PDA

View Full Version : Storing Recipes - Software vs Binders

chinesebob
01-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Ok, I've got sheets of paper, books, magazine clippings, text files, web sites, etc with recipes I use.

I've been trying to get them all coordinated so I can have one place. Being somewhat of a geek I like the idea of software so I can search based on ingredients, categories, quantity, cooking time. Etc.

The question I have is what do you guys use for your recipes? I've looked at PC and Mac recipe software and they all do different things that are good and bad. I found one that even has a pantry inventory so it can adjust the shopping list by what you have in stock. But it doesn't export to HTML or to basic text.

Another one I found does full screen so if you're in the kitchen with your laptop it would show up on the whole screen in large print.

A couple of years ago I started on a database addition to my blogging software so I could put in a recipe on my blog very cleanly but I'm not a web designer - more the database architect/PM mentality.

Some are cheap, some are not. Question I have is what do you guys use?

boatnut
01-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I finally got around to orginizing mine. was a mish mash of printed out web recipes, newspaper clippings etc. I copied everything so it was on normal size paper, then I bought two binders and a bunch of those plastic cover thingies. Also labels. I divided everything into Meat then subdivided into pork, beef , poultry and fish. Then I had sections for sides, sauces etc. I also made two copies of most things so I have another copy at my lake place. Not perfect but it works. I think i'd prefer this method over a software/computer type deal, but that's just me. When I wanna make something, I just open binder and take out recipe I need. The plastic cover keeps it from getting splattered etc. I really need to make up and index though.

BBQ Grail
01-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Great discussion topic!

I use a program call "Now Your Cooking." It will import from almost any format. Mostly I like the user interface (GUI). I keep the recipes in there as a sort of master database. The recipes I like the most I print to PDF and store them in a folder on my Windows Desktop for easy access. Those recipes that I have that my wife uses are printed to 4X6 cards that she files in her old fashion recipe box.

I'm all for technology. I a little on the techie side but I can get to the recipes faster in my wife's recipe box quicker than the computer files. (Once I figured out her filing system).

I like a combination of new school (computer) and old school. It seems to work for us. You can check our NYC for free at Now Your Cooking. (http://www.ffts.com/)

N8man
01-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Redundancy....I have small pocketsize spiral notebooks, 8x10 looseleaf binders and I use Microsoft Word.

Jorge
01-06-2008, 11:19 AM
http://www.valusoftsupport.com/Results.asp?search=full&show=titles&results=20&submit=prod&pid=400

Smokin Gator
01-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I have a ton of cookbooks and use them frequently. I also have a binder full of a mixture of loose stuff and printed pages in clear jackets. I also started a database at one point... but it is too much of a pain to keep it updated. In the past couple of years I have just been saving stuff in a recipe folder on my Mac. I have it broken down into the usual categories. I have it backed up on .Mac and on an external hard drive. One of the advantages of the .Mac backup is I can access it from any computer that is connected to the internet if I need to.

Works for me...

MountainMan
01-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I have about 100 cookbooks which change over time. I’ve copied all the recipes that my family likes so that as the cookbooks change I still have the recipe.

I use the PC to store and print my recipes. This way I can format them in a consistent manor which is like those used in Gisslen’s Professional Cooking. I also include a few comments and where the original recipe was from.

Once I print the recipe it is placed in a plastic cover and inserted in my master notebook which has an index.

I’ve looked at software but never found a recipe format I’ve liked.

CajunSmoker
01-06-2008, 01:01 PM
I created a folder called "My Recipes" and either type out my recipes on WordPad and save them in My Recipes or I cut and paste recipes I like to WordPad and save them to My Recipes. If I want to cook something I just print a copy out. Not exactly high tech but it works for me.:grin:

Kevin
01-06-2008, 01:26 PM
I created a folder called "My Recipes" and either type out my recipes on WordPad and save them in My Recipes or I cut and paste recipes I like to WordPad and save them to My Recipes. If I want to cook something I just print a copy out. Not exactly high tech but it works for me.:grin:

That's exactly what I do. I lose some sometimes because I forgot which folder I put it in. Then when I'm looking for it I find something else that looks good and I forgot what I was looking for in the first place. ADHD at it's finest.

