PDA

View Full Version : GAB Invitational Questions

Plowboy
01-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Last night I signed us up for the 2008 Great American BBQ open contest. Will there be a separate invitational application? Is there a separate entry fee for that contest?

This is our first invitational, so we are a bit clueless.

Ford
01-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Last night I signed us up for the 2008 Great American BBQ open contest. Will there be a separate invitational application? Is there a separate entry fee for that contest?

This is our first invitational, so we are a bit clueless.
The invitational is free. You should get an invitation from them and need to respond. You generally do both and use the same spot. Right now it's also on my calendar.

ique
01-07-2008, 08:08 AM
The invitational is free. You may want to drop a note to the contest organizer to let them know you will also be cooking the invitational for whatever GC qualified you.

Wizards of 'Que
01-07-2008, 08:13 AM
I think Ford means the invitational is free. In the past, there has been a separate sign up for the invitational. They should send you an invite in the spring.

Scottie
01-07-2008, 11:55 AM
The invitational is free. You should get an invitation from them and need to respond. You generally do both and use the same spot. Right now it's also on my calendar.

Oh, so you won't be going to Westmont? Maybe you can take Dr. Porkenstein with you too? 8)

Ford
01-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Oh, so you won't be going to Westmont? Maybe you can take Dr. Porkenstein with you too? 8)
I think you should have the whole A Team at Westmount. I did enjoy it last year but after missing the Royal I want to do the GAB. Now if things change I could still go to Westmount. Probably won't send in money until early April.

Scottie
01-07-2008, 12:28 PM
No, I'm going to get them to all go down to the GAB... I have to stay back in Westmont as it's my home contest. But as of now, they have not submitted anything. So I might be heading to the GAB as well. As I am pretty sure I won't be going back to the Royal, I need to get my KC fix...

Happy New Year to you and Carol.

Scottie

Dan - 3eyzbbq
01-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Scottie-

Did your fire extinguishers ever get replaced?

Scottie
01-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Yes, after months of chasing, I was just able to replace them. (It took over 2 months.) The experience from the people that run the Armerican Royal is another matter though. That is the reason I probably won't be going back. They care more about the bottom line, than any cookers they can get. As they told me, we are all replaceable, until of course, they run out of finding replacement cooks.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
01-07-2008, 02:01 PM
I don't blame you for not wanting to go back! I think you'll like the GAB better anyway. I'd love to go back, but thats a log haul. Gonna stay closer to home this year.

thenewguy
01-07-2008, 05:33 PM
So it sounds like the GAB would be a decent contest?
I'm thinkin' about entering this one. I'm gonna try to get my sis-in-law to enter the hot air balloon rallly too so the empress will have someone to talk to in between work schedules on the food.

SP
01-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Definatly a good contest that is well run. It will be our third year.

Todd was there a site choice this year? I didn't see one? I like the lot that alot of the brethren were in.

Rub
01-07-2008, 07:49 PM
How do you qualify for the GAB Invi?
How does it compare to the Royal Invi?

Plowboy
01-07-2008, 08:02 PM
How do you qualify for the GAB Invi?
How does it compare to the Royal Invi?

Pretty much the same way: win a GC at a State Championship.

Todd was there a site choice this year? I didn't see one? I like the lot that alot of the brethren were in.

No, but I did send an email tonight as suggested here letting them know that we are planning to cook the invitational. In that email, mentioned that we wanted the same spot back.

The GAB was a lot of fun for us last year even though we didn't finish all that great. Its a great value considering the space sizes, ease of getting in/out, and the level of competition. Half the price of the Royal and twice the space. Pretty nice that way.

Ulcer Acres
01-08-2008, 07:45 AM
I know I will not be going to Westmont. I am not doing any of the Chicago contest. I may go to the GAB, but will have to wait and see.

Scottie
01-08-2008, 10:25 AM
So if you are giving up on the Chicago contests... I assume that means you won't be in the running for the Smack Talk belt. Good, one less smacker I need to step over to claim the belt... :wink:

Ulcer Acres
01-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Scottie, you dont understand. The Smack Talk Belt is a seasonal award not just a chicago deal.

Scottie
01-08-2008, 12:12 PM
That it is... But it's awarded at a Chicago contest... So of course if you win, I will just claim it... :roll: