PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum sealer food saver etc... questions

smoke-n-my-i's
01-08-2008, 09:45 AM
I have noticed that there are basically two sizes of sealers. A narrow one and a wider one. The smaller one will use the pint and quart size bags or rolls (8"), where the wider one will take the gallon or wide (11") rolls.

I saw a FoodSaver Essential Series V485 on my local Craigslist for $25. Does anyone know which size this one is. I am looking for a wide model. I looked on the FS site, but they do not list it any more, and so far I can't find anything on the web.

Here is the the complete listing:
FoodSaver Essential Series V485. Brand new, box unopened. Originally $50. Home Vacuum Packaging System. Locks out air & moisture and prevents freezer burn. Includes 10 feet of bag material. Hands-free operation, Easy Clean Antibacterial Drip Tray, Stainles Steel Finish. Cash Only. Got two for Christmas so I need to get rid of one!

thanks,
Bill

D.F. Expat
01-08-2008, 10:48 AM
According to this site (http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/PRD%7E216129/Foodsaver+V485+Vacuum+Packaging+System.jsp) that model can use the 11" roll.

Porky
01-08-2008, 11:09 AM
I don't know much about that particular model but if it handles the 11" bags it certainly can handle the 8", $50 sounds like a steal---jump on it before it goes away.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-08-2008, 11:14 AM
According to this site (http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/PRD%7E216129/Foodsaver+V485+Vacuum+Packaging+System.jsp) that model can use the 11" roll.

I don't know much about that particular model but if it handles the 11" bags it certainly can handle the 8", $50 sounds like a steal---jump on it before it goes away.

Newbie, thanks. That was what I was hoping for.

Porky, it said originally was $50, they are asking $25.... that makes it even better....

Email has already been sent.... I went ahead and sent it to see if it was still available. It it ended up the smaller unit, I could always just say no thanks. Now I will jump on it if it is still there.... Will see.

Thanks for the info.
Bill

MrMike
01-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Here's a link from Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/Tilia-FoodSaver-V485-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B000R4Y96K

I don't think I've ever seen a Foodsaver that didn't take the larger bags though...

Mike

smoke-n-my-i's
01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Here's a link from Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/Tilia-FoodSaver-V485-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B000R4Y96K

I don't think I've ever seen a Foodsaver that didn't take the larger bags though...

Mike

Thanks Mike. Yes, if you look on the FS website, they have several. They don't say that they don't take the larger bags, but they only come with the 8" roll or pint/qt bags... it looks like that is all they take. I could be mistaken though.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-08-2008, 01:57 PM
"Yes, still available. I've had a number of people ask about it but no one
who's followed up. Let me know if you'd like it..."

Guess who is going to get it ! ! ! ! ! ! and for $25...... :-P :rolleyes: :twisted:

Just waiting for the reply email for directions.....

Jack2u2
01-08-2008, 03:03 PM
A little off the subject, but has anyone tried the Reynolds Handi-Vac? So far I have vacuum packed bacon, pork chops and left over chicken. It holds a vacuum really good, even in the freezer (so far). A cheaper alternative to the bigger vacuum packers (although $25.00 is a hell of a deal).

qman
01-08-2008, 03:43 PM
A little off the subject, but has anyone tried the Reynolds Handi-Vac? So far I have vacuum packed bacon, pork chops and left over chicken. It holds a vacuum really good, even in the freezer (so far). A cheaper alternative to the bigger vacuum packers (although $25.00 is a hell of a deal).

Yes, I have been playing around with the Handy-suc for a month or so now, and am really impressed. It does pull a good vac, and seems to hold well, in fridge and freezer.
Since it is battery powered, and hand-held, it takes no space on counter, but is available for easy use. I find my self using it a lot.

Also, I have given one to three different relatives since I got mine.

For 10.00 bucks, it is hard to beat for small jobs.

MoKanMeathead
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
I have used the Handi-Vac as well and have been impressed so far. For small jobs it does a great job - espescially for $10 - plus the special bags - which are re-useable.

Oh...and the Foodsaver for $25 seems like a great deal.

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ
01-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Any idea on the price of bags for the Handi-Vac? Not sure I'd go to Walmart for one, but would sure put it on the Wife's list...:shock:

The_Kapn
01-08-2008, 05:36 PM

Some info here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34043&highlight=Handi-Vac

TIM

smoke-n-my-i's
01-08-2008, 08:20 PM
I got home with the new toy a little bit ago. Yes, I had to play with it already..... I know, I wasted time not letting you know. Nice looking unit, quiet running, and not all that big. I am really impressed with it. Black with stainless trim. And all for $25.

I will have to get a pic for you all. And yes, still in original box, sealed and ready to go. Came with the video, hose attachment, 11" x 10' starter roll, nice reference guide and quick tips. I went ahead and registered it online and they say I should receive some free gifts for doing so. Will see.

Now for the Reynolds one. I have one, got an extra box of the quart bags and the gallon bags. It is ok, but I was not really super impressed with it. I had several bags that sealed, but overnight would loose it seal. I even vacuumed them out again, same thing. Apparently, some of the bags are not real tight sealing. So I figured in the long run, you get what you pay for. And the bags are not cheap either. Seems like 8 bags were like 4 bucks. Somewhere around there....

I have a feeling I will need to make a run for a couple rolls of bag material one day real soon.....:eek:

Pyle's BBQ
01-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Did anyone notice all the adds at the bottom of the page are for vacuum sealers?

MrMike
01-10-2008, 12:05 PM
I went ahead and registered it online and they say I should receive some free gifts for doing so. Will see.:eek:

Free gifts are coupons for refill rolls and other products for your new Suckerator. And a combination refrigerator magnet/letter opener! Give'em your email and they'll send you e-coupons. A small price to pay for your recent promotion to the position of Suckmaster General of your household.

Mike
Suckmaster General of MY house

boatnut
01-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Yes, I have been playing around with the Handy-suc for a month or so now, and am really impressed. It does pull a good vac, and seems to hold well, in fridge and freezer.
Since it is battery powered, and hand-held, it takes no space on counter, but is available for easy use. I find my self using it a lot.

Also, I have given one to three different relatives since I got mine.

For 10.00 bucks, it is hard to beat for small jobs.

pssst...qman is playing with his battery powered handy suc!:eusa_clap