PDA

View Full Version : Proposed: Rick and Plowboy Egg Cook-off

BBQ Grail
01-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Here's the proposal!

Pick an upcoming weekend that works for both of you. On Friday night and Saturday you cook (on the Eggs). Take pictures as you go of everything. On Sunday morning you post the pron.

And we get to look and then vote on a winner! Kind of like a People's Choice!

Come on guys do it for us!

Anyone else want to encourage them?

Anyone else with an Egg want to play along?

keale
01-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Larry, I think Thats a great idea, but you have to open it to the rest... Swamp, Smoking Gator, Arlin, JD, Hiloboy...
Sounds like fun!

Barbarian
01-06-2008, 11:39 AM
That sounds pretty cool. This type of idea could extend to UDS challenges and all sorts of long distance contests. Could be quite fun.

BBQ Grail
01-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Anyone else with an Egg want to play along?

Larry, I think Thats a great idea, but you have to open it to the rest... Swamp, Smoking Gator, Arlin, JD, Hiloboy...
Sounds like fun!

It's open to any Egghead that wants to play along.

N8man
01-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Sort of like a take off of IRON CHEF, an "EGG CHEF AMERICA" competition

Smokin Gator
01-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I can't do it next weekend as I am taking my Florida Educational Leadership Exam (prayers please). I'm in after that. My money is on Rick though as his pics take his cooking to another level (and we all know the boy can cook)!!!

keale
01-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Can't forget THIRDEYE!!,

I think we need a "neutral" photographer though!! Right Rick?? LOL! I drool everytime I see Ricks pictures

chinesebob
01-06-2008, 11:49 AM
That sounds pretty cool. This type of idea could extend to UDS challenges and all sorts of long distance contests. Could be quite fun.

How about the Brethren Smoking Challenge? Each person cooks on their appliance of choice for that group. So the spicewines, uds, egg's, etc cook and show. The winner from each group get to compete another weekend against the winners from the other groups.

Or we could do a tourny style just match people up......That could be fun. Instead of gambling on who would advance we could put money towards one of the cooking charities and to Pooh for site maintenance...

ADD MOD - Good at coming up with ideas but usually need help implementing. And those were the only two that I wrote down. I deleted 4 others......

There's have to be rules though...... No painting the food to look better.

BBQ Grail
01-06-2008, 11:53 AM
As the instigator of this, I will coordinate the date. If you want to participate in the First Brethren Online Eggfest post your preferred dates in this thread by Wednesday, January 9th.

I'll come up with a real nice certificate of achievement for the winner!

BBQ Grail
01-06-2008, 11:54 AM
How about the Brethren Smoking Challenge? Each person cooks on their appliance of choice for that group. So the spicewines, uds, egg's, etc cook and show. The winner from each group get to compete another weekend against the winners from the other groups.

Or we could do a tourny style just match people up......That could be fun. Instead of gambling on who would advance we could put money towards one of the cooking charities and to Pooh for site maintenance...

ADD MOD - Good at coming up with ideas but usually need help implementing. And those were the only two that I wrote down. I deleted 4 others......

There's have to be rules though...... No painting the food to look better.

Great idea. Let's do the eggheads first and see how it goes. We can then use that to correct our errors and get something going.

jacob
01-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Now I wish I had me an egg. But this here is a great ideal, will we need to register to vote.:biggrin::cool:

chinesebob
01-06-2008, 11:59 AM
We can set the date and a have a poll setup. Take the kcbs judging guidelines and put them in the poll on appearance. Then we can have someone else weigh in on flavor - maybe someone local - oh that lives 30 or 40 miles away - Likes beer....

I'm not a judge so I don't know what the questions or what they look for.

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-06-2008, 12:11 PM
DO'OH!
you mean i have to actually cook? don't you realize all my stuff is airbrushed in photoshop? hahahaha :biggrin:

i think thirdeye wins already. he is my mentor. i'm gonna have to think about this one....

is this open to anything we want to cook?

oh geeeze... i can't take the pressure already! i gotta go pay for my fall bristol race tickets... be back later, guys..............

Ron_L
01-06-2008, 12:41 PM
DO'OH!
you mean i have to actually cook? don't you realize all my stuff is airbrushed in photoshop? hahahaha :biggrin:

i think thirdeye wins already. he is my mentor. i'm gonna have to think about this one....

is this open to anything we want to cook?

oh geeeze... i can't take the pressure already! i gotta go pay for my fall bristol race tickets... be back later, guys..............

Modesty becomes you :rolleyes:

Geez, Rick... The judging is based on pron. You're the king of pron around here. You could that a McRib and make it look fantastic! :-D

Having said that, I am up for the challenge. This coming weekend is OK with me as long as I can cook on Saturday and Sunday. Otherwise I have Sundays open for the next couple of weeks after that.

