PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Cooking and Equipment Trailer

Bud's BBQ
01-08-2008, 09:18 AM
We are planning for the 2008 Competition season starting (for us in the Mid-West) in late March/early April. Thinking seriously about hauling a 18' - 20' trailer (Featherlite?) which would accomodate a Lang 60 and an Egg or two, counter surfaces, small fridge and the like. We will be towing with a 2007 Georgetown (37'; Ford Triton engine). Just looking for insights from those that have gone this direction - what are the pitfalls to avoid? What would you do differently if you had it to do over again?

Transformer BBQ
01-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Some great trailers in this group... Phils, Pollocks, I Smell Smoke's, Q Haven's... all different approaches. I'm sure they will have more to say.

I'm a little curious on putting a Lang 60, inside an enclosed trailer. You might run into some issues where that takes up so much room inside it makes the trailer less useful. I think you'd also run into some tiedown and weight issues... depending on the specific model you have I think you're running 800-1100 lbs. on that lang alone.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Getting that beast in and out of the trailer.....

Hope you are looking at a winch and the ramp door ! ! ! ! Tonto says she is not going to be the brake when it comes out :eek: :twisted:

Seriously, a winch will be nice, since you will have to pull it in, and let it out slowly so it won't get away. I presume the trailer will be tandem axle at that length. You should, I would think have room with the Lang toward the back, with the bulk of the weight over the wheels..... to put some cabinets, etc in the front for bbq tools etc. storage. That is the same thought I have when I get good :mrgreen: ..... Right now I am using a single axle 6x12 to put all my junk in. It is kind of a hassle to load and unload, but isn't to bad. We can usually have the 10x20 canopy tent up, and all set up ready to go in about 45 minutes or so. That includes, tent, cookers, tables, coolers, chairs, etc....

Bill

Divemaster
01-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm thinking of the same setup (with the non-trailer Lang 60) and am looking forward to the advice you get!!!

blues_n_cues
01-08-2008, 05:47 PM
hey bud (it's gypsy)i though long & hard about a lang but doing vending health codes etc.i came across a great trailer & since i can't pull both i decided on a backwoods competitor & still have a snp i can pull out under the tent out back(my stern ramps down) for show & tell..i'm putting in the 3 basin sink,large dorm fridge & small chest freezer w/ my folding tables. i know it doesn't help much but here's pics ofthe trailer as i have it now. it's a 12x7 wells cargo.anyway, can you pull a toy hauler behind your coach ?
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w247/gypsyseagod/food%20pix/?action=view&current=newyears2008016.jpg
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w247/gypsyseagod/food%20pix/?action=view&current=newyears2008015.jpg

mind you it was 17 degrees when i took those pics- thats the reason for that setup.

blues_n_cues
01-08-2008, 05:49 PM
another thought. hire bubba full time & make him pull the lang- lol.
seriously- yer looking @ some serious tiedowns for the lang unless you plan on keeping it inside(off trailer) & vent the stack outside. yer still looking @ heat in the summer (i remember lebanon)but an electric boat trailer winch from bass pro is a thought for getting it back in the trailer.

Bud's BBQ
01-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all of the feed back. Gypsy, you are right on target with the importance of tieing down the Lang. Does anyone remember the length of Phil's trailer? Was fortunate enough to see it this Summer and wish I had taken more notes.

Plowboy
01-08-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm having a 22' trailer with 4' deck made right now. It will be similar to the one pictured belonging to We'll Smoke U.

we'll smoke u
01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Man that's a nice trailer where can I get one.LOL

blues_n_cues
01-09-2008, 02:26 AM
man.. awesome trailer.. but i think bud is looking @ overall length & weight & i just don't see anyway to pull lang inside of any trailer... practically-thats like pulling a boathouse to the lake....great trailer though... 2 more years ....

BBQ_MAFIA
01-09-2008, 02:52 AM
Putting a Lang 60 inside an enclosed trailer just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I don't want to sound negitive, but I would think long and hard about this before doint it. (Just my .02).

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Bud's BBQ
01-09-2008, 05:46 AM
I am getting the idea that trailering the Lang may not be the wisest approach. Last year was our first and we did pretty well with the Lang. I think we want to compete one more year with the Lang and then migrate to Eggs, an ole' Hickory or something that let's us get some sleep!

Todd and Scott, that trailer is very sharp. Who would I talk to about something like yours?

Ford
01-09-2008, 06:33 AM
I am getting the idea that trailering the Lang may not be the wisest approach. Last year was our first and we did pretty well with the Lang. I think we want to compete one more year with the Lang and then migrate to Eggs, an ole' Hickory or something that let's us get some sleep!

Todd and Scott, that trailer is very sharp. Who would I talk to about something like yours?
See if you can get ahold of Jim at All Day Smoke. His first year he loaded an offset into his trailer and did the winch, etc. He's in Lansing and hopefully somebody here will have his email or contact Steph at the KCBS as she has it for sure. With floor mounted D rings it stays in place fine and tows great.

