PDA

View Full Version : More Beans Please.....

LMAJ
01-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Made Kerri's beans last week and they were such a hit I got a request to make them again today so they are happlily perking along in the crock pot.
Am going to take some left over brisket, and cook it burnt ends style and some pulled pork to round out the menu - started the day with a fattie and biscuits - life is good......
Thanks to all for posting your menus, ideas etc - my cooking has gotten much better in the past six months - L-M

LMAJ
01-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Suppers over...
Left - Right...
Rib, burnt ends, pork, corn bread, Kerri's Hog Apple Beans...

N8man
01-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Mighty Fine Looking Eats you got there....

Rub-A-Dub
01-06-2008, 08:48 PM
You guys keep it up with the beans pron and I'll have to add it to all my menus LOL.

thirdeye
01-06-2008, 09:11 PM
I've cornered the Great Northern bean market. Cooked a pot yesterday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/IMG_0244a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/IMG_0264a.jpg

Greendriver
01-06-2008, 09:13 PM
I gotta do that one for sure.

DaChief
01-07-2008, 06:45 AM
I gotta do that one for sure.

You and me both!!!

Jack2u2
01-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Love them beans - Kerri's beans will be a stable at my cookouts!

augie
01-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I've made these beans three times now, each time in the oven. They've always been a big hit.

I'm planning to make a batch to take to my fantasy football league year end party this coming weekend. I want to make a fatty and some ABTs as well. I was thinking that since I'll have the WSM fired up anyway, why not cook the beans on the lower grate and have the fatty drip into them, and get some smoke flavor?

For any of you that have done this, would I be able to use a disposable aluminum pan to cook them in, or do you think something sturdier will be needed?

Maybe it's time to sneak out and buy a cheapie dutch oven?

Brauma
01-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Kerri's Beans - YUM!!

bbqbull
01-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I've cornered the Great Northern bean market. Cooked a pot yesterday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/IMG_0244a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/IMG_0264a.jpg

Made the same and enjoyed it on Christmas Day.

We used Michigan grown beans and smoked pork neck bones.

Will do it next week as well.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

LMAJ
01-07-2008, 02:29 PM
I've made these beans three times now, each time in the oven. They've always been a big hit.

I'm planning to make a batch to take to my fantasy football league year end party this coming weekend. I want to make a fatty and some ABTs as well. I was thinking that since I'll have the WSM fired up anyway, why not cook the beans on the lower grate and have the fatty drip into them, and get some smoke flavor?

For any of you that have done this, would I be able to use a disposable aluminum pan to cook them in, or do you think something sturdier will be needed?

A few things - I have read where folks cook beans in their pits so that shouldn't be an issue. If you are using aluminium pans you may want to double or triple them up - this is a sturdy dish...

As for letting a fatty drip into your beans - I would think that would make them too greasy - you already have plenty with the bacon and pork that's already in there - just my .02.

BobBrisket
01-07-2008, 02:35 PM

I would go with the Dutch, this way, it's an excuse to buy another toy. You could use the alum pans, and maybe double them up for added strength. Definitely let the drippings fall into the beans. A trick I learned so that they beans don't get over smoked, is to put foil over the pan after it's gotten all the smoke you want on them. Then put them back in smoker and poke a few hole in the center of the foil. This way you can still catch the drippings but not the smoke.

Cuelio
01-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Can't seem to find the recipe for Kerri's beans. Could one of you link me there?

Kevin
01-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Can't seem to find the recipe for Kerri's beans. Could one of you link me there?

Yep
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=423407&postcount=9

Kevin
01-07-2008, 04:20 PM

I use disposable aluminum pans and transport them on a sheet pan. Slide the aluminum pan off the sheet pan onto the cooker grate. Take them back out in the same fashion.

Cuelio
01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
WOW! Apple pie filling, huh? I'm going to have to make a batch without telling the in-laws what's in it. I bet they'll love it then.

Thanks, Kevin.

smokestack
01-07-2008, 04:46 PM
sounds like a winner- been making Boston baked beans and they have been killer- will have to try these next

Kentuckiana Gib
01-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Michigan beans and smoked pork neck down here in Evansville too. We had beans tonight that were the third warming. Crumbled some leftover cornbread in the bowl and a ladle full of beans on top with extra juice. Same with the second bowl too.

Cabntmkr1
01-08-2008, 11:38 AM
I haven't tried these yet, but have made and loved Jack's Old South Peach Baked Beans. The two recipes are very similar in nature.
I really liked the Peach beans, and have no doubt that these are totally awesome, too!

DaChief
01-08-2008, 11:42 AM
I am making these for the first time this weekend to have with my prime rib!

The_Kapn
01-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I haven't tried these yet, but have made and loved Jack's Old South Peach Baked Beans. The two recipes are very similar in nature.
I really liked the Peach beans, and have no doubt that these are totally awesome, too!

Peach Rocks!!!!!!!!!

I have done both Keri's and Myron's and like them both.
I now cook a mixture of the two recipies and they are always a hit.

TIM