PDA

View Full Version : Help me Learn my SW

Keller Steeler
01-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Seasoning right now on her first burn.

I lit 2 Weber chimney's (3/4 full each) with Origional Charcoal. I know I have read some start off with 2 full chimney's - just wanted to make sure I didn't over shoot temp on the seasoning run.

Ran full open to about 180 - I am using a maverick inside. Choked the intake to almost closed and the stacks to 1 turn open. Settled in around temp stabilized around 205 for around 30 minutes. I figured I choked down too much so I opened the stack to 1/2 and the intakes to 1/4 and it reached 215. About a 2 1/2 to 3 hour process. Some of my charcoal went out so, my 1st question

How much do you spread your charcoal out when not using a basket?
(I have a wsm and will probably try the minion method with the ring for a longer cook and will consider a basket, but right now trying to figure things out on the first run)

Also, how much do you fill the water pan?

I am running about 275 right now and have been there for about 20 minutes after adding a full lit full chimney and running wide open. About to check again.

Any other pointers or hints anyone has would be appreciated.

MilitantSquatter
01-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Keller - I would say this (based on my experience with a Medium, not Large)....

Two chimneys to start MAY NOT be enough.. it may but I know that's what I need on a medium so I'd assume a large may need another load. Some may get by on two and take a long time, but I'd much rather get it up to temp a bit quicker and if necessary remove a scoop of lit if after you decide to damper down that the temps are too high. Still not a problem as the chamber temp will drop once you open the door and add the cold meats which will absorb much of the excess thermal energy.

When not using a ring/basket, I would suggest spreading around the perimeter if you are using water after it is up to temp and water is hot.

Also, not sure but a WSM ring may be too small for a large SW. May need to get a larger homemade ring or a welded basket to fit the charcoal rack.

burnin butts
01-04-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a large Spicewine, to start I use two full chimneys. I fill the waterpan with in 3 inches from the top( about 6 gallons). It takes about 20 - 30 minutes to get up to 225. Be sure to put your coals directly under the water pan to begin with. When it's time to add coals I put them on each side of the water pan after that. On my cooker I open the bottom combustion air intake vents fully and the top gate valves wide open until it reaches desired temp. You can then damper them down to keep a sustaining temp. On mine I can open the bottom to about 3/4" on both and open the top 3 turns and it will hold a 225 degree temp for about 4-5 hours. I hope this helps.

chinesebob
01-04-2008, 11:46 PM
You're going to find a lot of different opinions on this. I'm not going to offer mine but I will say this, the more meat, the longer it will take and the more it will take to get and stay at temp.

On average paid cooks i did 40 - 50 lbs and it would hold fine at half open on intake and top. I got one of those mirrors to look at the vent's opening, but turns sounds good as well.

I only used charcoal to start and chunked wood to burn the rest of the time. I have heard differences from everyone. I would say I won't use anything bigger than 4 inches long in the future. I've heard, Guido, Guy, and Jay follow different methods.

The stoker/guru idea I know has produced really long smoke times. Enjoy the spicewine. what are you going to name her?

Keller Steeler
01-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

The stoker/guru idea I know has produced really long smoke times. Enjoy the spicewine. what are you going to name her?

Not sure what I am going to name yet. I will have to get through a few cooks before I decide.

Dr_KY
01-05-2008, 08:27 AM
P i c t u r e s.

That way we can walk through it with you and learn something. Sorry i'm a hands on/visual sorta guy. lol

Slamdunkpro
01-05-2008, 08:32 AM
I mostly use my segregated basket, but I only start with one chimney. I preheat the cooker with a weed burner, then let the guru bring it up to temp. I have the draft intakes sealed when I run it on the blower and the exhaust open 2 turns.
I mostly run mine with a dry water pan.

Yakfishingfool
01-05-2008, 08:39 AM
You're going to find a lot of different opinions on this. I'm not going to offer mine but I will say this, the more meat, the longer it will take and the more it will take to get and stay at temp.

On average paid cooks i did 40 - 50 lbs and it would hold fine at half open on intake and top. I got one of those mirrors to look at the vent's opening, but turns sounds good as well.

I only used charcoal to start and chunked wood to burn the rest of the time. I have heard differences from everyone. I would say I won't use anything bigger than 4 inches long in the future. I've heard, Guido, Guy, and Jay follow different methods.

Amen, when I did the last smoke with the unit loaded, almost had trouble getting up to temp, let alone going to high. Scott

jestridge
01-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Do you have to use water in a sw? I know a water pan makes it a lot harder to get heat up.

Keller Steeler
01-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Can I do a high temp cook with the water pan at around 325?

Do you push your shelves and charcoal grate all the the way back? Last night I did not - thought was to let the air in the back come up.

About to brine some chicken - pics will follow.

chinesebob
01-05-2008, 11:06 AM
You can - are you trying to rush a cook?

I always pushed mine all the way back.

I used water half and half in mine. Especially if I've got a lot of meat going on. I found that it really gave the meat more moisture and a better texture. Especially for chicken which can dry out fast.

Keller Steeler
01-05-2008, 11:12 AM
You can - are you trying to rush a cook?

I always pushed mine all the way back.

I used water half and half in mine. Especially if I've got a lot of meat going on. I found that it really gave the meat more moisture and a better texture. Especially for chicken which can dry out fast.

Not trying to rush anything, just cooking some chicken today, but I do do some high speed cooks. Took Myron Mixon's class a couple of years ago.

Mo-Dave
01-05-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't use a chimney to start. I have a basket for my lg sw and all I do is wad about 3 sheets of newspaper under one end of the basket under the charcoal shelf, drizzle a little cooking oil on the paper, load my charcoal and wood chunks, light it, push it in, shut the door open all vents. I haven't been using water as of late, takes about 30 to 40 minutes to get up to speed. I do about the same thing when starting up my weber kettle. I really like not having to deal with the chimney and ash blowing around, chancing hot coals bouncing around ect. Never had to relight.

With a basket this works great for me but I don't know how it would work on just laying coals out. Maybe it you bunched some up in a corner with the paper under that, then spread it out a little after its going.

Dave http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/Mo-Dave/Tree262.jpg

G$
01-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Seasoning right now on her first burn.

I lit 2 Weber chimney's (3/4 full each) with Origional Charcoal. I know I have read some start off with 2 full chimney's - just wanted to make sure I didn't over shoot temp on the seasoning run.

Ran full open to about 180 - I am using a maverick inside. Choked the intake to almost closed and the stacks to 1 turn open. Settled in around temp stabilized around 205 for around 30 minutes. I figured I choked down too much so I opened the stack to 1/2 and the intakes to 1/4 and it reached 215. About a 2 1/2 to 3 hour process. Some of my charcoal went out so, my 1st question

How much do you spread your charcoal out when not using a basket?
(I have a wsm and will probably try the minion method with the ring for a longer cook and will consider a basket, but right now trying to figure things out on the first run)

Also, how much do you fill the water pan?

I am running about 275 right now and have been there for about 20 minutes after adding a full lit full chimney and running wide open. About to check again.

Any other pointers or hints anyone has would be appreciated.

I use two of the SMALL cheapie (probably about 2/3rds to 3/4ths of a full weber chimney) , mostly loaded chimneys to get my medium up to temp, before dumping those lit coals in to my unlit charcoal basket. I am ALWAYS shooting for 220 though, so your Mileage may vary. I use chunk interspersed with coal in the basket. It seems I get 6-9 hours on one load like this and I may be able to extend that with a fuller load.

The only time I have run hot was after i was done cooking, and at theend of one competition cook (inadvertantly). Once these things get hot, I am not sure there is a feasible way to bring them down - just my opinion, but the last thing I want is a SW running too hot if I am wanting to cook colder any time soon. As you know, they are insulated like nothing else I have ever seen anywhere.

I have always run with the water pan mostly full, and have not needed to add water to it. In the future I am strongly considering running dry.

I run the stack, once I am at temp, about 2 turns open.

I slide the racks to the back all the way. In my cooker, the back seems warmer than the front, I presume because of the location of the exhaust and the less insulated front doors.

I am relatively new to the SW, but like you love to hear how others are getting along with them.

chinesebob
01-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Under normal circumstances I think that closing down all of the air will bring them down really fast.

D.F. Expat
01-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Not sure what I am going to name yet. I will have to get through a few cooks before I decide.

How about naming her "Kathleen" After Art Rooneys wife? I think that would be fitting for the other woman of a fellow Steelers fan!

G$
01-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Under normal circumstances I think that closing down all of the air will bring them down really fast.

Probably, but I am not willing to do that while cooking food, for a couple reasons.

Mo-Dave
01-05-2008, 05:46 PM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/Mo-Dave/Tree262.jpg

MilitantSquatter
01-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Do you have to use water in a sw? I know a water pan makes it a lot harder to get heat up.

Jay did not design the Spicewine to be used without water, but several of us have done so either as a one time test or routinely and been very pleased with the results..

Adjustments do need to be made to charocal loads, and protection of the empty water pan.

gotwood
01-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Jay did not design the Spicewine to be used without water, but several of us have done so either as a one time test or routinely and been very pleased with the results..

Adjustments do need to be made to charocal loads, and protection of the empty water pan.

What type of adjustments/protections??
I've cooked about half a dozen times on mine. I just ordered the latest guru model.
Benefits of No water cooks?? besides lower fuel use??

will using water pan make recovery quicker after opening door?
will it make it easier for the guru to keep temp steady?
any other substance for substitute for water??

Keller Steeler
01-05-2008, 07:09 PM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/Mo-Dave/Tree262.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Wannebebbqueen (sp) is sending me the dimensions of hers and I am going to have one made. Is there anything you would add or change to yours?

Mo-Dave
01-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the pic. Wannebebbqueen (sp) is sending me the dimensions of hers and I am going to have one made. Is there anything you would add or change to yours?

I don't know were you saw a pic, I was trying to put one on but it did not look like it was working so I deleted it, you must have seen it in between attempts. Only thing I would do different is take more time in making it so it looked a little better, other then that it is very functional.
Dave

Keller Steeler
01-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't know were you saw a pic, I was trying to put one on but it did not look like it was working so I deleted it, you must have seen it in between attempts. Only thing I would do different is take more time in making it so it looked a little better, other then that it is very functional.
Dave

I am still seeing it on your original quote and my reply.

Sawdustguy
01-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Have a look at this thread. There is a good picture of the basket we fabricated for the large Spicewine. We bought a custom Spicewine so we sold our large Spicewine to Julie. Thats why we asked you to contact Julie for the dimensions for our basket. We welded up our basket but you can make yours with nuts and bolts if you want to do it yourself. All the materials are available at Home Depot including the expanded metal. All you need is a drill, bits and a couple wrenches. The Spicewine is a very easy cooker to learn and master. We don't use water. We controlled the temp using a Guru or simply regulating draft. With our basket we were able to get better than 24 hour burns with a bag and a half of regular charcoal after some experimemtation. We never use lump because it burns too hot. After all the charcoal is just a source for heat. You flavor your meat with small wood chuncks.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30682

gotwood
01-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Have a look at this thread. There is a good picture of the basket we fabricated for the large Spicewine. We bought a custom Spicewine so we sold our large Spicewine to Julie. Thats why we asked you to contact Julie for the dimensions for our basket. We welded up our basket but you can make yours with nuts and bolts if you want to do it yourself. All the materials are available at Home Depot including the expanded metal. All you need is a drill, bits and a couple wrenches. The Spicewine is a very easy cooker to learn and master. We don't use water. We controlled the temp using a Guru or simply regulating draft. With our basket we were able to get better than 24 hour burns with a bag and a half of regular charcoal after some experimemtation. We never use lump because it burns too hot. After all the charcoal is just a source for heat. You flavor your meat with small wood chuncks.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30682

if you have a guru wouldnt lump be fine?? it would just have to be drafted less??

Sawdustguy
01-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Sure, but the lump burns much faster than regular charcoal. If the goal is longer burn time why would you want to use something that burns faster?

Keller Steeler
01-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Sure, but the lump burns much faster than regular charcoal. If the goal is longer burn time why would you want to use something that burns faster?

It depends on the Lump - somehting like Wicked Good or Ozark Oak burns forever. It only burns hotter if you let.

Haven't used lump on my SW, but with my Stumps and WSM I would get much longer burns using lump.

ThomEmery
01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Great thread Guys

gotwood
01-06-2008, 03:00 PM
If it burns hotter, woulndt that mean It can burn slower??

what i mean is if under same conditions(amount of Oxygen) briquettes and lump, lump burns hotter faster
wouldnt that mean that you can get same energy output from lump by reducing the oxygen, thus reducing burn rate of it

ThomEmery
01-06-2008, 04:38 PM
No Brother