PDA

View Full Version : UDS in the works volume 1

Barbarian
01-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Well got six drums on the pouring rain on Friday (we got 7" at home). Drums were $10 each from a cookie factory. They had stored lite molasses or some type of sugar in them. Made the garage smell like cookies, lol.

Start the build on Saturday, probably should have done the paint burn first but got carried away with the figurin', measurin' and drillin'. So burned the built one and one of the raw ones. The burn was the toughest part for us. Now the questions.
1. How do I know I have burnt off all the paint?
Might sound silly but don't want to get anyone sick when cooking.
2. How do you burn off the paint on the lid?
The only time it seemed the paint was cooking off was when the flames were coming out the top. Forgot to take any pics of the burn. Some of the pics on different threads showed shiny metal where mine are all black on the inside. Some of the paint has flaked off the outside but cannot tell on the inside.

Thanks for any advice from the brethren out in Qland.

BBQ Grail
01-06-2008, 11:17 AM
It's a UDS factory!

Let's hope no one drives up and throws your new UDS in the back of a truck and drives off!

chinesebob
01-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Well got six drums on the pouring rain on Friday (we got 7" at home). Drums were $10 each from a cookie factory. They had stored lite molasses or some type of sugar in them. Made the garage smell like cookies, lol.

That's a great deal.

Start the build on Saturday, probably should have done the paint burn first but got carried away with the figurin', measurin' and drillin'. So burned the built one and one of the raw ones. The burn was the toughest part for us. Now the questions.
1. How do I know I have burnt off all the paint?
Might sound silly but don't want to get anyone sick when cooking.

I have no idea on telling that. The other guys probably do. Molasses.... Might have some good leftover flavor?...

2. How do you burn off the paint on the lid?
The only time it seemed the paint was cooking off was when the flames were coming out the top. Forgot to take any pics of the burn. Some of the pics on different threads showed shiny metal where mine are all black on the inside. Some of the paint has flaked off the outside but cannot tell on the inside.
Thanks for any advice from the brethren out in Qland.

One thought that comes to mind is if you had the firebox built you could put it on the top smoking shelf of the built one. Either that or use a weed burner if you have one. I've seen some people use those.

OK, Now the question - what are you going to do with 10 UDS?

Barbarian
01-06-2008, 11:21 AM
It's a UDS factory!

Let's hope no one drives up and throws your new UDS in the back of a truck and drives off!

Very fitting start to this thread! lol

Barbarian
01-06-2008, 11:32 AM
That's a great deal.
Yeah, I thought so to. And all were in great shape. I have to thank BeerWolf for the heads up on the Cookie Factory.

I have no idea on telling that. The other guys probably do. Molasses.... Might have some good leftover flavor?...

Yeah, but its the paint flavor I am worried about!

One thought that comes to mind is if you had the firebox built you could put it on the top smoking shelf of the built one. Either that or use a weed burner if you have one. I've seen some people use those.
I think I will look into the weed burner. Though I probably won't do the mods to it that NorcoRedneck has done, don't really need a 6 foot flame even though it is cool!

OK, Now the question - what are you going to do with 10 UDS?
Not 10 just 6. I got 2 for me I figured I would want to change something from the first build and could give the first to my son. My buddy got the other 4, one for him, one for his dad and one for his two brother in laws. And he drove the 60 miles to pick them up. None of them have smokers just have tasted what I have cooked and now want to do it themselves. Which is pretty cool.

Now if things fall into place as they have started to there will be 6 new drumheads out here in Lake County and 3 new drumheads in KC, my brother, brother in law and cohort in the kidnapping are all getting drums there. Gotta love it!

