PDA

View Full Version : Greed is a horrible thing!

jbrink01
01-10-2008, 09:58 AM
When I started cooking, I wanted nothing more than to go win a trophy. We worked hard and did that. Our goal then became "let's win a GC". Did that. Since then we have been SWAMPED with local catering and vending, but still found time for 4 contests last year.

I am looking at my calendar this year, and actually thinking about doing 0 contests. Somebody talk me out of focusing so d*** hard on the money!

WineMaster
01-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Thats what its about though.
Making Money doing what you love doing.
Or as Myron says,
Its not about Winning, Its about getting PAID

kickassbbq
01-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Been smoking for 20 years. Went to one competition to see what all the fuss was about.
I won a 1st Place Trophy in Brisket and a 1st Place Trophy in Chicken.
Worked my Arse off and and will never do another comp.

It's ALL about the money and I don't care enough about a 3 dollar trophy to spend thousands try to get more. They collect dust, and really, who cares about them anyway?

Go for the money and keep your bussiness going. The economy is slowing SO much, I would take care of business and play later.

PARTY!!!!!!!!!

smknwhlswife
01-10-2008, 10:43 AM
It depends on what you look for in a Comp. Are you going to JUST try and win or do you go to meet new people and talk to old friends to don't always get to see. I would not like doing contests if we ONLY went to WIN. We like to go and have a good time.....we try our best and hope we will something....but that is not the main goal. When we stop having fun......it's time to stay home. JMHO

watg?
01-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Mans gotta eat...nothing wrong with making money.....make hay while the sun shines...the phone could stop ringing...then what....you can play later...a comp once in a while wont hurt, but go for it, make it while you can.

Bigmista
01-10-2008, 11:44 AM
It depends on what you look for in a Comp. Are you going to JUST try and win or do you go to meet new people and talk to old friends to don't always get to see. I would not like doing contests if we ONLY went to WIN. We like to go and have a good time.....we try our best and hope we will something....but that is not the main goal. When we stop having fun......it's time to stay home. JMHO

I'm with you on this one. I find that recently, I have more fun at the potlucks we host on Friday night. It's also fun vending for the People's choice and making some extra cash.

Greendriver
01-10-2008, 11:49 AM
I don't think your greedy at all just because your making money and not competing. Your simply placing importance on what meets your needs at this particular time the most.

smknwhlswife
01-10-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm with you on this one. I find that recently, I have more fun at the potlucks we host on Friday night. It's also fun vending for the People's choice and making some extra cash.

Exactly!!! I have made more friends this past year. I love seeing everyone every couple of weeks (if not more). We usually do a potluck dinner Friday night and then someone usually volunteers to make breakfast for Sat. morning.

Now if you NEED to make the money....that's a different story. But if you enjoy going to the contests, then I say pick your favorite 1 or 2 and do those. There usually is a happy medium.

Soooo Neil.....are you going to try and come out this way for a contest???? or be a guest cook for one? hint hint

Dale P
01-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Make money first but you have to do something for fun. I have been a competitor all my life. Baseball, football, basketball until I got to old. Then I got into golf, darts, cards, bass tourneys. I cant help it, im a competition guy. Sitting here looking at my bbq trophies might not mean much to someone else, but they are special to me. I was going to get a copy of one of our trophys for my brother and i got a quote of $250.00. Its a nice one. There isnt a speck of dust on it neither just smudge marks from me kissing it.

RichardF
01-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Been smoking for 20 years. Went to one competition to see what all the fuss was about.
I won a 1st Place Trophy in Brisket and a 1st Place Trophy in Chicken.
Worked my Arse off and and will never do another comp.

It's ALL about the money and I don't care enough about a 3 dollar trophy to spend thousands try to get more. They collect dust, and really, who cares about them anyway?

Go for the money and keep your bussiness going. The economy is slowing SO much, I would take care of business and play later.

PARTY!!!!!!!!!

KA - I thought with you it was all about the girls :wink:

kickassbbq
01-10-2008, 01:09 PM
The O'l Richard Man!!!
That's why I don't compete anymore. I can have BEAUTIFUL girls come to me right here at the Harley Shop. Why would I go away and spend a bunch of $$$$ when I get the CHOICE girls here for MY BBQ and (you got it) Pics 'O Chicks!!!!!!!!!?
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New ones are coming in this Spring. Keep your eye out for a sample pic, Richard.

Thawley
01-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Best way to ruin a good hobby is to make it a business.

Thawley - the photographer who leaves his camera at home on vacation

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
01-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Kim Quote: Soooo Neil.....are you going to try and come out this way for a contest???? or be a guest cook for one? hint hint

Yea Neil...remember we were talking about you picking up your new smoker and driving it home....to go in your new driveway....huh huh... Kim, lets get him to come to Atchinson to join in the echos:)

Bigmista
01-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Wow! Looks like I need to make a trip to the midwest. I'll have to ask MrsMista if I can come out to play.

Brethren take note. The WOMEN are asking for me!! :twisted:

WineMaster
01-10-2008, 02:17 PM
We need to get Ed to post the Pics o Chicks

G$
01-10-2008, 02:57 PM
"GREED IS GOOD". Seriously, it works, I like money, etc.

I also like cooking barbecue with my brothers in law and hanging out.

acorette
01-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Somebody talk me out of focusing so d*** hard on the money!

Doesn't have to be a "one or the other" issue in my mind. If people are really demanding your services that much - so you don't have time for what you want to do, you need to raise your prices.

Supply and demand.

If you raise your prices, some people will continue to pay (and that's a good thing for you) and other's will stop hiring you (and that frees you up to do what you want to do.)

The key is to raise prices only to the point where you free up just as much time as you want free. Raising too much can cause you to lose gigs that you might otherwise want. Raising too little, and you won't free up any time.

Just my view.

jbrink01
01-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Aaron,
I like your thinking. We are having a price increase for '08, with the thought being it may free us up a bit. My problem was touched on earlier, and that being if I compete, I'm there to do well and / or win.

I know that with the right catering's I can hit home run's and it's all up to me, not a group of people that may or may not ever cook a contest, telling me if my BBQ is any good. That being said, I'll keep answering the phone for paying jobs, stay on our board for the Washington, MO contest and maybe judge one or two local contests.

To tell a story out of school, that means as much to me as a contest win;

In '06 we catered a local Christmas Party for 300. Charged about $5,000. Good days work. In '07 they called in November and advised they had booked "a very large and reputable St. Louis BBQ Restaurant Chain". January 4, 2008 they called and said "put us on your calendar for this December". I'm thinking that big chain food was not so great!!!!

Jeff_in_KC
01-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Wow! Looks like I need to make a trip to the midwest. I'll have to ask MrsMista if I can come out to play.

Brethren take note. The WOMEN are asking for me!! :twisted:

Yeah Neil, let's ask Mrs. Mista, shall we? Your arse will get shot down SO fast! :lol::lol::lol: "Hey honey, can I go to Kansas and BBQ with these two women, Kim and Char?" Let us know how that works for ya! :lol::wink:

smoke-n-my-i's
01-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Best way to ruin a good hobby is to make it a business.

True words....

Do what you like to do more.

I do the few comps that I can get to because I like to go just to have fun and meet fellow q'ers. I made my mind up after the first one, that I have a ways to go before I will probably hit the money. If I can't have a good time at it, I might as well stay home, sell the equipment and just do nothing. So, we go, we have a good time, and come home tired with lots of left over Q for later. We usually end up taking it to work and sharing with the coworkers.

No trophies, no money in 2 yrs. But yes, we enjoy it. Will we continue, YES !!!! We are going to try for maybe 5 or 6 this year if at all possible.

Bill

smknwhlswife
01-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Yeah Neil, let's ask Mrs. Mista, shall we? Your arse will get shot down SO fast! :lol::lol::lol: "Hey honey, can I go to Kansas and BBQ with these two women, Kim and Char?" Let us know how that works for ya! :lol::wink:

Hey, I never said to leave Mrs. Mista home......I would love for the family to come out....esp. Morgan. I need to get a baby fix in.:lol:

Bigmista
01-11-2008, 01:53 PM

I read this and called MrsMista and said I'm going Kansas to cook with Kim and Char because I'm the man and I said so!!!

Then her voicemail came on and I hung up.

Irrad8
01-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I haven't competed yet. I did start scouting at some contests last year. One thing I noticed was that alot of the spectators were wanting to buy BBQ while there. There were few people if any able to sell due to Health Dept regs. If you are already meeting Health Dept codes, maybe you could cater at the comps. That way you would be there to experiance the event and still be doin business. Might be a PITA with different counties and all that though.

smknwhlswife
01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I read this and called MrsMista and said I'm going Kansas to cook with Kim and Char because I'm the man and I said so!!!

Then her voicemail came on and I hung up.

That's funny!

Andy hasn't read any of these posts yet......We'll see what he says.lol

Bigmista
01-11-2008, 04:35 PM
I just got off the phone with her. She said if I want to go to Kansas, I'm on my own. I think the words flat and boring came up a few times too. She only drove thru though.

scottyd
01-12-2008, 06:21 AM
Make money, contest cost to much, do one or two contests to see friends but take the paying jobs. You will be happier in the long run. It is time to get paid you have got expences

stlgreg
01-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Aaron,
I like your thinking. We are having a price increase for '08, with the thought being it may free us up a bit. My problem was touched on earlier, and that being if I compete, I'm there to do well and / or win.

I know that with the right catering's I can hit home run's and it's all up to me, not a group of people that may or may not ever cook a contest, telling me if my BBQ is any good. That being said, I'll keep answering the phone for paying jobs, stay on our board for the Washington, MO contest and maybe judge one or two local contests.

To tell a story out of school, that means as much to me as a contest win;

In '06 we catered a local Christmas Party for 300. Charged about $5,000. Good days work. In '07 they called in November and advised they had booked "a very large and reputable St. Louis BBQ Restaurant Chain". January 4, 2008 they called and said "put us on your calendar for this December". I'm thinking that big chain food was not so great!!!!
Makes me think it was Bandanas

jbrink01
01-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Me thinks you are correct. I have had 2 customers try them and come back, citing poor quality, poorer service and hi pricing (2 meats, 2 sides, dropped off, for 130 - $2,000). My 2 meat, 2 side price is closer to $1,500 than $2,000..........

stlgreg
01-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Me thinks you are correct. I have had 2 customers try them and come back, citing poor quality, poorer service and hi pricing (2 meats, 2 sides, dropped off, for 130 - $2,000). My 2 meat, 2 side price is closer to $1,500 than $2,000..........

That is another place that you either love or hate.
However most people that hate it are those you dont Q or have tried to Q.