PDA

View Full Version : El Cheapo ABT rack

Smokin Gator
01-02-2008, 11:25 AM
A day or so ago someone posted about looking for an ABT rack. I didn't think that much about it as I had been using chicken leg racks for a while and they were OK. Then I saw were someone (EDIT: It was ChineseBob) had made one and thought what the heck... I'll give it a try.

Went to Wally World, bought a pack of 3 different size baking sheets for $2.88, and came home to play with some tools...

Here is the result:

I drilled pilot holes and then used the step bit. Then I flipped it over and cleaned up the back with the angle grinder. Then I cleaned up the holes a bit more with a rat tail file. Then pan is pretty thin so I decided to bevel the holes a bit. I found an old funnel and it did the trick. I bent the flaps on the end of the pan down to give a little more clearance. I may need to make the holes larger, but for now it will do!!!

As a bonus I picked up a full packer brisket for $1.65 a pound and have two drip pans for the BGE to boot!!!

chinesebob
01-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Looks awesome. I used the baking pans from GFS. probably about the same thickness. To catch the drippings/stuff that falls through I put a matching pan underneath it. Worked fantastically.

So when you going to fire that up?

Smokin Gator
01-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Looks awesome. I used the baking pans from GFS. probably about the same thickness. To catch the drippings/stuff that falls through I put a matching pan underneath it. Worked fantastically.

So when you going to fire that up?

As luck would have it I just did a batch yesterday (not that it should really stop me). I guess this weekend sounds like as good a time as any. Might just have to do wings and ABTs for the Jags game!!

sfisch
01-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Great Idea, but you could do the same for a smaller one using a meat loaf pan.

Scott

Smokin Gator
01-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Great Idea, but you could do the same for a smaller one using a meat loaf pan.

Scott

LOL... that is true... but the way people eat ABTs around here I would get run out of the house for making a small batch!!!

chinesebob
01-02-2008, 12:02 PM
LOL... that is true... but the way people eat ABTs around here I would get run out of the house for making a small batch!!!

Say that again. First time we did it and my wife's comment was - you're going to have to make more pans because that one is not enough.

keale
01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Great, he finally post pics, and its of a farking drill, and pan, no ABT's, nuthin!:-P
Brent, I hear ABT'S cure a hurting heart! (bowl game mod.) Please make a dozen for me...LOL!

Ashmont
01-02-2008, 02:48 PM
That makes 24..... I need to make 4 pans. Off to the store I go!

Smokin Gator
01-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Great, he finally post pics, and its of a farking drill, and pan, no ABT's, nuthin!:-P
Brent, I hear ABT'S cure a hurting heart! (bowl game mod.) Please make a dozen for me...LOL!

LOL... I guess you got me on the pics... Yesterday I did a rack of spares, a rack of BBs, a flat, and a batch of ABTs. You would think I could have at least taken one shot of that instead of an empty pan huh??? I did think of you when I was making it though... I know you are an el cheapo at heart like me.

Maybe your ABT idea has something to it. I ate them right at the end of the Gator's a** whipping and didn't think much about the game after that!!!

keale
01-02-2008, 03:14 PM
El cheapo is my middle name!:-P
I think I'll take the whole pan, after the OTHER a** whooping we got.
Ashmont, can you make me 2 pans of these? You can use the first 2 for your practice!:-P

chinesebob
01-02-2008, 03:32 PM

See I didn't even say anything about a ranked team getting beat by a team that was 0-3 in bowl games and lost to OSU again.