PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you just cant help a genius.

smooookin
01-05-2008, 09:03 PM
A casual acquaintance has a big ’ol Oklahoma Joe smoker that is now what would be the Horizon Ranger smoker. He has a terrible time maintaining temps, says they are all over the place. So I stop by to take a look and see if I can help him out.

Good grief, the opening between the firebox and the horizontal chamber is huge as well as the opening between the horizontal and the vertical chambers. I start talking about baffles and tuning plates . He looks at me like I have lost my mind. When I explained that he could have as much as a 70 degree temp difference from where the thermometer is mounted and the cooking grate he smirked and brushed that off too. I left him with his big @ss three foot water trough laying in the bottom of the smoker and hanging out over the fire just thinking what a waste of good equipment.

What I would give to load that sucker up, bring it home, do some fine tuning and let him have a heaping helping of good Q to go along with his foot.

I guess I will have to wait until he is finally fed up and sells it to me.

jestridge
01-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I know where you coming fromm been there done that.

BBQ Grail
01-05-2008, 09:07 PM
It's hard to deal with people who have a "don't confuse me with the facts, my mines made up" attitude.

I too would wait until he can't stand anymore and get the pit for a good price.

Azinine
01-05-2008, 09:09 PM
What can ya do?

I wouldn't be surprised if, after a few more futile attempts, he starts doing research on baffles and tuning plates. It will be HIS idea, though.

smooookin
01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
It was a sad sight to see. You could tell it hadnt been used in a long time. From the looks of it I dont think he even seasoned it.

JohnMcD348
01-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Well, maybe he'll get tired of trying to use it and you can get it in a good trade for say a Brinkman ECB:twisted:

Spydermike72
01-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Keep an eye on him, you may be able to pick that baby up cheap after he gets tired of it!!

jestridge
01-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Was that guy name Harry?