PDA

View Full Version : Need (well want) a new smoker

Que'inKC
01-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Hey all just need some friendly advice...I am in the market for a new smoker, but doing a little research...Let me know what you think?

Mostly I just do backyard stuff and family get togethers, nothing really too big, but I would like someday to do a few comps (if I ever get up the nerve). I currently have a Char-Griller Pro with a SFB (no mods yet) and I also have a Char-broil vert with SFB (love this guy)...I think I want something that doesn't require as much attention, maybe the kind I can go 4 or more hours without looking at...There are times when I don't mind it, but others when I need to get other things done or want sleep. Here is what I was thinking:

Backwoods Party or Spicewine Small

But then today I was looking at the Traeger models and really like this concept, especially since I can do more on it than just smoke...

So what do you think?

Plowboy
01-02-2008, 10:04 PM
What about a WSM?

txschutte
01-02-2008, 10:13 PM
A Spicewine would be my pick, but I don't care for pellet poopers. If I were a pellet guy, it would be something a bit larger than aTraeger.

Norcoredneck
01-02-2008, 10:21 PM
What's the budget?

smokeandbeer
01-02-2008, 10:40 PM
What about a WSM?

I am looking at new smokers also, and the WSM it at the top of my list. Hear about folks using and winning at comps with them, but perfect for my backyard as well. I figure if I ever need more cooking space for a comp or something, I can just go get another WSM.

Paulie G.
01-02-2008, 10:50 PM
I have three suggestions; Klose, Klose, Klose. Hey, It's my right to be a bit opinionated isn't it?

The Pickled Pig
01-02-2008, 11:09 PM
I am looking at new smokers also, and the WSM it at the top of my list. Hear about folks using and winning at comps with them, but perfect for my backyard as well. I figure if I ever need more cooking space for a comp or something, I can just go get another WSM.

The WSM is truly a great cooker (efficient, can handle 30+ lbs. of meat, and 18 hour unattended burn times) and 8 years later I still use it regularly, but somewhere along the way I got cooker envy and forgot about the "just buy another WSM" theory.

For contests, the WSMs are just not a lot of fun to transport. I tried handles and straps, and eventually evolved to a 55 gallon plastic bin on wheels but that consumed a lot of space.

And, with all of the mods we do to them one wonders why Weber is so slow to upgrade. For me, adding a temp gauge to the dome, re-enforcing the flimsy legs, and installing a deep water pan are musts. Nice handles on the lower rack, a lower temp gauge, and an indicator on the door handle were great additions too.

One word of caution on WSMs, don't use a pressure washer to clean them. That damned concave shape bites every time.:-D

Paulie G.
01-02-2008, 11:35 PM
is something like this in your budget?

ggriffi
01-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Like Norco said, budget is the key here. I looked at almost every pit out there before I decided on mine. here is a link to a thread that has a lot of links to the different ones.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25197&highlight=list+pits

Good luck on your search :-D

chinesebob
01-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Hey all just need some friendly advice...I am in the market for a new smoker, but doing a little research...Let me know what you think?

Mostly I just do backyard stuff and family get togethers, nothing really too big, but I would like someday to do a few comps (if I ever get up the nerve). I currently have a Char-Griller Pro with a SFB (no mods yet) and I also have a Char-broil vert with SFB (love this guy)...I think I want something that doesn't require as much attention, maybe the kind I can go 4 or more hours without looking at...There are times when I don't mind it, but others when I need to get other things done or want sleep. Here is what I was thinking:

Backwoods Party or Spicewine Small

But then today I was looking at the Traeger models and really like this concept, especially since I can do more on it than just smoke...

So what do you think?

The link that was referred to above is a good one. Basic question - budget, time to manage, and how often will you cook. I've only cooked on a WSM once and it was my first time trying to smoke meat so I didn't do it well. The chargriller got me to the next level and then I found the spicewine.

I think the small's are good for individual use. Thave a decent amount of space. If you're looking for small cooks it's perfect. The medium will get you further and is a great in-between size.

While there are obvious differences between the small and the 2 door models it's a fantastic appliance. I got it for fun initially but when word spread, my cooking went up. From the time I got it this spring I cooked close to 400lbs of meat a month. In one weekend for a festival I cooked over a thousand. It's a tank. And that goes for all of them.

I can't comment on the others. I beat up a chargriller with my sledge just yesterday, that's how frustrating it was to go back.

Another thing - UDS! It's a good alternative and cheap. Course I won't cook on it until tomorrow night!

fnnm358
01-03-2008, 05:01 AM
deffinetly budget needs to be known

but like the others have said a wsm is good but if cost is a problem build a couple of UDS

Ive seen UDS used at comps before

Rick's Tropical Delight
01-03-2008, 05:45 AM
i luv my eggs. only thing i've ever cooked on other than the gassers and old brinkman water smoker. :wink:

Que'inKC
01-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks for all the comments...My budget is around $1500 or so...

My first smoker was a Brinkman vert square type smoker and I hated it, I just couldn't get the fire to stay hot...I really like the SpiceWine and Backwoods smokers because of the insulated smoke box...I assume that when its cold here KC, I can still smoke and not have to worry about temp fluctuations as much. I cook about every weekend to every other weekend through the spring and summer, not so much in the fall in winter...but I would like to start. I don't mind attending the fire, I believe it's what it's all about, but with my present setup I feel like I have to sit there and watch it just about every minute...

gotwood
01-03-2008, 07:40 AM

My first smoker was a Brinkman vert square type smoker and I hated it, I just couldn't get the fire to stay hot...I really like the SpiceWine and Backwoods smokers because of the insulated smoke box...I assume that when its cold here KC, I can still smoke and not have to worry about temp fluctuations as much. I cook about every weekend to every other weekend through the spring and summer, not so much in the fall in winter...but I would like to start. I don't mind attending the fire, I believe it's what it's all about, but with my present setup I feel like I have to sit there and watch it just about every minute...

spicewine is great for smoking

but if you dont need to make huge amounts think about a ceramic cooker....versatile...you can smoke or grill very high temp

Que'inKC
01-03-2008, 07:48 AM
You mean like an BGE?

