PDA

View Full Version : UDS In Progress Pics and Description

chinesebob
01-01-2008, 11:18 PM
I have already read what other people have posted. I think I've got it. I've tried to take the good and the bad that people listed and use that.

Instead of buying a junkyard barrel that would have cost around 10.00 I found a place that reconditions them and makes them as good as new.

I liked the valves that I saw and the designs that N8Man drew up. Mista didn't like the door on his but the handles were essential. -- By the way Mista - your video on your website came up on google - great video.

Several people have shared what they did and sent messages in response to questions I had about materials. Which I don't think I could have gotten this far without.

I probably spent more than most of you did but hopefully not by much.
So far my list of items is:(pictures follow)
1 55 gallon drum - 40.00
3 1" brass twist valves. - 9.00/ea (27.00)
1 18" grate for basket - 15.00
1 3 1/2 inch ash pan - 4.00
1 2" twist valve - 2500.00
9 3" x 1/4" zinc bolt/nut set. - 2.50
3 1" x 4" pipe threaded on both ends - 1.00/ea (3.00)
1 24" x 24" expanded metal sheet - 18.00
1 23 1/2" weber grill grate - 18.00

What I need still - 1 inch locking washers for pipe on both sides and 1 1/4" bimetal drill bit. I have the 1 1/8 but that didn't work for the 1" pipe - didn't know.

Because I'm using an ash pan I drilled my first hole exactly 3 1/2 inches from the bottom. I'm going to rest the 18" weber grill on top of it to hold the charcoal. This gives room between the basket and the grate.

The expanded metal I'm cutting into a 12"W x 12"L x 6"H basket that will sit on the 18" grate.

Then approximately 24" above the top of the grate I will drill 4 holes around the barrel for he 23" grill grate.

On the barrel I'm going to strip the seal off the lip of the lid. I'm going to use one of the exhaust valves from Ginny (sorry Jay - it really did fit perfect) in the bung(?) hole. Instead of installing a handle on the lid I'm going to just use the exhaust pipe.

For handles on the side I'm debating on installing an elbow and then a 2 foot pipe. Course I could do that with the shut off valves half way up and then not have to bend over.....(getting old MOD).

Here's another thought that I had - don't know if it's necessary or not. I was thinking about installing 6" nut/bolt combo halfway between air and top grate to move the fire pan grate and ash pan up so I could use it more like a grill when I'm not smoking. I don't know if I can get another grate with only 7 inches left. I don't have a weber lid and didn't necessarily want to get one. This more for personal use and fun. I was going to put hooks in the ash pan and it could hang from the bottom of the fire grate. I found a cool firewood poker hook so I don't have to bend over into the barrel to pull stuff out(I really do have a bad back).

I'll pick up the remaining parts tomorrow and should be good to go, hopefully doing a test smoke tomorrow night after I get everything done. Here are pics from everything but the screws.

Two things that may pop into your head when you first look at this - wow - that's expensive - aren't these supposed to be like uber cheap? Yes and I could have gotten away with it being super cheap at the Junkyard. Except no one knew what was in them before I got them. I might try it with an 85 gallon drum but for this one I wanted to make sure. I can't risk their "food" drums having had some foreign substance that my boys are allergic too. Yes I'm paying for piece of mind. 'nuff said.

Other thing someone said to me today. With this one you won't even need the other one you ordered. Never in a million years will I ever say that. I want this to be a nice one that I can use for small cooks and hopefully show my friends and co-workers how to do so we can perpetuate bbq everywhere. I would need 15 of these with double grates going to replicate what one large spicewine could do.

I'm just thrilled to be putting one of these together and love to see how everyone does them. That and I beat my chargriller in with the sledgehammer today after the ABT's came off and the guests left. Surprisingly enough not any real damage.

Again - not trying to start new long drawn out UDS thread - just asking for a review of the project so far. Any feedback is appreciated.

BobBrisket
01-01-2008, 11:43 PM
You think I could do without the 2500.00/2" twist valve?:wink:

Looks good to me. I now think it may be be worth it for me to spend the 50 bucks for a new, clean drum. Makes sense and the peace of mind is worth it.

RichardF
01-01-2008, 11:54 PM
You think I could do without the 2500.00/2" twist valve?:wink:

It's a Defense Dept. thing - You or I could get the same valve for around $25- :biggrin:

Jaberwabee
01-02-2008, 02:01 AM
That is WAY to clean.