Greendriver
01-06-2008, 01:49 PM
I use The Living Cookbook and highly recommend it but you need to know up front it's only good for X # of installs and you can't re-install it anymore. I run an office with 4 workstations and whenever I'm updating they always get rotated and my desk gets the new one so I ran out of installs pretty quick and to get it on my new one I have to purchase it again (about 35 bucks). It's well worth the price though as it is a slick program with auto complete and all kinds of chit and also at the end of the day if you ever want to publish your recipe file it's in a format that will work for that as well.

CajunSmoker
01-06-2008, 02:30 PM
That's exactly what I do. I lose some sometimes because I forgot which folder I put it in. Then when I'm looking for it I find something else that looks good and I forgot what I was looking for in the first place. ADHD at it's finest.

Great minds work alike:biggrin:

SmokeWatcher
01-06-2008, 02:32 PM
I got all mine on my PC, but the wife has clippings all over the place.

gotwood
01-06-2008, 02:57 PM
I got all mine on my PC, but the wife has clippings all over the place.

Sierra software has a whole line of software, most of which are found in bargain bin in bestbuy etc.

they come with recipes but let you input new ones, I'm sure one of em will fit the bill
http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000B7TBNE/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 (http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000B7TBNE/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1)
http://www.cookbookpeople.com/cookbook_software.htm

Bigdog
01-06-2008, 06:49 PM
I stopped saving them on my laptop after my daughter's loser boyfriend stole it and sold it for drugs.:mad:

kew_el_steve
01-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Have a folder on my PC called Recipes.

Each recipe is a word document.

Each title is listed in an Excel spreadsheet called Guide under beef, chicken, sides, etc.

If you have MS office on your PC this is pretty simple and doesn't cost anything.

Sylvie
01-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Most of my recipes are in binders indexed for ease of retrieval. i also save a lot of recipes on my pc and the third site is an online free program called http://del.icio.us where you can save recipes from online sites.

SBBW
01-06-2008, 09:28 PM
I use the computer and use two folders for my stuff. One is titled "Recipes to try" and the other is titled "Recipes for use". ONce I try and the family likes it, I just cut and past to the for use folder.

bigabyte
01-06-2008, 10:48 PM
I use MS Excel. I started making my own software because I'm a geek like that, but then realized I could spend that time actually cooking food.

chinesebob
01-06-2008, 11:47 PM
One of the challenges I run into is scaling up. It would seem you just multiply the recipe but it doesn't always work out that way it seems. For example, and this might seem strange, if my normal recipe would do 2 butts but I have to smoke 25 of them... Take 2TBS and multiply it by 25 then divide by the cup, then figure out the ounce, then go buy it.....

kickassbbq
01-07-2008, 08:14 AM
I put mine on www.kickassbbq.com (http://www.kickassbbq.com)
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!

Jorge
01-07-2008, 09:41 AM
One of the challenges I run into is scaling up. It would seem you just multiply the recipe but it doesn't always work out that way it seems. For example, and this might seem strange, if my normal recipe would do 2 butts but I have to smoke 25 of them... Take 2TBS and multiply it by 25 then divide by the cup, then figure out the ounce, then go buy it.....

The software I use scales, and as far as I can tell so far, accurately and easily. You just have to give it the # of servings when you enter the recipe. It will also print your shopping list. I'm pretty happy with it. I just need to spend some more time getting stuff entered.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-07-2008, 10:57 AM

My plan as well.

I have a folder under "cooking" which has a lot of other folders. Use your imagination here.... cooking/recipes.

Under recipes I have categories for beef, pork, venison, desserts, rubs, sauce, etc.

Then I also use a word processor to add, edit as needed. If I modify a recipe, I keep the original, and add the modified one to the top of the original. That way I can see what I modified, and how I did it.

I only print out the ones I need, and if they get "lost" or messed up, just print out another. I keep a copy of the files on my desktop, laptop, as well as my external hard drive (backup) and a flash drive. Always handy....

