PDA

View Full Version : Bone down beef ribs, almost ready!

smooookin
01-07-2008, 04:26 PM
They are looking pretty good, BTW the little guy at about 4 o'clock came up missing right after the pic was taken. :cool:

CritterCook
01-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Those look great. I would love to cook some of those myself. Anyone know where you can get beef ribs in St. Louis?

smokestack
01-07-2008, 04:39 PM
looks good - not all the fat that you usually see- will be mighty tasty I'll bet

Arlin_MacRae
01-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Dang it, man!! You know how to make a guy appreciate his supper, don't you? ;)

I hope they taste as good as they look.

smooookin
01-07-2008, 05:00 PM
After careful taste testing they aren't have bad. Critter, I picked these up at Sam's

keale
01-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Smookin, those look great! I need to do more beef!

CritterCook
01-07-2008, 05:59 PM
I know where i'm going this weekend,

Jack2u2
01-07-2008, 06:17 PM
We have a lot of beef ribs down here, but I've never found any with that much meat. Looks really good. I'm jealous!

wlh3
01-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Great looking shorties smookin. You will have a great time chowing down on those:icon_cool:icon_cool

smooookin
01-07-2008, 07:04 PM
They were pretty good. I think either I need to do something different or just not what I was expecting. While the flavor was good, they seemed kinda tough (the bigger ones) and more fattie than I like.

G$
01-07-2008, 08:30 PM
They were pretty good. I think either I need to do something different or just not what I was expecting. While the flavor was good, they seemed kinda tough (the bigger ones) and more fattie than I like.

How long did you cook them, at approximately what temp?

Strangely, I think beef ribs or short ribs really can benefit more than any other meat from true low and slow.

smooookin
01-07-2008, 08:51 PM
They ran close to 6 hours in the (mostly) 240 area. Maybe I need to try and find some a little more lean. They weren't BAD but like I said, just a little more fattie than I like.

Of course until I learned to cook 'em I never really cared for pork ribs for the same reason.

Cabntmkr1
01-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Note to self: Must pick up beef short ribs soon!:twisted:

DaChief
01-08-2008, 11:38 AM
I haven't had much luck the few times i tried them.

BobBrisket
01-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Shorties will always be tougher. They are actually sold for use in soups and stews. I made a few some weeks back, and they flavor is decent, but they are still tough after hours in the pit.

Papa Hogg
01-08-2008, 11:49 AM
I would go 7 - 9 hours on those at the temp you were at. After that amount of time they should be nice & tender. They should almost look like charcaol briquettes when done, but when you crack that outer coating there will be nice & tender & moist meat waiting for you.

Divemaster
01-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up Pappa... I just picked up 4 pounds and was thinking that I would do them up on Sunday... Do you recommend a marinade or just doing a rub?

Papa Hogg
01-08-2008, 03:56 PM
I usually will just rub some worcestershire on them & some simple seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic & onion or Chicago or Montreal steak seasoning, or just Lowrey's) about 30 - 45 minutes before I put them in the smoker.

I think grill mates makes a montreal steak marinade, substitute the red wine vinegar with red wine, marinate over night then apply montral steak seasoning before go into the smoker..that might be tasty??

Divemaster
01-08-2008, 03:59 PM
I usually will just rub some worcestershire on them & some simple seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic & onion or Chicago or Montreal steak seasoning, or just Lowrey's) about 30 - 45 minutes before I put them in the smoker.

I think grill mates makes a montreal steak marinade, substitute the red wine vinegar with red wine, marinate over night then apply montral steak seasoning before go into the smoker..that might be tasty??
Great!!! Looks like they are coming out of the freezer on Friday.:mrgreen:

tommykendall
01-08-2008, 05:35 PM
We have a lot of beef ribs down here, but I've never found any with that much meat. Looks really good. I'm jealous!

That's what I thought here locally too but the key is "short" ribs. You should be able to find short ribs anywhere. At several recent bashes I always pondered why I could never find in SoCal what we called Dinosaur bones at the bash. These dinosaur bones were big and meaty - guests marveled them. I've come to realize that dinosaur bones are the 'short' ribs before they're cut in about 3 pieces from what was once a 10+ inch fat-ass rib connected to probably another 12 or so such ribs. Now I know that if I I ask my dumbass meat cutters here to give me those short ribs before they're cut to chit from the rib, they might have a clue what I'm looking for.