PDA

View Full Version : Can't find any butts , Need some Long Island brethren help

deez20
01-05-2008, 01:17 AM
I can't seem to find butts anymore at my usual locations. I used to go to pathmark in holbrook to get them but now all they have is picnics. Went to bj's in islandia and picnics there as well. I've been to the patchogue costco and sams in medford and have never found anything at either one. I've gotten some from the butcher close to me but it usually costs more than double the price. Anybody know of any places I can get som butts from?

I do have an old restaurant depot card from when I worked at a catering company. The card I have though doesn'tlook the same as the current ones so I don't want to look like an idiot if for some reason it didn't work.

MAsQue
01-05-2008, 04:52 AM
I was buying butts at the "Compare" market on Portion Road (north side) just east of Nichols Rd in Farmingville, although I switched over to a meat purveyor a few months ago and can't say for sure that the store still carries them.

Sledneck
01-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Go in to RD and ask for one day guest pass. You can do it many times. Before i got my card thats what i did. You have to pay cash. They ask you to fill in your name address etc. They never log it.

WannaBeBBQueen
01-05-2008, 06:47 AM
RD in Melville had a whole bunch last weekend, we went to Garden City first, nadda, zip, zero, not even baby backs it was sad.

Zipped over to Melville they had everything we needed:biggrin:

Sledneck
01-05-2008, 06:53 AM
RD in Melville had a whole bunch last weekend, we went to Garden City first, nadda, zip, zero, not even baby backs it was sad.

Zipped over to Melville they had everything we needed:biggrin:IThats strange i usually have much better luck at GC than melville

Sledneck
01-05-2008, 07:06 AM

Zipped over to Melville they had everything we needed:biggrin:
Wait a minute! You cooking something? Thanks for calling!:twisted: I thought i smelled something

rookiedad
01-05-2008, 08:11 AM
if you go to costco on sunrise you gotta ask the butcher for a two pack of the meat they cut into country ribs before they slice it. they are gigantic boneless butts in cryovac but they don't put them out that way. they will sell them to you like that if you ask though.

phil

Bob S
01-05-2008, 08:38 AM
The Bohemia Restaurant Depot is closest to you and had plenty of butts last weekend. They also always have the 20 lb. bags of Royal Oak lump for $8 and change if you are a lump user. As Sled said, it is no problem to get a guest pass. You just need to know the name of a company with an account and ask for a pass at the membership desk. When I opened my account they explained that they only give out 3 cards now and all of my other employees should just use guest passes.

Sledneck
01-05-2008, 10:38 AM
The Bohemia Restaurant Depot is closest to you and had plenty of butts last weekend. They also always have the 20 lb. bags of Royal Oak lump for $8 and change if you are a lump user. As Sled said, it is no problem to get a guest pass. You just need to know the name of a company with an account and ask for a pass at the membership desk. When I opened my account they explained that they only give out 3 cards now and all of my other employees should just use guest passes.I never gave a name, always made one up

DaChief
01-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I can't seem to find butts anymore at my usual locations. I used to go to pathmark in holbrook to get them but now all they have is picnics. Went to bj's in islandia and picnics there as well. I've been to the patchogue costco and sams in medford and have never found anything at either one. I've gotten some from the butcher close to me but it usually costs more than double the price. Anybody know of any places I can get som butts from?

I do have an old restaurant depot card from when I worked at a catering company. The card I have though doesn'tlook the same as the current ones so I don't want to look like an idiot if for some reason it didn't work.

I can't believe that...everytime I have been to Long Island, I have found many butts there...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: kidding mod

deez20
01-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Well thanks for the replies, I managed to find a nice 12 pound butt today. I tried the compare food MAsQue suggested but they only had picnics there. So I decided I would just try the RD card I had from my old job and it worked fine. I guess I will just continue to use the RD card.

gman
01-05-2008, 07:16 PM
If you are going to be in the Huntington area give the King Kullen in Halesite a call. I saw a bunch in the meat case last weekend.

rbsnwngs
01-05-2008, 07:53 PM
if the card stops working I go to the depot eveyday and would pick up some for you. alsoi always have them at the store just call

Yakfishingfool
01-05-2008, 08:24 PM
(sigh)....Willy can I come and visit.....

rbsnwngs
01-05-2008, 08:30 PM
(sigh)....Willy can I come and visit.....

i'll be in the parking lot for the Giants game tomorrow

pigmaker23
01-05-2008, 09:25 PM
what are we having ? any Chili Left ???

schoonch
01-05-2008, 11:09 PM
The last time I went to Sams in Medford, they were out. It took a while to get the attention of one of the "butchers" in the back, but when I did, I asked him to check for me. Sure 'nuff, he found some that were not put out in the cases yet. If you don't see it out, ask and you may be rewarded.

SmokeInDaEye
01-05-2008, 11:20 PM
IThats strange i usually have much better luck at GC than melville

I agree.

deez20
01-05-2008, 11:23 PM
if the card stops working I go to the depot eveyday and would pick up some for you. alsoi always have them at the store just call

Thanks for the offer..This is what I like about this board, everybody is willing to help each other out.

If you don't see it out, ask and you may be rewarded.

I will try at sam's next time...Last time I asked at costco they kept pointing me to the ribs.:sad:

Porky
01-07-2008, 02:23 PM
IThats strange i usually have much better luck at GC than melville

Timing, timing, timing. I been getting butts bone in at BJ's in Freeport. I would think that if you speak with the manger of the department you could get a better handle on when they get bone in butts. Try it, what have you got to lose.

Westexbbq
01-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Another bullet for your bandolier could be Majestic Meats in Patchogue.
They are wholesale to the trade but will accomadate us local BBQ'ers as well.
I usually get packs of 2 butts per cryovac, bone in or out, total weight around 16lbs or so.
Spares come 2 per pack around 5-6lbs or so total and Backs are 3 per pack, usually 5-6lbs total.
Packer cut briskets in cyro anywhere from 12 to 18lbs and up if you wish.
PM me if you want a contact name and number.