JD McGee
01-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I think it should be open to all smokers...not just eggs. It's about the "pron"...not the equipment. We should contact the Food Network and get some national coverage! :biggrin: Also...no Photoshop. :twisted:

Greendriver
01-06-2008, 01:01 PM
This is working very well on another forum I know of with a few differences:

it is open to all types of cookers made for outdoor use that uses gas, charcoal, wood, or logs but one of the pics must include a pic of the items on the cooker.
someone prior to the event chooses a short list of ingredients which must be included in the cook.
a date from and to is chosen in which the contestents may post their cook which eliminates the event from falling on a particular date that is not available for someone that wants to be in it.
all forum members get to vote on the entries by pm'ing someone chosen before hand and the votes are to be in a 1 to 5 format.

BBQ Grail
01-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Geez guys! I just wanted to see more Rick and Todd pron. I thought a couple Eggheads cooking with pictures would be great.

So if someone wants to coordinate an all cooks type of event I'll hand this thread off.

fnnm358
01-06-2008, 01:25 PM
shoot I dont know how to even post pics to this board but I am up to the job of doing some cooking

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Geez guys! I just wanted to see more Rick and Todd pron. I thought a couple Eggheads cooking with pictures would be great.

So if someone wants to coordinate an all cooks type of event I'll hand this thread off.

dude, i already post everything i cook on the eggs on here, but it could be an interesting event. there is the little problem i have in that it's just me here, so i have to eat everything i cook, although i get help sometimes from the neighbors and friends and the people down at the bar.

you want to see more rick pron? are ya sure? it ain't gonna be pretty, but i am what i am! :biggrin:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/rtdmay07.jpg

Greendriver
01-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Ha, now we know the secret...........it's the hat.

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Ha, now we know the secret...........it's the hat.

let it be known you need to cook with the biggest hat you can find! that happens to be the sam houston from sunbody hats (http://www.sunbody.com/) and it's my 'sunday go to meetin hat'! i also have the 6" brim 'gus' and i got both of them after i had some skin cancer hacked off my face. :wink:

Norcoredneck
01-06-2008, 03:34 PM
I hear rumor some Breathren are already trying to bribe Thirdeye and Ricks neighbors to thumbprint the lens! Handicap mod. :wink:

Jorge
01-06-2008, 03:36 PM
let it be known you need to cook with the biggest hat you can find! that happens to be the sam houston from sunbody hats (http://www.sunbody.com/) and it's my 'sunday go to meetin hat'! i also have the 6" brim 'gus' and i got both of them after i had some skin cancer hacked off my face. :wink:

If you get serious about your hats....

http://www.texashatters.com/

It's the home of the original 'Gus' and a few others.

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-06-2008, 03:47 PM
I hear rumor some Breathren are already trying to bribe Thirdeye and Ricks neighbors to thumbprint the lens! Handicap mod. :wink:

hahaaa! you will know that i always check the lens prior to each shooting session cause there is always some grease splatter on there. so bring it!
and my neighbor would never do that! *L*

If you get serious about your hats....

http://www.texashatters.com/

It's the home of the original 'Gus' and a few others.

thanks man. at the time, after the face hacking, i just did a search for the largest brim hats i could find for shade and i came upon sunbody...

timzcardz
01-06-2008, 03:53 PM
An online BBQ comp!

Pretty original and pretty amazing, but .... will there be an additional charge for non-KCBS members? :biggrin:

Dr_KY
01-06-2008, 04:00 PM
let it be known you need to cook with the biggest hat you can find!

lol Hats are a good thing...

http://i17.tinypic.com/6k8yuzc.jpg

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-06-2008, 04:11 PM
An online BBQ comp!

Pretty original and pretty amazing, but .... will there be an additional charge for non-KCBS members? :biggrin:

so i reckon i best be joining then??

is that you, man? what kinda meat are you haulin there? *L* actually, i can't wear those hats i got when it's in the heat of the summer cause i tend to be a sweater and theys too hot. time to go flame an egg cause i'm gonna try something new with the leftover chicken from last night.

Dr_KY
01-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Ya that me right there and that's my daughters EX boyfriend in the bag.

N8man
01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
As long as you didn't boil him I guess that's ok...:twisted:

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-06-2008, 04:25 PM

hahahahaha! cool! nice to meetcha man *L* still laughing at the x boyfriend thing. ok... this time i'm going outside to flame an egg.