N8man
01-02-2008, 03:34 AM
Bob, if you are planning on using these: ( 9 3" x 1/4" zinc bolt/nut set.)
on the inside of the drum, don't!!!
Take them back and get stainless steel. The heat from your fire could cause
zinc to leech out and contaminate your Que.

chinesebob
01-02-2008, 05:07 AM
Bob, if you are planning on using these: ( 9 3" x 1/4" zinc bolt/nut set.)
on the inside of the drum, don't!!!
Take them back and get stainless steel. The heat from your fire could cause
zinc to leech out and contaminate your Que.

That's what I was afraid of. Poor Home Depot. Been buying and returning things for two days straight. I'm getting them today, hopefully have it done tonight. Thanks N8Man.

I have to say we have a local hardware store here - that uses the best brand for stuff - they beat any of the major chains as far as having the right stuff or knowing what I'm talking about.

Smokin Gator
01-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Lookin good bro... The only potential problem I can see is your expanded metal fire basket being too small. I am no expert but do know several people have initially made a small one and had trouble with temps on longer cooks. Mine is 18 inches in diameter and about 6 inches tall. It works for me...

Can't wait to see the finished product.

chinesebob
01-02-2008, 06:59 AM
Good point. It's one that I wasn't sure on. I've got a sheet of 13 gauge steel I can use to make the basket bigger like 18 x 3 and then bolt on a strip of the steel to the top so it will hold more.

Up here people look at me funny when I tell them I need a sheet of 3'x3' expanded metal. They think I'm losing my mind. "You're going to do what?"

DaChief
01-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Looks good...keep the progress pics coming.

Bbq Bubba
01-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Lookin good bro, got me motivated to get goin on mine, what else we suppost to do this time of year??? :wink:

michiana mark
01-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Lookin good bro, got me motivated to get goin on mine, what else we suppost to do this time of year??? :wink:

You could come over and shovel me out, if your'e bored.

Bbq Bubba
01-02-2008, 08:27 AM
You could come over and shovel me out, if your'e bored.

Fire up that gator and you got a deal!!!:wink:

michiana mark
01-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Fire up that gator and you got a deal!!!:wink:
You may have to tend the fire as I have to work today( after you shovel so I can get out). Lets do a 24 lb packer, low and slow.:-P

Divemaster
01-02-2008, 10:20 AM
You may have to tend the fire as I have to work today( after you shovel so I can get out). Lets do a 24 lb packer, low and slow.:-P

For that I may have to make a road trip. :mrgreen::eek::mrgreen:

CB, the progress looks good to me... I like your idea on not doing this project for large cooks but to primarally spread the word of BBQ. For that reason only, I may have to do one up too...

chinesebob
01-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Already got 3 people asking when can I build one for them. Little odd as I'm pretty much known as an idiot when it comes to building anything like this. Shoot I can't even hang a cabinet right.

deeque
01-02-2008, 11:17 AM
looks like you've got the makin's for a great UDS. good luck with the build. and don't be afraid to try your ideas.:-D:cool:

chinesebob
01-02-2008, 11:33 AM
looks like you've got the makin's for a great UDS. good luck with the build. and don't be afraid to try your ideas.:-D:cool:

Thanks. They're really everyone else's ideas with some slight modification by me. I am a firm believer in learning from others. That's why this place ROCKS!

keale
01-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Already got 3 people asking when can I build one for them. Little odd as I'm pretty much known as an idiot when it comes to building anything like this. Shoot I can't even hang a cabinet right.

Sound like me Bob, "mechanically disabled", thats why I'm so proud I built it myself! It works too!:-P
Nice job, but I agree, its way too clean! A few people have been having trouble maintaing temps, due to big exhausts...

chinesebob
01-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Updated Pics of the UDS. They aren't in order but they do represent some of the pain. Using the whole bit I destroyed three center bits. Finally slowed down and figured it out.

The only three things I have left are to put the cap on the lid, get a couple of washers to close the accident hole I made first and finish my charcoal basket.

The basket will be 16x16x8. Very easy assembly. I'm cutting 4 9" strips of the expanded metal. Bending it underneath so that it will be bolted to the bottom and then using a 2.5 x 8 strip bent and used to reinforce the corners.

Again any feedback is welcome.

N8man
01-03-2008, 03:49 AM
Don't you just love it when the parts come together and the ideas take shape? Looking Good there Man.....Can't wait to see it Smoked Up!!!:eusa_clap

The Pigman
01-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Seems to me I saw where someone had attached a wheel to one side at bottom so you could tilt onto wheel and go......

CritterCook
01-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Lookin' good. Weather is sposed to get better this weekend. Maybe you can throw som meat on that sucker and show us some pron!

SmokeWatcher
01-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Looks great so far! I'd like to see pics of your charcoal basket when you get it finished. Mine is 12"x12" and 6" high. I'm thinking about going lower and wider.

DaChief
01-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Sweet...looking forward to the finished pics and the first cook pics!

Bbq Bubba
01-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Keep at it brother, glad to see your keeping busy and keeping your mind right!!:wink:

chinesebob
01-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Instead of the above firebox, I'm getting a 4'x4' sheet and cutting a clean 18" x 18" x 7" basket. The other one above was turning into a nightmare with the two pieces of metal I have to work from. Funny enough I'm taking those back and getting the new one from a fabrication plant around the corner for less. Stainless too!

Everything else is done. The next pictures you see will be of me firing my baby UP!

fnnm358
01-03-2008, 12:00 PM
cant wait to see the pron

Glad to see you taking the plunge I will be building one or 2 as soon as I can find the barrels

Irrad8
01-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Ditto what fnnm said.

chinesebob
01-03-2008, 05:31 PM
OK - here's a question for you knowledgeable ones. I got a 16 gauge expanded steel. I don't know if it's thick enough for the charcoal box. I ordered a sheet of 13 gauge just in case but it won't be here for a week or so. That's too long to wait.

Bbq Bubba
01-03-2008, 05:58 PM
I think i used that to make my charcoal basket for my off-set, it's working great, hasn't even warped yet..
Worst case it'll last ya till the other metal get's there!!

N8man
01-03-2008, 06:08 PM
13 ga. is what I used, carbon steel I think. Is your's stainless?

smooookin
01-03-2008, 06:11 PM
I am not sure what gage mine is but it is the stuff you can buy at home depot. I used it almost every other day for 4 months this summer and no problems. LOL even the baling wire holding it together is still hanging on.

chinesebob
01-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Down to the last patching of the basket and this baby is going to get a burn going. Man I pray it works.

chinesebob
01-03-2008, 11:25 PM
She's done. I don't have a name for the little girl yet, but she's ready to start. Due to the lateness of the day my wife persuaded me to wait to burn in until tomorrow. So no food pron, but here is the new baby girl.

All you guys out there that have been watching the birth of this new little drum smoker are all welcome to provide a name for her. I was thinking of "Lil Susie 'Que" but since my wife's name is Susan I'm not sure about naming a converted waste barrel that is going to smoke a lot of meat that close to her name.

So here are some final pics.

This is the basket before modified. I trimmed the sides and the overall width/length down about 2 inches. I initially tried using my reciprocating saw but that was painful. Then I borrowed my neighbor's angle grinder and while faster it was hard to track and keep straight. Stopped at Sears Hardware and they hooked me up with a metal blade for my circular saw that totally kicked Arse. 4.99 doesn't get much better than that.

All dressed up with no where to go.

There's a little of Ginny in her. Can't you see the resemblance.

this was the hole that I made by mistake. So I doubled the washers on both sides. it's not permanent but I hope it will last a while. If I can get a mig welder for a weekend I'll put a plate over this.

Still clean! Don't worry - I'm making a batch of ABT's for tomorrow. And Saturday and Sunday and of course Monday.

Here's the completed basket. it's not pretty but I think it will do. I need to trim off the top of the corner braces.

"And lo I see my smokers before me...." What viking movie is that from. Here's the line of the smokers that will all be gone this weekend except for the baby.

Now the question is - do I go to work tomorrow, stay home and cook, or go to work, feign sick, then come home and cook........

C Rocke
01-03-2008, 11:32 PM
CB,

Dimensions on the firebox? Does is sit on something? Maybe I missed it?

chinesebob
01-03-2008, 11:37 PM
originally going to be 12x12x6 but then I found a cheaper better supplier so I went 18x18x7. Unfortunately that was to big so I cut it down to around 15 1/2 x 15 1/2 x 5 - 6.

It will sit on the weber coal grate.

JamesB
01-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Looks like ya got it all fiqured out! Congrats!

James.

Meat Burner
01-04-2008, 12:59 AM
originally going to be 12x12x6 but then I found a cheaper better supplier so I went 18x18x7. Unfortunately that was to big so I cut it down to around 15 1/2 x 15 1/2 x 5 - 6.

It will sit on the weber coal grate.
That sounds better. FIRE THAT BAD BOY US!!!! "UGLEY BETTY" would work...don't ask about that name. LOL

fnnm358
01-04-2008, 05:44 AM
looks good cant wait to see the pron
"SWEET BLUE" for name sounds good to me

Dr_KY
01-04-2008, 07:01 AM
I say ya stay home and give her a good ride down the smokey highway.

Looks great Bob.

ZBQ
01-04-2008, 07:06 AM
looks good cant wait to see the pron
"SWEET BLUE" for name sounds good to me

I see someone trying to get a Brother in trouble!!!

Telling someone from Scarlet and Gray territory to name their smoker "Sweet Blue".:roll:

Whaddaya thinkin man!?!?

Ahhhh........I see.........you're from "up North" and don't see anything wrong with that.

We know what "Sweet Blue" is but his friends most likely wont!!

You chit stirrin people "up North".........

Note: This is meant to be taken LIGHTLY and is just a little humor.......not serious.....well, just a tiny bit serious maybe. :wink:

Jack2u2
01-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Anything under the firebox to collect the ashes? Maybe I didn't see it! Watching everyone make these, now I gotta start looking for materials.

Bbq Bubba
01-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Look's great Bob, i would go to work and then go home sick (that's my plan) and then have some pron for us tonite!!
O.K., so that kept ya busy for a day or 2, now what??? Just keep them hand's busy brother!!:wink:

chinesebob
01-04-2008, 08:15 AM
already got another one planned. 110G just got a call about. Guy wants to get rid of one or two and offered to me FREE! And a 30G one too. Wife is going to kill me.

Dr_KY
01-04-2008, 08:21 AM
keep builbind and don't look back. A 110 should be very interesting. Sounds like a use for this 2'' ball valve I have sitting over here.

Bbq Bubba
01-04-2008, 08:23 AM
110 Gal.????? Would that be a BAUDS????
Big Azz Ugly Drum Smoker???:mrgreen:

gotwood
01-04-2008, 08:30 AM
already got another one planned. 110G just got a call about. Guy wants to get rid of one or two and offered to me FREE! And a 30G one too. Wife is going to kill me.

2 110 gallon drums sounds like a nice horizontal double barrell project

chinesebob
01-04-2008, 08:39 AM
110 Gal.????? Would that be a BAUDS????
Big Azz Ugly Drum Smoker???:mrgreen:

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm going to stash them for a few weeks while I get the new one up and running. Now I gotta find me some handles.....

Bbq Bubba
01-04-2008, 08:43 AM
allright, look's like ya skipped work today.........when ya firing that baby up???

Smokin Gator
01-04-2008, 08:44 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm going to stash them for a few weeks while I get the new one up and running. Now I gotta find me some handles.....

Stanley garage door handles work for me. If you put one on the lid cover it with some pipe insulation. It is cheap and works well.

N8man
01-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Bob, you smoking yet?

broschultz
01-04-2008, 09:00 PM
If you cut the expanded metal into 4 6 inch sections you can bolt two pieces together and have a 6 inch high 13 inch diameter which should be big enough.

chinesebob
01-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Bob, you smoking yet?

Funny you should ask.....

Look at the ABT's!

3 people - 5 minutes. Absolutely awesome.

12328 - I'm 5 deep on these so forgive the typing.

Tomorrow I'm doing smoked pastrami!

The coals in the picture are 3 hours old and barely being lit. one of the challenges I am facing is that my wireless thermometers were purchaed on woot.com and they work for about 15 minutes. The one I'm going to install is on it's way but that will take a few days.

I love this thing. it's still kicking out consistent heat. it's 30 out right now.

I'll keep posting this weekend as I'm going to be going today, tomorrow, and Sunday(52 degrees).

I really appreciate all the help you guys have been and want to say thank you. Where do I contribute to the brethren beer fund to say thank you.

For any newbies seeing this and wondering what, why, who, and how? This is the greatest forum you'll ever be on. It's not about, who you are(unless you're Poobah), what you do for a living, where you live, or where you came from. It's about brotherhood, food, knowledge and sharing.

See 5 bottles of bourbon ale at 10% do nothing to me..........

Now if only I had any cigarettes...... wait - I quit ok. maybe I can stick my face over the outlet for a second..... I already do that everytime I cook. Dang it.

michiana mark
01-05-2008, 12:29 AM
Looks great Bob, congrats

Dr_KY
01-05-2008, 03:36 AM
Looking good there Bob you have inspired me to get out of my sick bed and do something with mine today.

N8man
01-05-2008, 07:00 AM
ChineseBob, how does it feel to be a DrumHead? That is a Mighty Fine Smoker you got there!!!! ABTs don't last long, do they? Good Luck with the Pastrami.