N8man
01-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I think you need to burn it more. I had to burn mine out three times then wire brush both the inside and out. I had a raging fire each time that shot out the top and I put my lid on the top of the drum to burn it off.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8242&d=1182263470http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8243&d=1182263470

keale
01-06-2008, 11:42 AM
That yellow one looks like mine, w/ the two intake pipes...
Ship one to me when you're done! You can never have enough toy's...

cardiac_cadet002
01-06-2008, 11:47 AM
N8man is right, do 2 or 3 good 2 hour burns in each drum. When I built mine i took old pallets and a rip saw and cut them up and started the fire with 4 or 5 pieces and just maintained the fire from there. Make sure the lumber extends out the top of the barrel to be sure and get all the paint. I did like N8man's second pic and balanced the lid on top while the fire was raging to burn off the paint from it, just be sure not to let it fall off and get warped or out of round, causing it not to seal well. I wasnt paying attention and mine fell off onto the driveway and it took me about an hour to get it back in round. As far as the paint on the outside it should turn to a powder which can easily be sanded off. I think the hardest part of the burn was getting the paint off the bottom of the drum, but it will eventually with a few good burns and a wire wheel on a drill. Good luck with the build.

Smokin Gator
01-06-2008, 11:50 AM
I think you need to burn it more. I had to burn mine out three times then wire brush both the inside and out. I had a raging fire each time that shot out the top and I put my lid on the top of the drum to burn it off.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8242&d=1182263470http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8243&d=1182263470

What he said... and that is how I did my lid on the second one. I just had to turn it a couple of times and all the paint came off.

I hit mine with a wire brush and then some sandpaper... then you have to paint it right away.... they will get rust on the surface overnight. Or that may have been a living by the beach mod!!!

smooookin
01-06-2008, 12:14 PM
I am sure others will disagree but I have never burn mine out that far. I have built them and loaded her up and let her go @ over 400 for several hours. All of the drums have been food safe and I figured with a good seasoning and a hot fire it would be fine. Except for a slight twitch from time to time there has been no problem. J/K

I have never had a paint or fume smell or taste from any of them.

Dang, Jerry, I guess if your gonna go, GO BIG!

BTW I hooked the other three up today with some drums I found on Craigslist. I guess my neighbor still has that hang nail.

boatnut
01-06-2008, 01:24 PM
whats the purpose of having the bottom vent extend up the side like yours is? any benefit over just having vent at bottom with perhaps a valve to control air?

Beerwolf
01-06-2008, 01:29 PM
I'd suggest getting the bottom holes cut before burning. that way you will get the air to the molasses and really get a rip roaring fire going. It worked well for me. That way you can wire brush it all off and go right to seasoning the inside.

deeque
01-06-2008, 03:15 PM
good luck with the build. looks like the UDS is alive and growing. :-D:cool:

keale
01-06-2008, 03:22 PM
whats the purpose of having the bottom vent extend up the side like yours is? any benefit over just having vent at bottom with perhaps a valve to control air?

Its for us LAZY, bigger people that don't want to bend down! :biggrin: you just put a cap/ or ball valve on... I do notice, though that the air flow is less when its higher than the ones at the bottom... that's MHO....

Dr_KY
01-06-2008, 03:27 PM
I do exactly what the other suggested when burning out. You can tell when it's gone when you can see the steel.

chinesebob
01-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Its for us LAZY, bigger people that don't want to bend down! :biggrin: you just put a cap/ or ball valve on... I do notice, though that the air flow is less when its higher than the ones at the bottom... that's MHO....

I used a 1" hole for mine. I crank both open for about 40 minutes until it's nice and comfortable. Then I turn one down to half and it burns like a champ. it's been going almost 12 hours at 220 degrees with NO HUMAN Intervention. And I can still see unlit chunks. Since I have a 2 inch valve on the top I use my flashlight to check the status of the fire if I can't see clearly.

I wish I knew this much before the fire. Could shoot myself.

Dr_KY
01-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Bob I think I'll be keeping one of those sight glasses on my new build now.

Barbarian
01-06-2008, 07:21 PM

what he said but you can add old to the lazy and bigger, lol.
Thanks for all the info guys will try again tommorrow. Also picked up a weed burner today and will use that also, maybe the lid and bottom.

Barbarian
01-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Well back to the UDS again today. Went ahead and cut the lip off the top and the Weber clone lid fits just fine. It might weaken the drum a bit, but I don't plan on doin' a Redneck cleanout anyway. LOL.

