PDA

View Full Version : Design ideas for a smoker trailer?

dbhost
01-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Okay, here's the poop. I end up hauling my smokers out to a lot of family events (since I got married, the family got BIG, and we invite a LOT of friends...). I need a way to haul my stuff, and the bed of my pickup is just too much of a pain in the (other word for donkey) to get the smokers in and out of, and they BARELY fit... So here's what I need to build...

Small-ish trailer that I can load / unload easily, and possibly even use as a cooking platform, that will hold...

Smoker #1. New Branfels Bandera smoker. (Not the Char-Broil version, but an original NB Bandera).
Smoker #2. New Braunfels Silver Smoker. (Custom refurbished, original NB model, NOT Char-Broil version).
Food Storage. 2 152 QT Igloo 7 day coolers.
Beverage storage. 1 trash can / keg setup.
Fuel storage. At least 1/8 cord pecan firewood.

I am looking for a good, reliable, inexpensive, relatively easy to build and store design for just such a trailer... Anyone have any ideas?

smooookin
01-10-2008, 02:20 PM
can you find a used 6X10 flatbed cheap?

WineMaster
01-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Check Craigslist.

Thats your best bet

blues_n_cues
01-10-2008, 02:24 PM
i've tried to find old uhaul trailers but they don't sell them off. maybe try a motorcycle shop around league city or the auto trader.

RichardF
01-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Smoker #1. New Branfels Bandera smoker. (Not the Char-Broil version, but an original NB Bandera).
Smoker #2. New Braunfels Silver Smoker. (Custom refurbished, original NB model, NOT Char-Broil version).

Bragger :wink:

http://img.tfd.com/wn/C2/68C83-bragger.gif

Bigmista
01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Do a search for "chekeeta" for some ideas.

Bigmista
01-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Found it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34015&highlight=chekeeta

dbhost
01-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Bragger :wink:

http://img.tfd.com/wn/C2/68C83-bragger.gif

It ain't braggin if it's true!

The_Kapn
01-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Found it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34015&highlight=chekeeta

Thanks Neil,

CheKeeta is a sample of what can be done without spending a ton of money.
Just use your imagination.

Easily adaptable to other cookers.

TIM

Men-N-Blue BBQ
01-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Go to your local junk yard and look for a pop-up camper trailer. The box is just bolted on. Take it off and you have a trailer. It even has the jacks on all four corners to level the trailer when you set up. I picked one up for $30.00 yes $30.00 at my local junk yard. Good Luck, hope I was some help.

dbhost
01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm pretty sure I can beat $30.00 for a pop up camper. Freecycle has one in towable shape with the lights and all working for 4 pin just tow it away (with title). The box is trashed.

Might be worth looking into. I've got plenty of metal scrap, and access to plenty of welders. I figure I have some measuring, cutting, welding, grinding, and painting to do!

Norcoredneck
01-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Document the progress. We love pics.

jbrink01
01-10-2008, 05:15 PM
My first trailer was a 12 x 6 flatbed. Had a drop down ramp and 3 brinkman's mounted on it. Worked OK for what it was.

dodgeramsst2003
01-10-2008, 07:47 PM
You can forget about U-haul selling off their trailers, I asked a rep once and he said they use them until they are no longer road worthy. Their trucks they use until they are about 1000 miles from not being road worthy and then sell them for top dollar. I've kept an eye on the local U-haul place and the only thing they have for sale is junk at almost new prices. lol, just my 2 cents worth. I did buy a 6x14 tandem trailer from a buddy who got it at a government auction for $100. good deal, it needed some work, I fixed it up to use it, didn't like the way it towed and sold if for a profit. There are good deals to be had, you just have to look and be willing to put in some elbow grease.

Chris

Rookie'48
01-10-2008, 08:30 PM
My oldest boy had a pop up given to him. It was a POS, but it had a clear title & he used it for camping a couple of times. It is now a motor cycle / snowmobile / 4 wheeler hauler. Hell, they even use it to give the little ones a "hay ride" behind a 4 wheeler. Works great & he said that he's only got about 3 hundred into it total, counting ramps, tool box, tie downs, etc.