TexasGuppie
01-03-2008, 08:16 AM

Show-off!

(hey...if it were mine I'd do the same!)

NICE RIG.

-Gup

MountainMan
01-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Have a look at this:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32394&highlight=fast+eddy+grill

I'm thinking it IS the answer, for me anyway ..........

butts a fire
01-03-2008, 08:37 AM
There are a ton of great smokers out there in your price range. From what I know from personal experience a Backwoods party would fit the bill Before I bought mine I was looking at it and the medium spicewine I decided on the Backwoods because of weight and the ease of transporting it to Competitions. It is a great smoker and does great in the winter I have no problem holding temps when it is cold and windy like last weekend (19* with a windchill of about 5* outside). I am sure the SW would also have no problems either they are built like a tank and it shows in the weight of the unit.

Que'inKC
01-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks Chad...i was leaning that direction myself...Is there a local dealer for BackWoods?

JD McGee
01-03-2008, 08:57 AM

I would recommend a Big Green Egg...it is impervious to outside temps and is extremely versatile. Good Luck :-P

KC_Bobby
01-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks Chad...i was leaning that direction myself...Is there a local dealer for BackWoods?

Yes, Jim and Bob. Good guys, they are both located in Johnson County. You can get their info off the Backwoods site. I bought my first Backwoods from Bob and that's the one Chad has now. (Chad, good to hear ya love it) I sold it to him a few months ago and purchased a Competitor.

Feel free to ask me any specific questions you might about the Backwoods. I'd be happy to show it to you if you want to stop by. I live in Lee's Summit.

I cooked on mine the past 2 Saturday's in the wind and cold, it sat there at 235 unattended for hours while I was inside watching TV and napping.

Check out the photo section of my site for some photos of the Party and Competitor.

Que'inKC
01-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the info KC_Bobby...I might just take you up on your offer, maybe I'll just have to stop by during your next smoke...When is that again??? :-)

Thanks again...Jeff

Papa Hogg
01-03-2008, 09:32 AM
I love my BWS Party, the thing I like about it over a BGE or WSM is the amount of food you can cook in it, you can cook 6 - 8 butts, about the same # of briskets or about 12 - 15 slabs of ribs. I have never foiled a peice of meat in it & my products are always juicy. I live in WI & have been "Q"ing all winter with no problems. Here's a picture of my party with 2 butts, 3 briskets & 3 slabs of ribs, with room to spare...I can easily transport it myself, it's about 150 lbs., which was important to me. If you want to PM me with any additional questions feel free.

KC_Bobby
01-03-2008, 09:35 AM
My next smoke woun't be until early morning on Jan 12, gotta have food ready to serve about 5:00 for my fantasy football post-season poker session. I think I'll be making points for burnt ends.

KC_Bobby
01-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Here's a picture of my party with 2 butts, 3 briskets & 3 slabs of ribs, with room to spare.

I put that photo on my site! Funny, my brother thought it was my picture - the background looks the same as my backyard.

G$
01-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Spicewine, especially since you are in driving distance.

WineMaster
01-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Backwoods are great cookers

smokeandbeer
01-03-2008, 11:04 AM
For $1500 I would be looking at a Spicewine (for volume), BGE (for versatility) , or a Traeger (virtually no tending the fire). My previous comment on the WSM was if you were working with a smaller budget. I agree with the previous comment that the Weber does take some work to get perfect if you go that route.

Que'inKC
01-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I like the Spicewine because of the price and availability....but I just not sure how I would get it out of my truck and into my backyard??? My wife and 5 year old probably won't be much help...J

River City Smokehouse
01-03-2008, 12:44 PM
I know a guy in the KC area that has a Fast Eddy FEC100 he wants to sell. PM me and I'll hook you up.

ique
01-03-2008, 12:52 PM

I'd recommend a BWS Party with a removable water pan. Very versatile, fantastic at low and slow, or can crank it up to 500* for pizza. Remove the water pan to sear steaks, or cook slow and direct like with a drum smoker.

Best capacity for the $ as well.

Ford
01-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I know a guy in the KC area that has a Fast Eddy FEC100 he wants to sell. PM me and I'll hook you up.
If it's in good shape then $1500 would be a good price for this. I paid @400 for a new one with the IQ4 but the old controllers work great once you figure them out. I love my FE's.

Ford
01-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Is that 36" or 30"? I used to have the 36" with the burners setup behind the upright and it had 2 burners with a 40LB bottle and a built in bottle holder in the front of the log rack. Does it have the gas assist firebox?

I miss that big old monster but it sure is nice to have the FE's mounted in a full competition kitchen and only have to tow one trailer.

gotwood
01-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I like the Spicewine because of the price and availability....but I just not sure how I would get it out of my truck and into my backyard??? My wife and 5 year old probably won't be much help...J

You can rent a trunk with a lift gate or if you use your own pickup make 2 ramps out of 2x8 and u channel or angle iron. with a couple strong ...umm....."large" men you can get it down no problem

Dale P
01-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I have the small Spicewine and love it. We are going to get another one this year and probably will go with a medium. We are never going to sell either. We plan on handing them down to our great great great grand kids.