PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Insulating my SW doors...

gotwood
01-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Looking to Insulate the Doors on my spicewine, wondering if any suggestions.

I was thinking some refractory tiles and adhesive....as my welding skills suck and I dont have anything to break steel sheeting with.

Dale P
01-02-2008, 08:25 AM
I understand what you mean but are you really losing that much heat for the trouble? I cooked 4 big butts NYE, pulled and delivered in less than 10 hours. Any faster than that would take away all of the fun! lol

gotwood
01-02-2008, 09:07 AM
I understand what you mean but are you really losing that much heat for the trouble? I cooked 4 big butts NYE, pulled and delivered in less than 10 hours. Any faster than that would take away all of the fun! lol

Well, I am going to be using a guru on mine. So I want the burns to last long as possible with little waste. When it's chilly(2 degrees) and windy(chicago) It can really eat up the heat.

Another reason for "insulating" is I would like to minimize any chance of rusting.....when it is cool outside the door gets cold, water condenses on the inside of the door and them drips down into the channels on the bottom of the door.

I am a bit concerned about the enviorment and any little reduction in fossil fuel use helps.

I can be a bit anal about things but..............

G$
01-02-2008, 09:54 AM
I had composed a long reply, and my system crashed.

Short answer: no, and I would not bother. Plenty of folks get great burns in cold climate with SW and guru.

Mo-Dave
01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't think insulating the bottom door will benefit you much. If it were me and I were you and had a mind to, I would put my money in insulating the the upper cooking chamber door instead.

As for the firebox door and using a guru which I plan on, I would just try to make it as air tight as I could by seal the intakes for better control, with say some metal backed tape like guru provides.
Dave

Mo-Dave
01-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Looking to Insulate the Doors on my spicewine, wondering if any suggestions.

I was thinking some refractory tiles and adhesive....as my welding skills suck and I dont have anything to break steel sheeting with.

I am thinking if you made a frame to fit the opening out of angle iron, then welded a metal sheet to that, fill it with insulation and welded that to the door, making sure it would open and close. Most shops will cut the metal for you so you don't have to buy a whole sheet at a cost of course. Or you can use a skill saw with a metal cutting blade, as long as the skill saw case is metal. Remember this will be inside the smoker so looks are not as important here.

In my case I could tack it all together then I would take it to a good welder and have them finish welding it up. I know you don't want to weld it but I really believe that would be your best solution.
Dave

chinesebob
01-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I would talk to Guy from Two Pollucks. He gets really really long burns. Not sure if uses anything to insulate the doors. I think he uses the stoker/guru type application as well.