PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday use to be Prince Spaghjetti night...

Bill-Chicago
01-10-2008, 07:12 PM
But for me, Thursday's mean Thomas' Barbecue!

Tips and Hot Links tonight.

Very tippy and linky. Best Ive had yet.

Pint of beans and an extra bottle for this weekends cook

txschutte
01-10-2008, 07:15 PM
MMMM- Artery clogging goodness there.

JD McGee
01-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Looks like "down home"...complete with the white bread! :razz:

big brother smoke
01-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Looks like stuff I grew up on the southside. Lem's and Leon's comes to mind!

Bill-Chicago
01-10-2008, 07:17 PM
MMMM- Artery clogging goodness there.

The real artery cloggers are the steak fries at the bottom of that pile. They are by then soaked with sauce and porkyness, and each one seems to slow your heart rate as you eat it

:-o

Bill-Chicago
01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Looks like stuff I grew up on the southside. Lem's and Leon's comes to mind!

He bills himself as "Alabama Style"

I just know its good

www.thomasbbq.com

Norcoredneck
01-10-2008, 07:20 PM
What no Beer?

Rookie'48
01-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Good lookin' grub, right there:-D. Now I'm hungry again!

Bill-Chicago
01-10-2008, 07:37 PM
What no Beer?

No, gotta go pick up my daughter

Norcoredneck
01-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Ice tea it is then. Plenty of napkins mod.

Mitch
01-10-2008, 07:45 PM
That is what I call C-O-M-F-O-R-T Food!

G$
01-10-2008, 08:01 PM
What, no beer?
No, gotta go pick up my daughter

She got the beer?

And I agree, this does look tippy and linky.

Norcoredneck
01-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Tippy and linky... Sounds like some hoity toity description of Alabama finger food for sure.

Ron_L
01-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Yep... those are the tippiest tips and linkiest links I've seen.

Looks good, Bill!

CajunSmoker
01-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Looks mighty tippy, linky and tasty Bill:grin: where's the coleslaw:twisted::biggrin:

Bill-Chicago
01-10-2008, 09:27 PM
l:grin: where's the coleslaw:twisted::biggrin:

Thank god, Alabama style means no slaw!!

I see from the menu they got potato salad though. Yuck

Bill-Chicago
01-10-2008, 11:33 PM
I got a side question, that might need to get reposted seperately to get a range of answers instead of buried here.

The bottle of sauce in my picture. I ordered an extra bottle of sauce.

The owners wife walked over to a shelf next to the Southern Pride, and grabbed an empty bottle, already labeled, and put it on the access counter to the kitchen from the front counter.

The owner then proceeded to take a funnel to the bottle, grab a mixing cup and dip into his vat he was using when adding sauce to orders, and filled the bottle.

After I thought about it, it struck me as: Cool! I just bought sauce from Andre's latest batch, the stuff he actually sells me every week. This aint no prepackaged stuff, its the stuff he's using everyday.

It also meant, to me, that nothing was added to improve shelf life. I put it in the fridge immediately when I got home (I usually wait till I open a bottle)

So my question to you folks (Especially Jorge, as I just today saw he organized a sauce basket I missed out on): at your local BBQ joints, do you buy the sauce, and more importantly, is what I experienced typical? That fresh is actually fresh? Or is some sort of prepackaging the norm?

Bigmista
01-11-2008, 12:17 AM
I've never seen anybody bottle sauce on the spot before.

CajunSmoker
01-11-2008, 06:16 AM
If you buy extra sauce at our local joint, they dip it out of the vat on the serving line and put it in a styrofoam cup with a cover. They used to bottle it, but it wouldn't hold up on the shelf without a preservative added and they chose not to do that. I think I read something SpiceWine posted about the PH having to be in a certain range to hold up well without preservatives.

DaChief
01-11-2008, 06:32 AM
I think they ran out of bottled. I agree with you that it should go into the fridge immediately. I also wonder what else he might have used that mixing cup and funnel for that he just got the sauce with :shock:

But I would be all over those tips!!

Smokin Gator
01-11-2008, 06:39 AM
I also wonder what else he might have used that mixing cup and funnel for that he just got the sauce with :shock:!

Some things you are just better off not thinking about!!!

Good lookin eats brother Bill!!

Bill-Chicago
01-11-2008, 07:24 AM
I think they ran out of bottled.

He didnt.

For years, thats how he has been doing it.

If you see the bottle in the picture, that "label" is not even a label. Its just his sticker slapped on there. That might be the reason he bottles on demand, for he doesnt have to properly retail label, since he is selling it off the menu.

As far as the funnel and mixing cup being used for anything else, look at his menu. The funnel would be used on, oh, nothing, and the mixing cup, maybe beans, other than the sauce? There are not many processed food on his menu at all.

I'm not worried, since I see there is a picture of a bottle of mustard with one of those red circle crossouts on the wall :-o

Divemaster
01-11-2008, 08:24 AM
I think I may need to travel south next Thursday!!!

As for the sauce, I’ve never seen it done that way and would chill it once I got home… If the Ph is high enough it should last a while in the fridge.

NCGrimbo
01-11-2008, 08:30 AM
So my question to you folks (Especially Jorge, as I just today saw he organized a sauce basket I missed out on): at your local BBQ joints, do you buy the sauce, and more importantly, is what I experienced typical? That fresh is actually fresh? Or is some sort of prepackaging the norm?

I've never thought about asking at any of the BBQ joints here, but I've also never noticed them selling their sauces either. Next time I'm at a decent one, I'll check. There is a new place that has their sauces out and you can get those little sauce cups to fill. Maybe I'll just fill the 32 oz drink cup instead when I go again.

BTW: Next Sept. or Oct. when I'm up in Chicago, you need to get me directions and bus/train route to try that place out. Everytime you post a picture of the food there I get hungry.

Divemaster
01-11-2008, 08:37 AM
BTW: Next Sept. or Oct. when I'm up in Chicago, you need to get me directions and bus/train route to try that place out. Everytime you post a picture of the food there I get hungry.
Next time your up here, let me know and I'll pick you up and we can both go!!! :mrgreen:

tommykendall
01-11-2008, 09:23 AM
That does it bastidges. Ribs and links this weekend for me.

Norcoredneck
01-11-2008, 09:38 AM
That does it bastidges. Ribs and links this weekend for me.
Doesn't take muck to push you over the edge of Qdom. Was it the funnel or the cup?

tommykendall
01-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Doesn't take muck to push you over the edge of Qdom. Was it the funnel or the cup?

It was Billinois avatar licking the sauce of his pinky

Bill-Chicago
01-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Next time your up here, let me know and I'll pick you up and we can both go!!! :mrgreen:

It is not accessable solely through public transportation, but like DM says, we'll figure something out.

The only sucky thing about this place is that its slightly over a mile from my house.

:twisted:

BobBrisket
01-11-2008, 11:08 AM
It looks really good,,,,,,,,,,,,,especially that sauce soaked piece of bread!!

Divemaster
01-11-2008, 11:19 AM
The only sucky thing about this place is that its slightly over a mile from my house.
:twisted:
To close or to far???

qman
01-11-2008, 11:20 AM
There are a couple, maybe three old timey BBQ joints in this area that sell their sauce bottled on the spot, and one that will even fill your bottles, if you bring them in.

I agree with everyone else, sauce bottled this way should be in the fridge at once, and I would plan on using it up fairly quickly too.