I have used several recipe programs, but haven't really found one that I like that much. So far, my "method" seems to work for me quite well.

Bill

Cabntmkr1
01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
I use Mastercook v9.0 by Sierra software company.
I really like it.
I also have reams of paper recipes:oops: too...
It's so easy with MC v9.0 because when I find a recipe on the 'net I like, I can copy and paste it into a really easy import function that puts everything from the recipe where it goes.
For example, I paste a whole recipe into the import portal and hit a button to have MC split the recipes up into it's various components like the ingredients, serving sizes, directions, etc. and then all I have to do is hit the "save" button. Easy-Peasy.

Divemaster
01-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I've been building a cookbook for my daughter of all of the family recipies on 4x6 cards, but would love a better way of tracking them.

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ
01-09-2008, 09:37 AM
The tried 'n true and family recipes go on 4x6 cards in a Shaw Walker on the counter.

The recipes I collect get copied into AZZ Cardfile. I've been exporting chapters to Word for an 8 1/2x11 binder cookbook for myself (two column pages, front & back, blah blah)...but it's fairly tedious and time consuming so far.

I did get MC 9.0 for the Misses, but it didn't catch on...:sad: Might have to take another look at it...

Cabntmkr1
01-09-2008, 11:30 AM
The tried 'n true and family recipes go on 4x6 cards in a Shaw Walker on the counter.

The recipes I collect get copied into AZZ Cardfile. I've been exporting chapters to Word for an 8 1/2x11 binder cookbook for myself (two column pages, front & back, blah blah)...but it's fairly tedious and time consuming so far.

I did get MC 9.0 for the Misses, but it didn't catch on...:sad: Might have to take another look at it...
You should... it has a very nice "help" function, and I believe there's even some tutorials on mine...?

chinesebob
01-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Well, I found a developer who is going to help me in exchange for some food (he's a poor open source consultant) and we're going to work on the plugin a little to see if I can store them on wordpress. I'll keep you all posted as we make some progress.

Ron_L
01-11-2008, 07:49 AM
As much of a geek as i am, you would think that I would use PC software, but I haven't found one that I like. I use recipes from the web and bookmark the page. If I find one on a forum that I really like I will create a Word doc for it. For everything else there is paper :rolleyes:. We have several expandable folders that have tabs for "Appetizers" "Desserts" etc. and my wife keeps them organized.

Ashmont
01-11-2008, 10:29 AM
If you go to www.microftsoft.com (http://www.microftsoft.com) and type template gallery in the search engine on their website it should be the first linky. They have thousands of template including a recipe database for free. Only catch is you have to have their product in this case Access 2000 to run the database. Easy Peasy Freezy too....

chinesebob
01-11-2008, 02:43 PM
If you go to www.microftsoft.com (http://www.microftsoft.com) and type template gallery in the search engine on their website it should be the first linky. They have thousands of template including a recipe database for free. Only catch is you have to have their product in this case Access 2000 to run the database. Easy Peasy Freezy too....

Yeah - I like their template. without going into detail - I was building mine so you could just suck the file into the db and name it, or put it in by hand, or copy and paste it into a form and then it would show you what you have and you could correct it. At least this way you could show off your recipes...

Again I don't do this for a living anymore so I'm rough around the edges and I got a guy who will do it for me after I have the design done. We'll see. The more I think about it, the more I would like. Kinda like going to the butcher for some bacon and coming home with a box of butts.....

The Pickled Pig
01-11-2008, 04:13 PM

Black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, curry powder, chili powder, allspice and cloves can usually be increased proportionally, (double the recipe, double the spice or blend of spices).

Herbs are best increased by this simple formula. For the first 100% increase in the number of portions, the herbs can also be doubled. After that, for each multiple of the original recipe, add only half the original amount.

Remember red hot pepper builds up in recipes. For the first doubling of the recipe, the red pepper can still be doubled. But after that, use only 1/4 the original amount of pepper for each multiple of the original recipe.