PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 200 "sample size" servings

augie
01-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Hey Farkers,

This coming February will mark my 7th consecutive year in a local event called "Men Cooking From the Heart", which is the single biggest fundraiser for our local Big Brothers/Big Sisters chapter.

In the past I've made things such as a crab/rice creole casserole, and when I can't think of anything else I've fallen back on my old standby of jerked pork tenderloin, but I'd like to do something different this year, preferably something that will have me Q-ing the day of the event.

I'll have to make something ahead of time that I can either keep at serving temp for a few hours or I can use a crockpot or chafing dishes to warm at the event (will have access to power, but not to any cooking devices).

You are collectively one farking clever group - I'd love to hear some of your ideas...

Diva
01-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Pulled pork, ABT's, fatties, hot wings.......

cardiac_cadet002
01-03-2008, 02:39 PM
IMO fatties would be a good choice. After you smoke 'em wrap them in foil as you would a butt and cooler a bunch them together. I've had good luck with them staying hot hours after coolering.

SoEzzy
01-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Chili, Big Brothers & Sisters Beefy Baked Beans, Pulled jerk chicken, Split pea and smoked ham soup.

For the beefy baked beans, make yourself a load of burnt ends then chop them up and put them back into the baked beans to make a heavy on the beef, beany dish.

C Rocke
01-03-2008, 03:31 PM
When vending samples, I have always tried to make the sample look a little bigger. In the past, I have bought small baking potatoes - Think a little smaller than a baseball (Cheap). Usually get them at the produce mart (Or some 99 cent stores carry bags of them, and usually 10 to a bag). Spray them with some olive oil spray, a quick rub, and bake them in the smoker, usually about 2.5 hours, and then pull them out to a cambro to hold. Using paper serving boats, split the potato open in the tray and then top with pulled pork, BBQ, chicken, chili, we've even used rib tips. Always goes over well, and is EZ to serve and portion.

HB-BBQ
01-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Chris that sounds like a great way to do it, I already ate lunch and that made me hungry again.

rbinms33
01-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Something easy but including the smoker could be smoked Bologna/Meatballs put into a crockpot of BBQ sauce/jelly with toothpicks for serving. Maybe some smoked cheese and crackers on the side.

Another option but a bit more time consuming and costly would be stuffed mushrooms. Get you some nice sized caps about 2" in dia and stuff with a mixture of sausage, cheese and stovetop stuffing. They hold up really good in a chaffing dish.

Bigmista
01-03-2008, 06:07 PM
How about mini pulled pork sandwiches served on split dinner rolls instead of hamburger buns?

BBQ_MAFIA
01-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I'd go with Pulled Pork and or Beans.

augie
01-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all of the fine suggestions - sooner or later I'll likely get around to doing all of them.

For this year's MCFTH I think I'm going to go with the fatties.

Now I just have to experiment a bit...

Roo-B-Q'N
01-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I like Mista's idea of pulled pork.

The fatties sound like a great idea as well, make up a batch of Mista's red beans and rice and serve a fatty on top. That would be awesome. hmmmmmmm

bbqbull
01-04-2008, 12:15 PM
How about mini pulled pork sandwiches served on split dinner rolls instead of hamburger buns?

Love Neils idea here.

Divemaster
01-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for all of the fine suggestions - sooner or later I'll likely get around to doing all of them.

For this year's MCFTH I think I'm going to go with the fatties.

Now I just have to experiment a bit...
Around our house we've been doing not just plain but also stuffed fatties... Two of our favorites are Mozzarella/Red Bell Pepper/Jalapeño (peppers cut match stick size) and Pepper Jack cheese with sautéed onions and garlic.

We feel that the cheese adds a creaminess that we enjoy...

Good Luck!!!

Dr_KY
01-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Pulled pork idea.

chinesebob
01-04-2008, 03:31 PM
When we give out samples at events we skip the buns and do "Meat In A Cup!"

If you get a smaller cup it's a good sample size you can get a lot of servings out of it and the setup is pretty easy. If I can find some pictures at home tonight I'll send a picture of how we did it. The bigger cups require forks while with the smaller ones a toothpick works well.

Set out some sauce in ketchup bottles, a little rub for people to sprinkle on if they want, napkins.

Norcoredneck
01-04-2008, 07:46 PM
I have sent pulled pork with little sauce mixed in crock pot and Costco bag of rolls to Girl Scouts event. Was lucky to get crock back. Was a hit.

jpw23
01-04-2008, 07:50 PM
How about mini pulled pork sandwiches served on split dinner rolls instead of hamburger buns?That has my vote:biggrin:

Meat Burner
01-04-2008, 08:24 PM
BigMista's idea is good. I've done that a couple times for company events. Use a little finishing sauce in the chaffer and it keeps moist. Bags of small dinner rolls at Sam's or Wally World are cheap. Make the sammys fresh on the spot. BIG HIT !!!!!!!!!