Let's plan to talk trailers when you come for the Egg. Not sure if mine will be here as it's going to be in Elkhart next week having the ramp door put in.

Walt- are you at home this week? If so maybe we can get together some evening rather than waiting until Sunday.

jbrink01
01-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Todd,
Welcome to the wonderful world of custom trailers! and btw - WOW!

Ps - Did you sell the camper?

Plowboy
01-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Todd,
Welcome to the wonderful world of custom trailers! and btw - WOW!

Ps - Did you sell the camper?

No, camper is for family. Trailer is for catering & BBQ. At some local contests, we'll bring both.

ScottD has the big Lang mounted on a gooseneck.

jbrink01
01-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Sounds good. Who is building it, what will it weigh, and what are you going to pull it with?

Sawdustguy
01-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Make sure you consider the tow vehicle also. Neighbor down the block bought a beautiful toy hauler (I think it is a Coachman 35 footer) for his family and his two quads. He went to the dealer to have the 5th wheel hitch installed on his truck. The dealer wouldn't install it. He never considered that it was too much weight for his Dodge 1500 to haul. The dealer hauled it to his home and the trailer sat in his yard for two years until he had enough money for a good down payment for a Dodge 3500 to haul it with.

jbrink01
01-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Guy,
My point exactly. My 1/2 ton will pull my trailer, but it sure feels safer behind my 2500HD / Duramax. A good rule of thumb for me, and I grew up on a farm, where you always were puling something, is; If you need aftermarket anything to help pull it, it's probably too heavy for the truck.

Plowboy
01-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Make sure you consider the tow vehicle also. Neighbor down the block bought a beautiful toy hauler for his family and his two quads. He went to the dealer to have the 5th wheel hitch installed on his truck. The dealer wouldn't install it. He never considered that it was too much weight for his Dodge 1500 to haul. The dealer hauled it to his home and the trailer sat in his yard for two years until he had enough money for a good down payment for a Dodge 3500 to haul it with.

Ouch!!!

Hate to say it, but a good dealer would have asked that question and not sold him the trailer.

Sounds good. Who is building it, what will it weigh, and what are you going to pull it with?

R&S is building it outside of Omaha. Same company that did Scott Burke's. I don't know the total weight off hand. I bought an 07 Dodge 2500 diesel back in October. Pulls that 29' travel trailer like a dream.

jbrink01
01-09-2008, 01:06 PM
That Dodge sounds great. My trailer weighs about 7,000 loaded, so you ought to be in the same general ballpark. You won't even know it's back there unless you look in the mirrors or fight a really serious headwind. I get 14mpg with the trailer behind the duramax, 18 w/out.

Had a Dodge many moons ago, and got 21, with or without a trailer (cold air kit, exhaust, programmer, etc). Have Fun!

KC_Bobby
01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Hijack:
I barely get 14 mpg in my 02 Dakota with a covered bed.

That is all, continue.

jbrink01
01-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Yes, but your Dakota was decidely less than $40,000 so I gotta burn a bunch of fuel.

Plowboy
01-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Yes, but your Dakota was decidely less than $40,000 so I gotta burn a bunch of fuel.

The price of diesel relative to unleaded is also a leveler. I'm running about the same monthly fuel costs between my 18-20 MPG diesel 4x4 2500 and my former 14-15 MPG gasser 4x4 1500. At least its close enough that I don't care to actually do math to figure it out.

we'll smoke u
01-09-2008, 03:51 PM
That Dodge sounds great. My trailer weighs about 7,000 loaded, so you ought to be in the same general ballpark. You won't even know it's back there unless you look in the mirrors or fight a really serious headwind. I get 14mpg with the trailer behind the duramax, 18 w/out.

Had a Dodge many moons ago, and got 21, with or without a trailer (cold air kit, exhaust, programmer, etc). Have Fun!

The trailer pictured was 3800lbs dry. It's about 6000lbs now. When I get it done it will be right at your's 7000lbs.

Plowboy
01-09-2008, 05:11 PM
The trailer pictured was 3800lbs dry. It's about 6000lbs now. When I get it done it will be right at your's 7000lbs.

Unfortunately, most of us have to add a few lbs to our gross weight when we add ourselves to the equation. :icon_blush:

jbrink01
01-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Amen Brother!

we'll smoke u
01-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Unfortunately, most of us have to add a few lbs to our gross weight when we add ourselves to the equation. :icon_blush:

That ain't no lie

Jorge
01-10-2008, 02:46 PM
The price of diesel relative to unleaded is also a leveler. I'm running about the same monthly fuel costs between my 18-20 MPG diesel 4x4 2500 and my former 14-15 MPG gasser 4x4 1500. At least its close enough that I don't care to actually do math to figure it out.

If it makes you feel any better, I got hit in our Ford 1/2 ton that sucked gas like it was going out of style (about what you were seeing in your Dodge). We eventually ended up in the Dodge 1 ton dually 4x4. I've done the math and we are still coming out a little ahead on fuel costs. Where I'm usually fueling up I'm looking at a difference of .25-.30/gallon.