PDA

View Full Version : modified Great Outdoors from Craigslist

ams14
01-02-2008, 03:29 PM
I'd like a vertical smoker setup with a door that opens for access (basically a spicewine) though can't really afford anything now. I'm also considering a UDS, but do like a door for loading.

I saw this on craigslist. Now don't worry, I'm not thinking about going with a gas powered smoker. Do you think if I bought this and ditched the propane burner in favor of a charcoal basket and water pan I could get something working? Or am I in for trouble? I considered building something similar from scratch, but it would be convenient to start with something already built and modify it. Anyone tried this before?

Also, I've been using an ECB for a while now, so anything would pretty much be a step up.

Harbormaster
01-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Not sure if it was here or the TVWB site, but a gentleman in England or Germany bought one of these and modded it with a side fire box and a baffle so that it was an offset/vertical. I'll see if I can find it.

Smokin Gator
01-02-2008, 03:48 PM
You could get one of those side boxes for a Char Griller and make the mods easily. It would be a great sausage cooker.

Transformer BBQ
01-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Brinkmann makes a smoker just like that, no propane, for about $100

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Charcoal-Smoker-Charcoal-Wood-Smoker-BBQ-Grill_W0QQitemZ150201051672QQihZ005QQcategoryZ2072 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one includes shipping, which I think is the difference in price.

Note sure how much the on CL is, but if you are set on this design, this might be an option to go new with this model rather than toy around with that propane smoker. and an FYI, these are NOT built super solid... so modifications to design in any great manor may not be the best idea.

capri man
01-02-2008, 03:56 PM
why not just add a firebox on the rear and keep the gas burner? that way if you are having trouble keeping it hot enough with the wood/charcoal you just turn on the gas for a while!!:wink:

boatnut
01-02-2008, 04:38 PM
I use the exact same smoker. I know..its gas..not a purist..but hey..i've turned out some great food on it! does a real nice job and doesnt need a lot of "tending". add a chunk to the wood holder now and then and make sure the water hasn't all evaporated.
Personally, I think if you turned it into a charcoal burner you'd have to almost watch it constantly.

smokeandbeer
01-02-2008, 04:45 PM
The Brinkmann is a little smaller, but only $60 at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3342509

smoke-n-my-i's
01-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Not sure if it was here or the TVWB site, but a gentleman in England or Germany bought one of these and modded it with a side fire box and a baffle so that it was an offset/vertical. I'll see if I can find it.

You could get one of those side boxes for a Char Griller and make the mods easily. It would be a great sausage cooker.

I seem to remember that one. I am thinking it was the CG SFB that was used. If memory serves me right, he had to do something to support the sfb, but right off I don't remember. (old timers again) :eek:

Bill

jestridge
01-02-2008, 05:17 PM
I built a cabinet smoker a few years ago it work ok. I gave it to a cousin of mine > I It was double wall the outside was stainless
It work great. If you have access to a shop and metal u might be better off building your own.

ams14
01-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I was wondering about how solid it was, might be tough to hang a firebox off the side if it is somewhat flimsy.

Intersting idea about leaving the gas to run dual fuel. and Mike, nothing wrong with gas.

Buying the brinkman is not a bad idea either. though I kind of like the idea of a side-mounted firebox now. I do have some shop access and was thinking about building from scratch, but thought it would be easier to start with something rather than purely from scratch. hmmm...

CajunSmoker
01-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Your local walmart should have that smoker in stock. I know ours does. Heres a linc that you can check by your zip code. That way you can take a first hand look before you buy it.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3342513

swamprb
01-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Those are not a bad cooker, I recently sold mine. It was a good learning pit for me and I even considered doing the Char-Griller side box mod if it ever died. You'd have to seal the bottom up. I'm kind of kicking myself for getting rid of it.

BBQ_MAFIA
01-02-2008, 07:55 PM
If you got the GOSM I would just cook on it as it is.
I've turned out some great food on it and for those days where I don't have
time to watch the fire all day, you can't beat the unit. Jult my 2 Cents.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

biffleg
01-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I put a Side Fire Box on my GOSM ... let me see if I can find the pics. Be right back!

Found it: try here (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26274&highlight=gosm) Best of both worlds - there have been time when I've run both together :mrgreen:

JD McGee
01-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Brinkmann makes a smoker just like that, no propane, for about $100

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Charcoal-Smoker-Charcoal-Wood-Smoker-BBQ-Grill_W0QQitemZ150201051672QQihZ005QQcategoryZ2072 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one includes shipping, which I think is the difference in price.

Note sure how much the on CL is, but if you are set on this design, this might be an option to go new with this model rather than toy around with that propane smoker. and an FYI, these are NOT built super solid... so modifications to design in any great manor may not be the best idea.

Found the same one here for under a hundred. http://www.barbecue-grill-guide.com/p/brinkmann-vertical-smoker-heavy-duty-charcoal-wood-2-grate-smoker-and-grill

Blutch
01-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I have that model GOSM. Works great, but it isn't wide enough. So, i just bought the widebody GOSM. Geeez you can get a lot of food in there. It would support a side firebox no problem... maybe think about doing that mod.

Here's a tip: fill the water pan with sand and cover with tin foil. Just replace the foil after ever cook. Much easier to deal with. Acts as a heat sink and keeps temps even.

B

BBQ Grail
01-02-2008, 08:14 PM
I have one, use it all the time when I just don't want to mess with the Silver Smoker. It works great.

I believe they actually make a "charcoal" version.