Going to try Smooookin's method of just running 18# load of charcoal through instead of the total burnout. Will see how it works.
One lid warped pretty bad on me when I used the weed burner on it so I am hoping to heat it and flatten it out again. Also wanted to do some of the burn with the Clone lid on.

The other pics are of the stand I am working on. I found a drum dolly at a salvage yard that is 1/4" steel but the side were a bit small, so I took to a welder and had him cut them off along with the casters and weld on 3/8" x 2" flat steel to hold the drum in place. I am going to put 8" legs on it and cut the bottom out. So it will be about the same heighth as if it was on cement blocks. But I can just lift the drum off the stand and get to the charcoal basket. I am not as tall as N8Man but to old to be crawling into drums to get the basket out and it puts the intakes up a little.

Barbarian
01-10-2008, 05:49 PM
I am going to put 8" legs on it and cut the bottom out.

That is cut the bottom of the drum out! Not the stand.

Barbarian
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
And Redneck, I thought you would like to know that I bought the step drill bits after fighting a hole saw and they work great. Much easy and better cut. Thanks.

Norcoredneck
01-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Did you get the pakage yet? Have you figured out Stack for deck yet?. After thinking look for a header collector.

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/500/500-18806.jpg

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_16716_-1

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/555/555-30005.jpg

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_79198_-1

Barbarian
01-10-2008, 07:44 PM
No but I have not checked todays mail.

N8man
01-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Looks like it's coming together real well for you...
Like that stand!!!! You'll be smoking in no time.....

wlh3
01-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Good looking drum you got going there Jerry. When its done you will love it. That stand is stout!!:eek::icon_cool

Jeff Wohlt
01-11-2008, 09:57 AM
I really like the bottom removed concept. Seems that would be the way to go and never have to lean over the fire. You can also use a full with basket that way to fit the dia of the barrel better.

Also, the lid is cool...gives you more room on the top grate meaning you can have the lower grate higher from the fire...even a third grate would be easy.

Barbarian
01-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Well got her put together and being a bit conservative by just trying one XXL fatty for the maiden cook. Also because I used the Smooookin burn not the total burn on the drums. Smoked at 240-250 until internal temp hit 160. Used some wine barrel oak and put Monterey Jack, Medium Chedder, dried apple and dried pineapple in two pounds of Jimmy Dean with D-Dogs Apple rub. Came out nice for a first cook.

Irrad8
01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Yummy! I can't wait to get mine done so I can join the fun.

Meat Burner
01-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Yummy! I can't wait to get mine done so I can join the fun.

Git er done!!!!!!!!!

smooookin
01-14-2008, 10:15 PM
LOL, I have a feeling that one turned out much better than the one you did on the "stolen UDS"!! looks great Jerry!

biffleg
01-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Great job Barbarian! I like what you've done for your fire basket - I gotta rethink mine ... or find a welder nearby to help me out :-D

Norcoredneck
01-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Great job now slap some real meat on that baby!

CajunSmoker
01-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Looks good Barbarian:cool: Now you want have to resort to a life of crime to cook your Q:mrgreen:

Jack2u2
01-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Good looking drums! But I have a question....
On one of the other threads, it was stated that the heat difference form center to ouside of the cooking rack was 50 degrees, due to the fact that the UDS is direct heat, and will cook hotter in the middle. It was suggested that more exhaust vents might alleviate part of the problem. I am considering drilling 6 holes in my lid - 1 at 12 o'clock position, 1 at 2, 1 at 4, 6, 8, 10. I would put some type of valve to close them if needed, and after the food is cooked. Do you think this would help distribute the heat? Since the holes would be equally spaced on the outside of the lid, do you think it would force the rising hot air to spread out and equalize the temps?

Dr_KY
01-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Jack-Have a word with Sterlingsmoker. I think Big Mista has a lid like this too.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/TER_bucket/PictureorVideo819.jpg

Jack2u2
01-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks - that's exactly what I was thinking about - I'll give'em a holler.