PDA

View Full Version : Pick Your Brains?

Original CharGriller
01-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Just a short note to see if anyone knows of a wireless remote meat probe or a probe that would have a built in swivel? I have the common remote probe that attaches to a sending unit that sends the temp to a reciever wirelessly.

But I can’t use it for meats that are rotisseried. I was wondering if anybody has heard of one you could use that wouldn‘t twist up the lead by some sort of swivel mechanism or had the sending unit built into the probe.

I did a Google but came up empty. I’d like to do a rib roast in ez-que cradle rotisss next week with the MC lid down for the whole gook. I’d like to try using my Afterburner mod in the SFB using some cherry logs in the can to flavor with.

I was thinking of starting it out at or around 250*-275* and finishing it off by cranking it up to approx 400* for ten or fifteen before taking it off to form a crust?

Also if the family isn't big on rare but tend to slide more to a med well or just a little pink or red in the center what would you recommed internal temp to pull?

All you prime rib guys does this sound like it would work?

bigabyte
01-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Well now. I never thought of that problem with a rotisserie before. I can't say I ahve ever seen one that would swivel.

wnkt
01-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Would a regular instant read dial thermometer survive if left in the meat? I wonder how sturdy and heat resistant the clear face on those are.

qman
01-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Would a regular instant read dial thermometer survive if left in the meat? I wonder how sturdy and heat resistant the clear face on those are.

You will kill the thermometer before you can get the lid closed.:!:

I have never seen a remote system that would work with a roti either.

A standard, old fashioned meat thermometer made for leaving inserted in the roast during cooking is the only way I know to moniter internal temp while cooking.

Brian in So Cal
01-07-2008, 02:16 PM
One with a really, really long lead would work. You would have to rewind it before you could get to your meat though.:wink::biggrin:

mm_0_mm
01-07-2008, 02:28 PM
is there enough clearance for the braided probe lead where the spit exits the smoker on the non-driven end? You could (or could you?) tie-wrap the lead all along the spit and tie-wrap the thermometer transmitter to the spit also. That would allow the probe and transmitter to rotate with the spit.

Brewmaster
01-07-2008, 02:29 PM
I have thought about this before as well. My uncle works for Tayor USA, and I talked to him about it at Christmas. He said he would give the idea to their research team.

I have also wondered about putting the sending unit in a fire proof safe. Then placing the whole safe on the rack with the meat you want to monitor.

I'm not familiar with these safes or, what degree of temp the sending unit could handle. I was just brain storming.

Nate

Harbormaster
01-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Only time I cooked on a rotiss was to do 8 green hams at a time (whole hog cooker). We just put a dial thermo in one of the hams and left it there. It worked fine.

Norcoredneck
01-07-2008, 02:39 PM
We have them at work (Space Simulation tech :biggrin:) It requires a slip ring set up, thousands and thousands of dollars. Would have to be built into spit. Doubt if you will find one. Go ifrared and get feeling for finish temps and then thermapen for deciding call. Analog (dial) oven type thermometers will go for the ride but electronic ones won't take the heat.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Oi99i2ogL._AA280_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000OYHY7O/sr=8-30/qid=1199739087/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3375251&s=sporting-goods&qid=1199739087&sr=8-30)
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Grilling-Thermometer-4%252dpc%252e-Stainless/dp/B000OYHY7O/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1199739087&sr=8-30 (http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Grilling-Thermometer-4%252dpc%252e-Stainless/dp/B000OYHY7O/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1199739087&sr=8-30)
Not to go cheap but this is what I am describing.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/norcoredneck/93984.gif
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93984

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/norcoredneck/96451.gif
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451

Or have JPW swing by with his set up.

gotwood
01-07-2008, 02:47 PM
is there enough clearance for the braided probe lead where the spit exits the smoker on the non-driven end? You could (or could you?) tie-wrap the lead all along the spit and tie-wrap the thermometer transmitter to the spit also. That would allow the probe and transmitter to rotate with the spit.

this is the best idea i've seen, only problem is if you can attach the unit before the point where the spit actually rests upon

Browser
01-07-2008, 02:49 PM
I was thinking the same as Norco, it wouldn't matter if you did have a swivel, the lead would still get wrapped around the meat/rotisserie. You'd either need a heatproof sensor unit or slip rings (like a car steering wheel has if the horn buttons are on the wheel itself) to allow the sensor to stay put while the probe rotated with the meat.

Original CharGriller
01-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Sounds like it’s going to have to be the analog meat probe like you use for the roast or turkey. Similar to what Norcore is showing. And lift the lid from time to time and when it looks like it’s getting close I’ll have to check with the instant read.

Lots of ideas here… I liked the idea of inserting the probe into the rib roast and running the wire attached to the spit and then maybe duct tape the transmitter on the handle of the spit outside the MC. My problem is the handle rotates right over the SFB. The results would be a melted transmitter. Can’t switch it or I’d nuke the rotis motor.

Now maybe affix an extension onto the spit handle that would allow the sending unit to extend past the end of the sfb enough to protect it from extreme heat? I’ll have to play with that idea as roast day is next weekend.

I hope Brewmasters uncle that works for Taylor therms will really follow through on research & development. Sounds like there may be a market niche for something that would really work if the price were right? Thanks for the ideas.

Now for the PR roast itself….250*-275* low & slow to what temp for just a little pink or red center? I’m thinking Med well….150* then let rest to 155* for a medium well? And before I might get razzed by the “pass the cow thru the flame once and throw it on the plate crowd”…:oops: I too like my meat a “little rarer” than this but I’m cooking for my family who get queasy when they see any blood.

Also if I’d like to give it 15 minutes or so at 400* before taking it off to form a nice thin crispy type crust how do I work the temps? I’m puzzled on how to accomplish both? Not over 155 in the center but yet have a nice brown crispy carmalized crust? Thanks in advance guys.

Kevin
01-07-2008, 05:49 PM
If you have a cooking grate for your side fire box, just roll the roast around on that, directly over the coals to finish it off with a nice caramelized bark.

jestridge
01-07-2008, 06:04 PM
I use to work mainetance for flowers bakery. The wrapper heads rotate and they had heater and a thrmeo inside head on the end of head they had a swivel and the wires ran through the head abd swviel the swivel was stationary and the head turn on the swivel. It could be done with some machine work.

Original CharGriller
01-07-2008, 06:05 PM
If you have a cooking grate for your side fire box, just roll the roast around on that, directly over the coals to finish it off with a nice caramelized bark.

Thanks Kevin not a bad idea but I'm using the Afterburner in the sfb it's a propane adaptation I use off and on. It really helps in cold weather holding a stable temp. I guess I could pop it under the oven broiler and do the same but would it take it past temp internal?

I guess I could have a chimney standing by of hot coals and then spread them out right under the roast on the rotis the last few minutes...but again I would probably have to modify the temp that I pull it from cooking to finish over the coals?

Maybe that carmalized crust isn't all that important...maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this. Maybe I just need to cook it on the MC grates and forget the rotis. Just K I S S it.

SmokerTim
01-07-2008, 09:29 PM
I have also wondered about putting the sending unit in a fire proof safe. Then placing the whole safe on the rack with the meat you want to monitor.

I'm not familiar with these safes or, what degree of temp the sending unit could handle. I was just brain storming.

I wonder if the signal would even transmit through the safe... :confused:

Roo-B-Q'N
01-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Sounds like it’s going to have to be the analog meat probe like you use for the roast or turkey. Similar to what Norcore is showing. And lift the lid from time to time and when it looks like it’s getting close I’ll have to check with the instant read.

Lots of ideas here… I liked the idea of inserting the probe into the rib roast and running the wire attached to the spit and then maybe duct tape the transmitter on the handle of the spit outside the MC. My problem is the handle rotates right over the SFB. The results would be a melted transmitter. Can’t switch it or I’d nuke the rotis motor.

Now maybe affix an extension onto the spit handle that would allow the sending unit to extend past the end of the sfb enough to protect it from extreme heat? I’ll have to play with that idea as roast day is next weekend.

I hope Brewmasters uncle that works for Taylor therms will really follow through on research & development. Sounds like there may be a market niche for something that would really work if the price were right? Thanks for the ideas.

Now for the PR roast itself….250*-275* low & slow to what temp for just a little pink or red center? I’m thinking Med well….150* then let rest to 155* for a medium well? And before I might get razzed by the “pass the cow thru the flame once and throw it on the plate crowd”…:oops: I too like my meat a “little rarer” than this but I’m cooking for my family who get queasy when they see any blood.

Also if I’d like to give it 15 minutes or so at 400* before taking it off to form a nice thin crispy type crust how do I work the temps? I’m puzzled on how to accomplish both? Not over 155 in the center but yet have a nice brown crispy carmalized crust? Thanks in advance guys.

Do a search for poobahs prime rib. Great recipe and way to cook to satisfy the entire family.

Cabntmkr1
01-08-2008, 11:29 AM

Mine recently melted at 250 degrees...:oops:

Original CharGriller
01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Do a search for poobahs prime rib. Great recipe and way to cook to satisfy the entire family.

I found it and excellant!!! I've been massaging all the info I found! Thanks, and if I pull this off sucessfully maybe I'll bring "Bump" it back with some pic's. Although I guess when you have seen one...you've seen them all.:rolleyes:

Original CharGriller
01-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Mine recently melted at 250 degrees...:oops:

Here is a pic of the type were talking of that can remain in the meat while smoking. This one is in a pork butt thats resting prior to pull. That's why it's over 190*:smile:

OOPS! No Pic!

Original CharGriller
01-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Try again! :biggrin: