PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Smoker Pit.....Opinions Needed.

BobBrisket
01-11-2008, 09:59 AM
I need another toy like I need a bullet in the head. But, the price is unreal and these seem to be heavy duty units. The guy I'm buying it from got it from one of his tenants that left it behind. He has no use for it and is holding it for me till Sunday. I can't pass it up. He says it's been outdoors and a bit weathered, but as thick as this steel is, I figure all it will need is a good cleaning, reseasoning, and some new paint. It even has the therm on it.
From his descriptions, I think it's the SWS2436-OF model at the bottom/right of the link I provided. Either way, I'm getting it. I've been longing for a small stick burner since I gave my Brinkmann S&P to my dad. What do you guys think?
Based on where the stack is located, would it be a reverse flow?

http://www.southwestsmoker.com/swsproducts.htm

Westexbbq
01-11-2008, 10:40 AM
I like it.
Not sure about the reverse flow.
Good luck.

WineMaster
01-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Get it
Have fun with it

Divemaster
01-11-2008, 10:47 AM
I like it.
Not sure about the reverse flow.
Good luck.
I like it because of the reverse flow!

tony76248
01-11-2008, 02:11 PM
It is reverse flow only if there is a floor beneath the grate which will ensure that the smoke passes from one end of the smoker to the other and then back again.

One thing to know is if it is reverse flow, they can be a bear to regulate the heat with. Lang smokers while inexpensive are very difficult to keep at a constant temp. Plus you will notice that Langs usually have a rusted out firebox from running such high fires. This is just my observation on Langs that I have seen at comps. Not sure if the same problem would exist here, but I would probably bet money on it.

I would prefer if the firebox were 3/8" if it is reverse flow.

Porky
01-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BobBrisket
01-11-2008, 02:18 PM
I don't think it's reverse flow since it isn't mentioned anywhere on the website. Plus, I don't know if they would go through that trouble on a small unit like this one. It just struck me as odd that the exhaust stack is on the same end as the firebox. It's usually opposite of it. Fark it, I can always pull out the grinder and welder and mod it just for the heck of it. I may be picking it up today. I don't want the guy selling to someone else or changing his mind. I'll have pics tonight or tomorrow. Thanks Brothers!

tony76248
01-11-2008, 02:22 PM
You never did mention how much????

BobBrisket
01-11-2008, 02:28 PM
I'll tell you guys when I get it. I don't want to jinx myself. Let's just say it's a hellacious score. Brand new they run $1500-$1750 if it's the model I think it is. He couldn't find a model # on it. They don't make any smaller models than the one I mentioned and the difference between the $1500 and $1750 models is 4 inches less in diameter. Cross your fingers for me!! I smell lots of Q coming outta this thing for Sunday's game if she becomes mine!!

Sawdustguy
01-11-2008, 02:30 PM
It is reverse flow only if there is a floor beneath the grate which will ensure that the smoke passes from one end of the smoker to the other and then back again.

One thing to know is if it is reverse flow, they can be a bear to regulate the heat with. Lang smokers while inexpensive are very difficult to keep at a constant temp. Plus you will notice that Langs usually have a rusted out firebox from running such high fires. This is just my observation on Langs that I have seen at comps. Not sure if the same problem would exist here, but I would probably bet money on it.

That couldn't be further from the truth. It is very easy to keep the Lang at a steady temperature. Some may find it difficult because you need to feed it often, but that is true of all stick burners and it has nothing to do with reverse flow. If tended properly the Lang or for that matter most other stick burners are not difficult to keep at a constant temperature. I have have my Lang for 3 years and it has worked just fine. The only reason we don't use it during comps anymore is that we enjoy a good nights sleep using the Spicewine. You will see rust on the firebox on most stick burners. The simple fact is that wood gives off more heat than charcoal and the rust has nothing to do with being a reverse flow.

BobBrisket
01-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I guess it wouldn't make sense to do reverse flow on such a small unit? Or would it? But then what would be the reasoning for having the smokestack on the firebox side? I hope it is, the reverse flow seems more efficient from what I've read, and in such a small unit the hot spot is a lot bigger. Maybe they just run a long baffle on these units. Oh well, I'll know for sure later on tonight.

acorette
01-11-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't see how you could have reverse flow AND the stack on the same end as the firebox as shown in the pic. More likely a tuning plate to distribute the smoke/heat and traditional flow.

butts a fire
01-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Good luck with the new smoker I hope you get it and make sure to post pictures.

txschutte
01-11-2008, 04:32 PM
It may very well be a reverse flow. I built mine and it's not all that big (800 sq. in. cooking surface). Reverse flows are a godsend in constant temps. I get less than a 10* variance in temp from one end to the other. I dial it in and add fuel as needed.

