PDA

View Full Version : Kids & BBQ

TOPS BBQ
01-04-2008, 10:03 AM
My daughter (Emiko) just turned four, but for more than a year now, I have allowed her to mix rub ingredients and sprinkle it on meat. She has pulled pork (with gloves) and just sits back to watch me slice or cook. She is always asking when we’re going to BBQ next.

I was wondering how early do you start your kids on BBQ fundamentals? Better yet, when do you start them working the grill/smoker or tending fire. I know fire and knife work is probably the last thing, but I was wondering if your kids have any interest in BBQ and how much are they involved?

Browser
01-04-2008, 10:24 AM
As soon as you feel it's safe for them to do so. As you say, knife work is best left until they're older but preparing meat, rubbing & mixing spices & marinades, the sooner the better ( then you ain't gotta do it, see!).

smooookin
01-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Last summer my Daughter (10) sat up almost all night helping me with a cook. This year at Thanksgiving I had 4 kids making their own fatties. You should have seen how they watched the plate to see who's was all gone first.

Right now I have a drum in the works for the 10, now 11 year old to start cookin on at her moms house. LOL I am sure she will teach her moms boyfriend a thing or two.

Divemaster
01-04-2008, 11:29 AM
When I got divorced, my ex had to ask my then 6 year-old daughter how to make grilled chicken... :mrgreen::eek::mrgreen::eek:

I started my daughter helping me make bread when she was 3 (she would roll the dough into balls for the dinner rolls), she then graduated to salads, cookies, the 'cold' work of smoked foods and then up to actually grilling and smoking (I think she was about 10).

I always kept her by my side and explained what I was doing. She started 'helping' me cut meats (watching while I explained about the grain of the meat and why I was cutting it a certain way) when she was 9 and I want to say that she started actually cutting it by the time she was 10 or 11 (with supervision).

It's all a matter of the comfort level both you and your child have at that moment. I think the important part is that you spend as much time as you can with them and that well build the trust you need to actually hand them the knife and say 'It's your turn'

Good Luck!!!

smooookin
01-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Of course on the other hand I have a 13 year old that makes me nervous when she uses anything other than a spoon. **just shakes head**

91vw03
01-04-2008, 11:45 AM
^^
I'm the same way with my wife and MIL. I've got a wood block full of dull box openers(knives). Won't even cut open the plastic wrap on hamburger ot chicken breast packages.

My 2 year old loves to sit on the counter and stir whatever I'm cooking and crack the eggs.

txschutte
01-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Mixing rubs and sauces is a great start. Wyatt will be 10 and he monitors the temps on the stick burner, sprays the juice, prepares ABT's, and has recently used the weed burner to start a chimney(with supervision, of course.)

HB-BBQ
01-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I do the same with my 3 year old daughter, she will be 4 in May. I let her put the rub on and I have her hand me the tongs when ever I am turning or pulling the meat. One of her favorite things to do is to squirt ribs down with the spray bottle, supervised by me of course. She knows to stay away from the heat of the fire/pit and will watch me slice everything up afterwards. The funniest thing is she really loves ribs and everytime we go to the butcher she asks him for babybacks. I get a chuckle and sense of pride everytime.

Yakfishingfool
01-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Everyones comfort levels are different. I had my boys out on our sailboats when tey were three months old. thought the inlaws were gonna stroke out. You'll sense when they are ready. Scott

smknwhlswife
01-04-2008, 02:25 PM
My daughter (Emiko) just turned four, but for more than a year now, I have allowed her to mix rub ingredients and sprinkle it on meat. She has pulled pork (with gloves) and just sits back to watch me slice or cook. She is always asking when we’re going to BBQ next.

I was wondering how early do you start your kids on BBQ fundamentals? Better yet, when do you start them working the grill/smoker or tending fire. I know fire and knife work is probably the last thing, but I was wondering if your kids have any interest in BBQ and how much are they involved?

My 2 girls have been helping in the kitchen since they were 2 years of age. At the age of 5, my older daughter, started competing in Kids' Ques. She makes her own rub, decides what she wants to spray on the meat (if anything), she knows how to turn and flip the meat and check the temperature. She makes her own boxes for turn-in. The only things we help her with are fire and knives. As she gets older (just turned 7), we watch/test her on what more she can do. She knows the danger, she is told quite often.....she burnt herself (not bad) last year because she touched the grill, she wasn't paying attention to what she was doing. She learned.
My youngest daughter just turned 5, so she will be able to compete this year. It will be interesting to see the differences between my girls' tastes.

Let your daughter do what you know she can do, then help her with things you know she might be able to do. You will be surprised how quickly she gets it and then you keep moving forward. Good luck, I know she will be a great cook!:mrgreen:

TOPS BBQ
01-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks everyone. I pretty much trust my daughter, because she is pretty good kid. But kids are kids and can get distracted pretty easily. She has actually picked up very good food handling skills. Knows not to touch raw meats with her bare hands. Needs wash and not touch face or other parts of the body when handling food...etc.

There are no Kid's Que events in CA, so it's hard to get her involved more or see other kids doing it, unless it's at home.

sajones97
01-04-2008, 04:44 PM
My little 3 year old Josiah loves to help stir stuff in the kitchen a crack eggs.

One day I walked in the door, and, I kid you not, he said to me:

"Dad, you wanna fire up some meat on the grill?"

It literally brought a tear to my eye!:biggrin:

jtfisher63
01-05-2008, 01:54 PM
There are no Kid's Que events in CA, so it's hard to get her involved more or see other kids doing it, unless it's at home.

Robert, this is something we can work together on for 08. Maybe we could get something together by the Clovis comp.

TOPS BBQ
01-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Maybe at the backyarder, because it looks like our kids are the only ones interested out here. I still might have to wait another year before Emiko REALLY gets into it.