PDA

View Full Version : Waygu Brisket Cooking help

NotleyQue
01-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Hello again Brothers.

I have a 13.5 pound Waygu Brisket that I will be cooking this Saturday/Sunday for a football party. I have read as much as I could find on this site about cooking Waygu, and was given some advice from a couple fellow brethern.

What should I be most on the lookout for vs a regular Brisket. I am extreamly confident smoking regular brisket, but was curious what others have found to be different in cooking this cut and style of beef.

What are the difference in cooking temps, time, what temp to pull. Should I inject it, baste it. Anything.

Once again I appreciate all the suggestions, this is an amazing group of people that have some of the best ideas around. I appreciate you guys helping me out

cmcadams
01-04-2008, 10:03 AM
You lucky bastidge!!!

The biggest difference is the final temp; start checking around 180 instead of higher. It will also likely cook faster. I wouldn't inject; there's a lot of intramuscular fat that will baste on it's own, and I wouldn't want to do too much to the Wagyu taste, anyway. Rub lighter than usual, too.

I anticipate, when I do them, about 2/3 the normal time.

Dustaway
01-04-2008, 11:07 AM
keep the pit temp below 190 at all times and I keep an eye on the brisket temp it will render out a lot quicker that a cab or prime try to hold it at160 as long as you can the brisket.

bigabyte
01-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Watch for the flat when purchasing, most of them are almost paper thin. Be prepared to have no stall at all when cooking and for it to be done in 5 or 6 hours. Also, be prepared to have no leftovers.

sajones97
01-04-2008, 03:20 PM
keep the pit temp below 190 at all times and I keep an eye on the brisket temp it will render out a lot quicker that a cab or prime try to hold it at160 as long as you can the brisket.

What's the point of holding at 160* as long as possible?

sajones97
01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Prequel question: what is a Waygu?

gpalasz
01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
What does a waygu brisket run? Id kill to have some ribeyes or anyking of steaks.

Jorge
01-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Domestic Wagyu, in short, is the result of breeding Japanese Kobe beef with domestic Angus cattle.

Jorge
01-04-2008, 03:57 PM
What does a waygu brisket run? Id kill to have some ribeyes or anyking of steaks.

Depends on your source, and shipping.

When I had a local source, I could get it via the butcher for $3.49/lb

gpalasz
01-04-2008, 03:58 PM
I was reading a link yest. stating all kobe is wayge but not all waygu can be kobe.

The Pickled Pig
01-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Domestic Wagyu, in short, is the result of breeding Japanese Kobe beef with domestic Angus cattle.

It was my understanding that Kobe is Wagyu cattle that are butchered in Japan. If it is being sold as Wagyu it means the butchering was done here. I wasn't aware of any breeding difference.

sajones97
01-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Dustaway,

Is this something you'd generalize to more tender cuts?

gpalasz
01-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Heres a link to the article i read http://www.lobels.com/store/main/wagyuMain_whatisnt.asp

sajones97
01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Dustaway,

Is this something you'd generalize to more tender cuts?

Or anyone, for that matter. . .

Jorge
01-04-2008, 04:08 PM
It was my understanding that Kobe is Wagyu cattle that are butchered in Japan. If it is being sold as Wagyu it means the butchering was done here. I wasn't aware of any breeding difference.

If you are buying Wagyu/Kobe and the price isn't out of site you are almost certainly buying a domestic product that is the result of breeding with imported breeding stock and domestic Angus (more likely than not) stock.

Muzzlebrake
01-04-2008, 04:37 PM
I just want to make sure I have this straight.....

Wagyu is a breed of cattle, Kobe is a type of beef from Wagyu cattle raised in a certain area, specifically the Hyogo Prefecture?

Dustaway
01-04-2008, 04:43 PM

that is the plateau if you can hold any brisket in that range you will end up with a really good and juice brisket. one of the good Dr. BBQ's tips

sajones97
01-04-2008, 04:48 PM
that is the plateau if you can hold any brisket in that range you will end up with a really good and juice brisket. one of the good Dr. BBQ's tips

Ahhhh, the plateau! I read about that and watched closely for it with my last brisket. The beast held at 147* for nearly an hour with a constant temp of 230*-240*, then it dropped 5* (I also read they sometimes do that), then got up to 180* quickly after.

Had a friend tell me that was the best brisket he'd ever had.:mrgreen:

Thanks for the clarification!

JD McGee
01-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I did my first Waygu not long ago...might be a few helpful tips in here...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462&highlight=waygu

Good Luck! :-P

NotleyQue
01-04-2008, 06:46 PM
correct. Kobe can only be Kobe if raised and slaughtered in Kobe Japan. Waygu is the breed of cattle. Just like all Champagne is sparkling wine, but not all sparkling wine is champagne. Only grapes grown in a particular region of France can be called Champagne.

I was reading a link yest. stating all kobe is wayge but not all waygu can be kobe.

The Pickled Pig
01-04-2008, 07:07 PM
correct. Kobe can only be Kobe if raised and slaughtered in Kobe Japan. Waygu is the breed of cattle. Just like all Champagne is sparkling wine, but not all sparkling wine is champagne. Only grapes grown in a particular region of France can be called Kobe.

Not to be picky but it doesn't have to be raised in Japan to get the official Japanese Kobe designation.

From... http://www.luciesfarm.com/artman/publish/article_37.php

"Most Kobe Beef today is bred and raised in California and Australia. For example, Harris Ranch in California is contracted with beef producers in Kobe to breed and raise their cattle in California, where land and grain is relatively inexpensive. The cattle is raised and fed under the exacting specifications for Kobe Beef. When the cattle is almost ready for slaughter, it is shipped to Kobe, Japan, where its feeding is completed, and the cattle is slaughtered."

NotleyQue
01-04-2008, 07:30 PM
wow thanks for that link. Very interesting read.

Not to be picky but it doesn't have to be raised in Japan to get the official Japanese Kobe designation.

From... http://www.luciesfarm.com/artman/publish/article_37.php

"Most Kobe Beef today is bred and raised in California and Australia. For example, Harris Ranch in California is contracted with beef producers in Kobe to breed and raise their cattle in California, where land and grain is relatively inexpensive. The cattle is raised and fed under the exacting specifications for Kobe Beef. When the cattle is almost ready for slaughter, it is shipped to Kobe, Japan, where its feeding is completed, and the cattle is slaughtered."

Brian in So Cal
01-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Only grapes grown in a particular region of France can be called Kobe.

Where can I get some Kobe grapes.:rolleyes::-D

Gary, good luck with the Waygu. I know how good your regular brisket is. I know this will be great.

Wish I could have made it down. Have fun.

NotleyQue
01-04-2008, 08:14 PM
ya you wish you could have made it. There will be another my friend.

Where can I get some Kobe grapes.:rolleyes::-D

Gary, good luck with the Waygu. I know how good your regular brisket is. I know this will be great.

Wish I could have made it down. Have fun.