KC_Bobby
01-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Worst case scenerio - Flip that Pit. Money Money Monnney, MONNNNNEEEEEYYYYYY

I'd think it's reverse flow, other wise too much heat would go right out the door - so to speak.

nmayeux
01-11-2008, 06:59 PM

Whoa there partner! I think you are waaaay off base here... Reverse flow smokers are very easy to keep at a constant temp, and have little or no hot spot. I have had a Lang 60 for better than two years, and NO rust any where on the pit. All pits will rust if left in the weather, and I have yet to see a stick burner that has been left out not have rust on the firebox. As a matter of fact, I would personally invite you into my home to cook on my Lang if you have any doubts! After cooking on this pit, I would challenge you to find a better stick burning pit for the money!

Sorry about the hijack, and these SW pits look pretty nice! I have never heard of them, but would love to see one up close in person. The only advice I would give is to buy the largest you can afford!

nmayeux
01-11-2008, 07:03 PM
I guess it wouldn't make sense to do reverse flow on such a small unit? Or would it? But then what would be the reasoning for having the smokestack on the firebox side? I hope it is, the reverse flow seems more efficient from what I've read, and in such a small unit the hot spot is a lot bigger. Maybe they just run a long baffle on these units. Oh well, I'll know for sure later on tonight.
Bob, I think reverse flow works better on the smaller units as the hot spot takes up a larger percentage of the cooking surface. Once you get into the really large stick burners where the hot spot takes up a really small percentage of the cooking space, the reverse flow pricipal is negated. This is where the traditional offsets really shine!

BobBrisket
01-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Well, sadly it wasn't the pit I thought it was. His description over the phone led me to believe it was the model I had posted. Well, it was a totally different one. Aside from the surface rust, it is is in decent shape and just needs a little TLC. It has all the grates etc. I'll have it looking like new in no time, trust me.
It is one heavy @** pit. Took 3 dudes to get her on and off the truck.
Anyway, he wanted $85 and I offered $60. He took it.
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9094/fgf001ol8.th.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fgf001ol8.jpg)
What do you guys think?

txschutte
01-11-2008, 11:07 PM
SCORE!!!
Dude, that is a killer vert. offset! PM me when you need to sell it!

Bigdog
01-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Don't be sorry at all. What you have there looks like a nice Bandera Clone. Being heavy, it will hold the heat better. You are going to love that smoker, especially when you cook a brisket in it that is sitting on top of a dutch oven filled with beans.:-D Looks like you need a new front shelf. I recommend you make the new one out of cypress. Enjoy your new stick burner Bro.

BobBrisket
01-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Don't get me wrong. I'm quite happy about it. I'm gonna start working on her today. The shelf is actually inside the firebox. It's basically just a wire shelf. I just might cover it with some thin redwood slats for a nicer appearance. I can't wait to get her going.
Thanks guys.

tony76248
01-12-2008, 11:11 AM
nmayuex, your mailbox is full.

michiana mark
01-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Yup, you got IT bad. We need a 12 step program around here.

nmayeux
01-12-2008, 11:43 AM
nmayuex, your mailbox is full.
Thanks, as I was wondering why Bill was not speaking to me!

BobBrisket
01-12-2008, 10:24 PM
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8716/hh006vx7.th.jpg (http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hh006vx7.jpg)http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7142/hh007oe2.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hh007oe2.jpg)
Well, she looks a lot worse for wear in the light of day. The ash pan is one rusty farker. They left ash in it so it did a number on the pan. The bottom hinge on the fire access door was farked so I had to weld it back together. I had to work in some oil and WD40 into all the joints. This thing was like the Tinman form Oz. I also need to weld one of the joints on the top firebox access. It had chitty little weld on it to begin with. Then I noticed the leg were on a tilt. The legs are attached to the pit with one bolt a piece and it allows for too much play back and forth. So I welded the farkers to the pit. This thing is going to be solid as hell when I'm done with it. I know my welds look like dog crap, but they hold, and that's what counts. Besides I just perform cosmetic surgery on them with the grinder. All in all a fun day.

txschutte
01-12-2008, 11:07 PM
I can't wait until I see some food pron off her!

BobBrisket
01-13-2008, 04:49 PM
new pics and thread of Craig started