Dr_KY
01-06-2008, 04:29 PM
As long as you didn't boil him I guess that's ok...:twisted:
Nahh he's in the freezer ground like coffee.

swamprb
01-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I'd be up for it! Can I use my Kamado too? Lets not leave out the Primo, Komodo, Sazco and Grill Dome users.
Then everyone can get involved-the next week have an all WSM, ECB, UDS, GOSM,Klose,Spicewine etc. Pick a pit a week and have a poll vote for the best pron.

Ernie3
01-06-2008, 05:32 PM

LMAO!!!!!

smokinbadger
01-06-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm up for it! Even though I've only got three cooks under my belt with the egg, I just want to be able to say I took part in this.

Do you think we should require the pron to have a copy of the day's newspaper to show that the food is not from the archives? *hostage mod*

chinesebob
01-06-2008, 05:47 PM
dude, i already post everything i cook on the eggs on here, but it could be an interesting event. there is the little problem i have in that it's just me here, so i have to eat everything i cook, although i get help sometimes from the neighbors and friends and the people down at the bar.

you want to see more rick pron? are ya sure? it ain't gonna be pretty, but i am what i am! :biggrin:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/rtdmay07.jpg

I don't know what's scarier - your avatar or the actual picture....

Ernie3
01-06-2008, 05:59 PM

uh ohhh!!!!!:eek:

Bigdog
01-06-2008, 06:12 PM
and it's my 'sunday go to meetin hat'! i also have the 6" brim 'gus' and i got both of them after i had some skin cancer hacked off my face. :wink:

Same here bro. A friend of mine, Kathleen Kelley, a local reporter here for a long time always wore big hats. I asked her one day about it thinking she did it just as a trademark thingie, but she told me it was all about protecting herself from skin cancer. She never went outside without one. That is good advice. I now wear one almost all the time too. Another benefit is it protects you from a bad hair day.:oops:

BOT: I'm putting my money on RTD. We have some great cooks here and some excellent photographers too, but Rick's stuff is hard to beat. This should be interesting.

jestridge
01-06-2008, 06:25 PM
MAybe you could have the egg class then a open class. Some of the pictures I've seen are very professional looking.

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-06-2008, 06:57 PM

i told you it wasn't gonna be pretty! the avatar is vincent price! hahaa

and you wanted to come over and taste what i cook... geeez! *LOL*

i took a couple tonight of myself when i was cooking up my leftover chicken... i might just post a couple of those... maybe. i ain't skeerd!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Azinine
01-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Do you think we should require the pron to have a copy of the day's newspaper to show that the food is not from the archives? *hostage mod*

I see where you're coming from, but surely this wouldn't be necessary. Especially since there is no money involved. If somebody wants to cheat in what is essentially a pr0n exhibition, then I feel sorry for them.

Plowboy
01-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I think there should be a rating system like a KCBS event. Maybe not a rating per se, but general thoughts as to how to cast your vote. Its all subjective, but lets make this about more than just pictures.

Appearance (the pron)
Use of Cooker/Equipment (Creativity, complexity, etc.)
Creativity of Dish (combination of ingredients, overall theme, etc.)

chinesebob
01-06-2008, 08:43 PM
i told you it wasn't gonna be pretty! the avatar is vincent price! hahaa

and you wanted to come over and taste what i cook... geeez! *LOL*

i took a couple tonight of myself when i was cooking up my leftover chicken... i might just post a couple of those... maybe. i ain't skeerd!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

No worries there my friend. I'm trying to dig up a picture from last year of me in my Flaming Pig Apron, Pork Pie, and a fat stogie sticking out of my mouth - that's a scary look.

And I'm still game on coming to taste.

thirdeye
01-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Sort of like a take off of IRON CHEF, an "EGG CHEF AMERICA" competition

You mean like having a couple of secret ingredients that are revealed at midnight?

And the envelope please......Ah, beef tongue and eggplant Heheeee.

Greendriver
01-06-2008, 09:16 PM

http://i17.tinypic.com/6k8yuzc.jpg

a pig in da poke?

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-06-2008, 09:25 PM
You mean like having a couple of secret ingredients that are revealed at midnight?

bad thirdeye! bad thirdeye! i don't care how ya cook it, i ain't eatin no tongue

chinesebob
01-06-2008, 11:55 PM
I got an idea on being anonymous. Both parties can send them to our Great Poohbah and have him post them so that as we vote on appearance it will be objective. Unless that's too much work.

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-07-2008, 05:51 AM
I got an idea on being anonymous. Both parties can send them to our Great Poohbah and have him post them so that as we vote on appearance it will be objective. Unless that's too much work.

i guess my visible watermark will have to say 'another moose' then :biggrin:

Smokin Gator
01-07-2008, 07:18 AM
If somebody wants to cheat in what is essentially a pr0n exhibition, then I feel sorry for them.

