PDA

View Full Version : stuck - no recipe

Jack2u2
01-07-2008, 11:39 AM
OK brethren -

While picking up some pork roast and bone in pork loins, I came across fresh ham hocks. Never had it, so I bought it. Now, maybe someone can tell me what to do with'em. I've bought them smoked, but never fresh. Any thoughts?

Also, something I saw but didn't buy. Fresh ham @ $1.49 lb. About 12 to 15 lbs. each. Any ideas on this chunk of meat? If it's worthy, I'll go back and get one.

Thanks

Smokin Gator
01-07-2008, 12:03 PM
I would throw the hocks on the smoker and then use them in beans or greens.

The fresh hams are good smoked whole without curing. It's just good ol smoked pork.

cmcadams
01-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Smoke them with some honey and brown sugar.. then eat them.

DaChief
01-07-2008, 12:51 PM
If they are big enough, they can make for some good eating by themselves. I used to go to a place in Germany that cooked them on a spit over a fireplace....they were excellent!

motor mouth
01-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm with Smokin Gator, smoke 'em and make beans with 'em.

Bigmista
01-07-2008, 02:37 PM
CHeck out this thread for the ham.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33941&highlight=pork+leg

CharlieBeasley
01-07-2008, 02:59 PM
If they are big enough, they can make for some good eating by themselves. I used to go to a place in Germany that cooked them on a spit over a fireplace....they were excellent!

The last time I went to Germany I went to the train station under the airport and got lunch carried it back to the room and pig out on two huge hocks and Potato salad. Smoke them low and slow then use them in collards or white beans or sea Chief would say wrap your fingers around them and enjoy (but watch your fingers)

Jack2u2
01-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Taanks for the info, all. Bigmista, appreciate the lead to that thread. Now all I have to do is decide whether I'm going to slice or pull - slice or pull - hmmmm!

elvis67
01-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Pot of beans and corn bread. Have chopped onion , vinegar, and hot sauce on the side.

thirdeye
01-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Here is some information, straight from the horses mouth so to speak. :rolleyes: The last couple of times I have used Tip #2.

Brining is not required before smoking fresh hocks, shanks or trotters, but it does change the texture, adds some color and flavor. If you want to experiment with brining, here is a starter recipe:

1 gallon of water
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons of pink salt (Insta-cure #1, Prague powder #1)
1 tablespoon of black pepper

TIP #1: Tenderquick can be substituted for the pink salt. Use 1 cup of Tenderquick and omit the kosher salt.

TIP #2: For a milder "cure" the salt can be reduced to 2/3 cup and 2 tablespoons of Tenderquick is added instead of the pink salt.

Optional ingredients include: bay leaves, crushed garlic, garlic powder or onion powder (use powders, not salt)

Combine all of the ingredients in a pot and heat to a simmer, until the salts and sugar is dissolved. Chill the brine, transfer to a non-reactive container like a plastic zipper bag, plastic bucket etc. Submerge the items (use a plate or saucer if needed to keep them submerged) and refrigerate for 3 days. Remove the items, rinse well, soak in clean water for 2 to 3 hours, dry and refrigerate for 24 hours. Then follow the cooking method below.

COOKING METHOD (Hot Smoking):

Set up the cooker for barbecuing 215° to 250° (grate temp), indirect. Sprinkle a light coating of rub on all sides and smoke with your favorite wood. A couple of hours works for previously smoked ones, 3 to 5 hours is needed for fresh ones. Basting is optional during the cook. For doneness, an internal temperature of 150° to 160° is adequate. They freeze well. In soups or beans, simmer the pieces for a couple of hours to flavor the dish. Remove the pieces, shred the meat and return to the pot. Discard the bones, skin and fat.

Here is a load of hocks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/d10a770c.jpg

Jack2u2
01-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks thirdeye. That looks really good, and something like what I was looking for. I'll give that a try, and then pester my wife until she make some beans. thanks for all the info.

Cabntmkr1
01-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Buy them and send 'em to me and Bigdog...:mrgreen:

jestridge
01-08-2008, 06:13 PM
I have done freah ham on smoker. It make great pull pork. It has less fat than a butt. You can't go wrong at that price. You also could cure it if you have the space in your fridge or a smoke house.