PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Sauce and Glazes? I'm Confused

swamprb
01-09-2008, 04:01 AM
I've been enjoying Spicewine's Blue Collar Sauce but I'm kind of confused as what a Finishing sauce is? I did a search and the only thing I came up with was a recipe of KCQuer's for Pulled Pork. Anyone care to enlighten me or point out the uses and methods of Glazes and Finishing sauces? I'm not really into making my own sauces and my Competition entries tended to be on the sweet side.

Norcoredneck
01-09-2008, 04:07 AM
Would a glaze be something you apply at end of cook and let heat set it to meat, and a finishing sauce one applied after cooking? I personally have had sauces that finished me :biggrin:.

cmcadams
01-09-2008, 05:20 AM
A glaze is typically added near the end of a cook that's not tomato based and is typically sweet and somewhat thick. A finishing sauce is added after the cook and can just about anything, but is added just before serving usually.

DaChief
01-09-2008, 06:58 AM
A glaze is typically added near the end of a cook that's not tomato based and is typically sweet and somewhat thick. A finishing sauce is added after the cook and can just about anything, but is added just before serving usually.

Yep, what he said is what I've always thought. I do like a finishing sauce on pulled pork!

Mitch
01-09-2008, 07:03 AM
I consider a finishing sauce is applied after the meat is off the pit. A glaze is added for the last period on the pit. A glaze I use is 1 part of my BBQ sauce to 1 part water, and 1/2 part honey. Heat, mix and apply at the end of cooking (10-20 minutes). A finsihing sauce is applied just as the meat goes in the turn in box, or on the side (at home/cater).

cardiac_cadet002
01-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Yep, what he said is what I've always thought. I do like a finishing sauce on pulled pork!

What finishing sauce do you like and/or reccommend for pulled pork Chief?

butts a fire
01-09-2008, 08:06 AM

I will tell you what I like 1 part bbq sauce (I normally use something fairly sweet and tomato based) 1 part applejuice and a table spoon or so of rub depending on the amount of juice and sauce. I add it after the meat is pulled and mix it in.

sajones97
01-09-2008, 08:28 AM
I will tell you what I like 1 part bbq sauce (I normally use something fairly sweet and tomato based) 1 part applejuice and a table spoon or so of rub depending on the amount of juice and sauce. I add it after the meat is pulled and mix it in.

That sounds good! Does the rub take away some of the sweetness?

Does anyone here use an Au Jus concoction? This is all I really know 'cause it's how I was introduced to pulled pork.

Also, are there any other directions I can take with pulled pork?

Looking to expand my horizons!:cool:

cmcadams
01-09-2008, 08:34 AM
You can always go more Asian... hold back on the typical rub spices, use some sesame, ginger, etc., then finish with teriyaki or soy sauce reduction mixed with some honey. You can use some wasabi in the rub or in the sauce, but be careful.

DaChief
01-09-2008, 09:01 AM

I got this a while back from another site and really like it. Squirt some on after you pull the pork just before serving then mix it up.

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

cardiac_cadet002
01-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Thx guys, those both sound good. I brought some chuckie for lunch and I know we have stuff in the pantry here to do either..........or better yet, both! WOOT!

bigabyte
01-09-2008, 09:29 AM
In BBQ terms a glaze is applied while the meat is still in. A finishing sauce is applied after pulling the meat out. I am trying so hard to keep this post out of Woodpile:!: Let's just suffice it to say that the terms are the exact opposite when it comes to another activity popular among the brethren.

DaChief
01-09-2008, 09:38 AM
In BBQ terms a glaze is applied while the meat is still in. A finishing sauce is applied after pulling the meat out. I am trying so hard to keep this post out of Woodpile:!: Let's just suffice it to say that the terms are the exact opposite when it comes to another activity popular among the brethren.

:lol::lol::lol:

sajones97
01-09-2008, 09:53 AM

I am soooo not quick on the draw. I sincerely had no idea where you were going with this until I actually read the words "another activity", and then had to re-read the beginning!:eek:

sajones97
01-09-2008, 09:54 AM
You can always go more Asian... hold back on the typical rub spices, use some sesame, ginger, etc., then finish with teriyaki or soy sauce reduction mixed with some honey. You can use some wasabi in the rub or in the sauce, but be careful.

What is a "sauce reduction"?

(Thanks for learnin' me!)

SP
01-09-2008, 09:54 AM

I had to resist the temptation too, Chris.

BobBrisket
01-09-2008, 10:41 AM
You Farkers are funny. Where is the "finishing" sauce applied once the meat is "pulled" out? Just messing with ya?

Would it be safe to say to say that most of the time a finishing sauce is a bit thinner than a glaze and not as strong in flavor so as to not over power her flavor, I mean the flavor of the meat?

I see the Woodpile withing reach!!

Papa Hogg
01-09-2008, 10:42 AM
What is a "sauce reduction"?

(Thanks for learnin' me!)

You get a sauce reduction if you do it more than 1 times in a night:
back-to-back-to-back mod.

Or it is when you simmer a sauce for a long period of time reducing the amount & concentrating the flavors.

I prefer definition #1 :biggrin:

Papa Hogg
01-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Where is the "finishing" sauce applied once the meat is "pulled" out?

I think Richard F has a picture of this somewhere...