So you feel sorry for me huh!!!:-P

Bill-Chicago
01-07-2008, 07:30 AM
The winner will have to face ThirdEye!

Plowboy
01-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Maybe this whole contest needs a Board of Directors. :twisted:

Good examples of why KCBS is so political and complicated at times. :roll:

Ron_L
01-07-2008, 08:19 PM

Have you been looking in my freezer again? :-D

bad thirdeye! bad thirdeye! i don't care how ya cook it, i ain't eatin no tongue

C'mon, Rick... A little tongue never hurt anyone! :twisted:

butts a fire
01-08-2008, 08:13 AM
I think the pron contest sounds great I don't have an egg but would love to compete in the weber, Dera, or backwoods classes.

Divemaster
01-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I know that I'm no match for either Rick or Thirdeye, but I'd love to try!!! Count me in!

N8man
01-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Allez Cuisine!:biggrin:

chinesebob
01-08-2008, 11:32 PM
So we going to set a date? How about the 26th/27th. Do we need we need someone to keep Rick/Plowboy honest?

I think I know a certfied judge not too far from Rick and someone else that can provide the wash between tastings...... Plowboy do you have anyone you can "trust" nearby?

What does the winner get? How about a shirt that says "I Got Beat By Rick/Plowboy's Smoked Meat!"

You know we might just start a cost effective comp tradition this way.

Norcoredneck
01-09-2008, 01:32 AM
How does the points for the screen lick figure in the overall total?

Plowboy
01-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Plowboy do you have anyone you can "trust" nearby?

Absolutely not. :cool: I trust no one. Barely trust myself.

Greendriver
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
If someone wants to step up to the plate and get the ball rolling on this I can give you a contact for someone that is doing this now to pick there brain on how they set theirs up - I'm sure they would be glad to share that info.

chinesebob
01-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Maybe the easiest way to do this is each one takes no more than 5 pictures in a white styrofoam container showing grain, bark, etc. We'll make it anonymous by posting through a designated undisclosed brethren.

Honor system - No PHOTOSHOP! Unless it's phil's mug somewhere in the picture. Then everyone votes. Not a comparison. Just pure poll on impressions of the food.

What do you think? If there's tasting like I said Curt's(certified judge) only 30 miles from Rick and we could probably find a volunteer to back him up.

Plowboy I'm not sure where you live in conjunction to the other brethren but food usually draws them out.

Thoughts? Feedback?

Norcoredneck
01-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Thought it started out as a "Virtual Comp". If someone set up a Photobucket account and participants sent pics to him and he posted. Food should be displayed on common paper plates to disguise photo techniques. No airbrush no photoshop, all in good fun.

swamprb
01-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Getting way too complicated for me

Dr_KY
01-10-2008, 04:49 AM
I like the 'decide what meat, cook it and photograph it on a white plate' idea.

Dedicate one thread full of this pron and we all win.

It keeps the fun in it without any stress about fairness ect. JMO

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-10-2008, 05:27 AM
Maybe the easiest way to do this is each one takes no more than 5 pictures in a white styrofoam container showing grain, bark, etc. We'll make it anonymous by posting through a designated undisclosed brethren.

Honor system - No PHOTOSHOP! Unless it's phil's mug somewhere in the picture. Then everyone votes. Not a comparison. Just pure poll on impressions of the food.

What do you think? If there's tasting like I said Curt's(certified judge) only 30 miles from Rick and we could probably find a volunteer to back him up.

Plowboy I'm not sure where you live in conjunction to the other brethren but food usually draws them out.

Thoughts? Feedback?

one of the major things i do to my photographs in photoshop is resize the image to 800x600 pixels and reduce the file size to something manageable from 3.5 MB. if i can't do that, then i can't play. other mods i typically do are sharpen image and bump up the saturation, but it's not drastically different from the original image.

is this supposed to be just the four kcbs categories or what?

i'm gonna have to forfeit as this is getting way too complicated. like i said, i already post all my pron on here anyway and the original purpose of the challenge was for more pron.

sorry brothers :|

Dr_KY
01-10-2008, 05:48 AM
Now what was complicated about my idea Rick HhAAAaaahahahhhaahaahhh!

Are you up at this hour cooking?

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Now what was complicated about my idea Rick HhAAAaaahahahhhaahaahhh!

Are you up at this hour cooking?

it's almost 0700, got to go to work so i can get money to buy more meat :biggrin:

Dr_KY
01-10-2008, 06:07 AM
lol I'm off to work to as it past 12:10 hours. I need to get there to find more parts to build with.

chinesebob
01-10-2008, 06:55 AM
ok I'm sorry. I was in work mode there. I get a little too intense for most people after 12 hours of work.