PDA

View Full Version : Simple New Years Day Dinner

wlh3
01-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Happy New Years all. Some pron of our dinner. Turkey on the weber evoo Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Some Blackeyed peas with smoked Ham. Corn bread made in my new cast iron skillet. The corn bread was made by preheating the skillet in the oven with 2/3rds of a stick of butter then adding the mix this gave a nice crispy crust with a great butter taste.:icon_bigsmil

Puppyboy
01-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Man that looks great.

WineMaster
01-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Is that book Smoke & Spice a pretty good read?

Turkey looks great.

Dan

TexasGuppie
01-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Is that book Smoke & Spice a pretty good read?

Turkey looks great.

Dan

"Smoke and Spice", "Peace, Love and BBQ" and all of Dr. BBQ's books are great. They all have some great stuff in 'em.

wlh3
01-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Wine Master here is a thread with some comments on the book. I have only done one recipe so far.But it looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me:icon_bigsmil

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35266

Single Fin Smoker
01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
My fellow kettle user, makes me proud!

Black eyed pea look mmmmmmmmmmm good!

Question, what size was the bird, and do you put coals on both sides? I never have a clue as to what the temp is inside mine.

keale
01-04-2008, 02:59 PM
That Turkey looks great! Can you post the temps, and time?

Nice job.

Kentuckiana Gib
01-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Wlh3, The only difference between your corn bread and mine is that I cut mine in pie slices. I just love the way that melted butter kind of oozes up over the top when you put the batter in the skillet and that buttery crust just can't be beat. I was thinking today about some black eyed peas and ham with corn bread tomorrow and it will be a sure thing now. Got some smoked neck bones and ham thawing right now.

wlh3
01-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Single Fin use the basic weber instructions for the cook. the only thing I did different was add the extra coals @ 45 min intervals. Coals are on bothe sides. Wt. 12.4 lbs. :cool:

Keale took breast to 170* cook time was 3hr 10 min It was cold and windy outside. Next time breast to 165* it rose to 175* while resting.:biggrin:

KG first time i tried this it was great. next time will use your idea of pie shaped wedges for the corn bread. :icon_bigsmil