I can't believe I'm getting quality post counts for this :lol:

bigabyte
01-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Who said anything about quality?

swamprb
01-09-2008, 10:53 AM

There is a joint in town that I swear uses Thai Sweet Chile Sauce in their House sauce. I use it a lot with Chicken, It would do well with some tomato based sauce. What about using Jellies or Preserves thinned down or spiced up?

cmcadams
01-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Jellies usually heat up and melt well, then you can thin it... some saki might make it interesting. It's always worth a shot anyway.

Cabntmkr1
01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Would a glaze be something you apply at end of cook and let heat set it to meat, and a finishing sauce one applied after cooking? I personally have had sauces that finished me :biggrin:.
That's funny...:-D

RichardF
01-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I think Richard F has a picture of this somewhere...

I had a girl all ready to demonstrate both applications of the aformentioned sauces, but she insisted on wearing a pair of these, and what fun is that -

http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2075403/i/blackbars_648.jpg

sajones97
01-09-2008, 11:38 AM
You get a sauce reduction if you do it more than 1 times in a night:
back-to-back-to-back mod.

Or it is when you simmer a sauce for a long period of time reducing the amount & concentrating the flavors.

I prefer definition #1 :biggrin:

LMAO!

I cannot believe I didn't see that coming. I nearly spewed Java all over a patient!:lol:

How long do you usually simmer, say a quart? This sounds totally like it would be trial an error.

Any guidelines?

(Please, no comments about tactile cues, night-vision goggles, or the like! :eek::lol:)

sajones97
01-09-2008, 11:58 AM

Is this why you need to wrap the meat using the 3-2-1 method? So that way all the sauce doesn't spill out before it's done?

What?

What'd I say?

(Couldn't resist mod)

BobBrisket
01-09-2008, 12:11 PM
A quart can take a while to reduce. Basically, the longer you leave it over low heat the thicker the sauce gets and more it concentrates.

I make a concentrated salad dressing using about 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and sugar(to taste) usually about 2-3 tbs. I leave it over really low heat and stir regularly, when it turns to the consistency of honey, it has reduced enough. If I want it thinner then I take it off the heat sooner.

A finishing sauce I like to make:
one jar of preserves, jam, or jelly of your choice ( I like apple or apricot)
toss all of jar contents into a pan
toss in about 1/2 cup of white wine/or water/or apple juice/or orange juice. Wine is best.
Put on low heat.
As it heats up the wine will help thin out the jelly.
I then cut a habanero pepper in half and let it float in the mixture. The longer you leave it in, the hotter it gets!!! (Woodpile Material)
I don't reduce this as it's best used a glaze but can also be served on the side.
Instead of a hab you could use cayenne powder. This will make for a killer pork butt glaze or fatty glaze.

BobBrisket
01-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Are you talking minutes or hours with that 3-2-1?

Big difference between 6 minutes and 6 hours.

sajones97
01-09-2008, 12:19 PM
A finishing sauce I like to make:
one jar of preserves, jam, or jelly of your choice ( I like apple or apricot)
toss all of jar contents into a pan
toss in about 1/2 cup of white wine/or water/or apple juice/or orange juice. Wine is best.
Put on low heat.
As it heats up the wine will help thin out the jelly.
I then cut a habanero pepper in half and let it float in the mixture. The longer you leave it in, the hotter it gets!!! (Woodpile Material)
I don't reduce this as it's best used a glaze but can also be served on the side.
Instead of a hab you could use cayenne powder. This will make for a killer pork butt glaze or fatty glaze.

Thanks! Sounds awesome.

So, is this a sauce recipe or a glaze? What do you typically use this on?

sajones97
01-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Are you talking minutes or hours with that 3-2-1?

Big difference between 6 minutes and 6 hours.

I guess it depends on your ability to stick with it. From what I understand, a lot of people here smoke the whole night through!

BobBrisket
01-09-2008, 12:30 PM
I farked up...........I use it as a glaze, but have also served on the side as a dipping sauce too. I guess it could be both actually.

I use it mostly on pork....butts etc. But good on poultry too and even planked salmon.

I made a version one time with raspberry jelly and used it on a brisket. Pretty dang good.

Papa Hogg
01-09-2008, 01:34 PM
How long do you usually simmer, say a quart? This sounds totally like it would be trial an error.

Any guidelines?

A quart can take a while to reduce. Basically, the longer you leave it over low heat the thicker the sauce gets and more it concentrates.

It is basically trial & error to see what you like, like BB said. The key is low & slow like BBQ, stirring every 15 minutes or so. Keep it over the heat until it reaches the consistency you are looking for or to the desired taste. Keep good notes on what you do so you can replicate it if you like it. One tip for you too...let's say you don't like your sauce to be too spicy & you add some cayenne & you taste the sauce before you reduce it & think that is just the right amount of spice, then you reduce the sauce by 1/2, that sauce is going to have a kick because the amount of cayenne has not changed but the amount of liquid it is in has.

BobBrisket
01-09-2008, 01:37 PM
One tip for you too...let's say you don't like your sauce to be too spicy & you add some cayenne & you taste the sauce before you reduce it & think that is just the right amount of spice, then you reduce the sauce by 1/2, that sauce is going to have a kick because the amount of cayenne has not changed but the amount of liquid it is in has.

Very good point!

Bigmista
01-09-2008, 02:16 PM
I personally have had sauces that finished me :biggrin:.

Pat hits the sauce.

Pass it on...