your'e hosed. Too many moving parts IMO. But, if you can keep parts handy, and don't mind the initial investment, go FEC, not Traeger.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Another drawback of the pellet eaters is if a board goes out, and you don't have another, your'e hosed. Too many moving parts IMO. But, if you can keep parts handy, and don't mind the initial investment, go FEC, not Traeger.

Yes... but with a stick burner, if your board goes out.... :eek: just throw in another log..... :biggrin:

tony76248
01-11-2008, 05:11 PM
I guess I should have mentioned the Traegers not having insulation and just like when it rains with a stick burner, you will fight temps all night long. Again, when you look into Traegers, they are IMHO very costly for what you are getting, that said, I am sure there are folks who would own nothing else.

As for what the Wiz said, another great option is definitely the Backwoods, they do very very well here in TX in the cookoffs. There is only one reason I do not like them, that thing is, why get a charcoal burner without gravity feed? Hence I purchased a Stumps. But since they do so well in cookoffs, I will let the experts chime in.

Wizards of 'Que
01-11-2008, 06:32 PM
I should have said that I carry a spare parts kit. It contains a combustion fan motor, Auger motor, controller, and fuses. I don't know much about the IQ4 controller, but it appears you need to carry the whole kit at about $700 or have two cookers. I'm not saying that these cookers a terribly unreliable, but I don't think you can ignore the risk at contests

chad
01-11-2008, 09:04 PM
I've got a stickburning Kingfisher, Tim has a FEC100. We now use the FEC100 at competitions. Sure you risk the chance of system failure, but howling winds and rain take the fun out of stickburners...that's where insulated charcoal burners are real nice!! We had an inverter fail at Plant City, but we caught it in time. Worrying over the "what ifs" probably keep more people from competing than will admit to it.

Depending on the volumn you need to cook most often the FEC100 is probably the best buy (and it ain't cheap) for a pellet pooper. This is just my opinion and your mileage may vary!!

Something that hasn't been mentioned, if you don't have a ready, steady supply of hardwood a stickburner is not an especially good option. I have had and still have a steady supply of oak and some occassional pecan, hickory, etc. when Tim comes across a supply.

Personally, I want a FEC500, but unless I hit the Lotto that's not going to happen any time soon. So, I use my Kingfisher at home, church, parties and bask in the warm glow of the FEC100 at competitions!! I will say that my Kingfisher with a good fire going was pretty popular at Douglas, GA, during the overnight session!!

I've had a good look at a lot of smokers and really want one of each!! I really like the Jack's Old South Signature shoulder cooker as well as the whole hog cooker. Volumn out the wazzoo and charcoal baskets or hardwood for heat.

But, I digress! Do the research and figure out what YOU want. Opinions are definately like *******s...everyone has one. When you find the cooker YOU want, you'll know it and adapt.

Brian in So Cal
01-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Its cheating!!!:cool::rolleyes::biggrin:

HoDeDo
01-11-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm somewhat in the same vein as Dave.... I used to use a Kingfisher for everything. Now I use an FEC-100 and a Country smoker Whole Hog at the competitions. The Kingfisher turns out consistent product and is great for parties/catering gigs.

For versatility, I don't think you can beat a country smoker (grill at high heat, or slow and low with great smoke penetration to boot)BUT it is not impervious to the weather. You can crank it up, and still cook in cold/wet weather, but not like in a double walled cooker - the FEC is almost too easy.

Also ease of repair.... The CS cookers, are super easy to clean/maintain. They use a paddle wheel instead of an auger - so no auger jamming nightmares like a traeger.

Lots of options...alot depends on how much you want to spend as well.... $600? $3000? $11,500?

blues brother
01-24-2008, 11:50 PM
I Compete with a Stump gf223, and love it. Pellet poopers have always been just wrong to me...untill I was given a traeger lil tex to cook on(about 3 months now).
I love the little chit. Tonight I smoked a pork loin and a fattie. Both are killer good. I use the traeger more than any other cooker I have.
I don't know if I could compete w/a traeger...electical and mecanical issues and the cost of a comp being flushed by a breakdown... so far so good on the back porch and a few local cooks for charities with the traeger. Long story short...my Traeger is a great smoker.

kickassbbq
01-25-2008, 06:04 AM
Stick Burners Rule!!!!
I like fires, real fires!

CharlieBeasley
01-25-2008, 06:52 AM
As a non competitor I really do not have a dog in the fight. I will say I have looked at smokers every sense Chad and Tim invited me to Key Largo to audit a comp and here are my *******s (I appear to have many) 1. FEC 100 would be the top of my list for stability 2. Oh Sh** the electric went out so I want the Stumps Gravity feed . 3 Stumps comes with a stoker or Guru not sure which but all the advantages of the Fast Eddy with a fall back if the power does go out. 4 A stick burner is cheaper for cooking volume as far as I can tell but then you have to buy the truck to hall it I really liked Chads Kingfisher enough I found one that a northern Red Neck (I was supprised but they do make them) bought I should have Oh well. So the conclusion to this ramble is 1. What Chad said it is what floats your boat! 2. Which Lotto you hit. and 3. What the significat other will approve I got the Smokette 008 on order.

ThomEmery
01-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Got an FEC 100 Works fine
Got a Spicewine somewhere between MO and CA
Got a Klose it is fine also

They all work it comes down to who you are as a cook
I love BBQ out of a BDS or a OL Hickory I love BBQ

KC_Bobby
01-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Sounds like the solution is to get something between the stick burner and the pellet pooper ... the insulated vertical cabinet smoker.

Weather - no issue
Broken electronics - no problem, instead of being on auto pilot adjust the damper manually and you're still on cruise control

Presented to you by Backwoods, Stumps and Spicewine.

River City Smokehouse
01-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Sounds like the solution is to get something between the stick burner and the pellet pooper ... the insulated vertical cabinet smoker.

Weather - no issue
Broken electronics - no problem, instead of being on auto pilot adjust the damper manually and you're still on cruise control

Presented to you by Backwoods, Stumps and Spicewine.
How about a Stick Pooper!:biggrin:

KC_Bobby
01-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Stumps is kind of a charcoal pooper. Not sure what to call Backwoods and Spicewine maybe coal conservers.

tony76248
01-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Stumps is a gravity feed to be correct. With an auger it would be a pooper! :biggrin: