PDA

View Full Version : question for the bacon heads.

smooookin
01-04-2008, 07:46 PM
I know it says to turn it at the halfway point (5 days) but am I right in thinking that ya'll are turning it more often.

also, when you do slice it would it be easier to do if it was right on the edge of frozen.

The wait to try this stuff is killin me!!

BBQ Grail
01-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I turned mine one time at five days. It came out great!

Jack2u2
01-04-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering. I have mine in the fridge for 3 days now, and have to wait until next Friday to smoke it. Every time I open the fridge, I'm tempted to take it out and throw it on smoker. Seven more days, and I can't wait!

JD McGee
01-04-2008, 07:50 PM
If you are talkin' about Buckboard Bacon...I turned mine once after 7 days then smoked it on the 14th day. Turned out great. :-P

smooookin
01-04-2008, 07:51 PM
your one day ahead of me. I thought about flipping it every time I got a beer but then figure it might as well be on a rotisserie.

SmokeInDaEye
01-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Partial freezing definitely helps when slicing. I wrap mine in saran wrap and freeze for 40 minutes or so.

smooookin
01-04-2008, 07:54 PM
hmmm maybe I will freeze it solid and use my table saw.:biggrin:

Meat Burner
01-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I just put in the frig overnight after smokin it and use the slicer. Works great. If you are good with a knife, a little while in the freeze sounds reasonable to slice it thin. Just my $.02.

thirdeye
01-04-2008, 09:59 PM
I know it says to turn it at the halfway point (5 days) but am I right in thinking that ya'll are turning it more often.

also, when you do slice it would it be easier to do if it was right on the edge of frozen.

The wait to try this stuff is killin me!!

I turn more often than recommended, every two days, and also take a minute or so to make sure that the liquid in the bag is distributed evenly. I do a longer soak out than is recommended too. I also rest longer (refrigerated) than the 1 hour at room temperature mentioned in the Hi Mountain instructions.

Overhauling (turning), soaking, and equalization (resting) are standard steps in most curing techniques. The times for each are something that can be adjusted according to your personal preference.

CajunSmoker
01-05-2008, 07:04 AM
On buckboard bacon I follow their instructions.

When I mix my own I turn more often. Like thirdeye said about every 2 days and make sure the liquids are well distributed.

On butts I just chill overnight before slicing, but on bellies I partially freeze it for easier slicing and skin removal.

I've got 2 bellies ready to smoke today:cool: unfortunately I have to work about a half day so I will get a late start:mad:

Divemaster
01-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Just wondering if you forgot the BBB in the back of the fridge or if it ever made it onto a smoker????

smooookin
01-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Just wondering if you forgot the BBB in the back of the fridge or if it ever made it onto a smoker????

Nope, I have a couple more days. I have to go to Springfield tonight and will be back Sunday, I think that is when she will come out.

Today, I am building the biggest damn UDS period! (sports show mod).

Taking lots of pics as I go. Gotta stop and throw some spares on in a few minutes for a B-day party tonight.

motor mouth
01-11-2008, 12:56 PM
hmmm maybe I will freeze it solid and use my table saw.:biggrin:Downside - the width of the blade makes lots of dust. Upside - Bacon dust. Easy choice, go for it!

DaChief
01-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Downside - the width of the blade makes lots of dust. Upside - Bacon dust. Easy choice, go for it!

But at least take lots of pics of that process!