Smokin Gator
01-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Great job bro... I am proud of your efforts!!!

Norcoredneck
01-05-2008, 07:41 AM
hooked another one! Congrats.

Irrad8
01-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Thank you for the thread bob! Looks awesome!

chinesebob
01-05-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm going to put together what I used, the tools, lessons learned. That way anyone wants to build their own going forward there will be something. Thanks again everyone. Wait until you see how I use it to do cold smoking for some homemade sausage.

wlh3
01-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Great looking drum Bob. you are now an offical drum head Welcome to the drum heads:icon_bigsmil Makes ya wonder why you waited so long to join:biggrin::cool: More pron please:eek:

chinesebob
01-05-2008, 11:10 AM
pastrami is going on shortly.....

Thanks. The UDS shows that you really can use just about everything to smoke food with. I'd rather have my spicewine but this has been a lot of fun and the requests from people are growing to help them make one.

JD McGee
01-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Congrats Bob...great job! I look forward to seeing lot's of pron pics from your UDS. :-P

chinesebob
01-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Break In Weekend Update:

Did the pastrami on the UDS - huge hit. Pictures to follow. Adjusted temp twice but burned half a basket in 6 1/2 hours. never climbed over 300 but got close once. dropped to 200 and then up to 235 for the next 3 hours. Pulled it off, shut down the valves. 30 minutes I followed up on the fire and it was completely out.

Refilled the basket with 4 handfuls of lump, 2 of wood chunks. Lit half a chimney - 20 minutes late it was up to 220 - brisket went on and is holding strong. Since I didn't install my thermometer yet I put an oven thermometer right under the exhaust and just peek in to check temp.

Everything is going well. More pics to follow.

fnnm358
01-06-2008, 10:33 AM
go bob go glad to see you enjoying the Q

Bbq Bubba
01-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Sound's good bro, lookin forward to thosr pic's!!

gotwood
01-08-2008, 06:48 PM
you have 3 nipples on the bottom of this thing.
is one of them always open?? or do you have it capped off??

chinesebob
01-08-2008, 07:33 PM
you have 3 nipples on the bottom of this thing.
is one of them always open?? or do you have it capped off??

Three openings on the bottom. 2 with ball risers and ball valves, 1 with a nipple. Next one I build - (Friday/Saturday) I will use 3/4" - with 4 of them, 2 of them with risers and ball valves, 1 with a valve, and one with a nipple. I will probably make them flush and juse some steel to hold the basket off the bottom so it gives me a little more room for an extra grate.

Mitch
01-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Yup! Your hooked. Nice rig.

Barbarian
01-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Bob did the drum come reconditioned with the bare metal inside?

JW
01-08-2008, 09:50 PM
good lookin' UDS there chinesebob, mighty fine craftsmanship!

Keep the drum beat smokin' :-D

chinesebob
01-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Bob did the drum come reconditioned with the bare metal inside?

It did. I liked that quite a bit. Peace of mind kind of thing. 40.00 but that's a little steep compared to wht you guys get them for.

The one that I'm doing this weekend is for another brother here to say thank you. Hopefully it will work well for him.

My adjustment is now to the time it cooks. I'm used to shorter cooks, so I have to plan accordingly. I also put my basket on the grate and I think that blocks the ash more than it should. Got 14 hours of burn off 10lbs of lump and 3 handfuls of wood chunks. My family and friends loved it. I like my brisket falling apart more than it was but not many complaints from the eaters.

CB

Irrad8
01-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Bob, did you do a burn out? If not, how is the outside paint holding up? I have a lead on a unlined drum that had some kind of juice in it, I was wondering if I would still need to remove the external paint and repaint it with Hi-temp paint. someone posted around here somewhere that they didn't think their drum got hot enough to blister the paint that was on it when they got it. Are you still going to post a "cheat sheet" of supplies and steps or wait until you tweek the next one or two. I really appreciate you and this thread (all that contributed) Thanks.
Brian

chinesebob
01-09-2008, 12:03 AM
I cooked in mine almost 3 days straight running at 230 degrees average and other than the huge honking pipes sticking out you'd never know it was a smoker. It looks good. When I pick up the other two drums I'll ask the guy at the company I get them from.

Dr_KY
01-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Bob you mentioned breaking bits. Did you have them extended more than an eigth of an inch beyond the teeth of the hole saw? Did the same thing till I got the hang of it. :)

chinesebob
01-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah they were out probably 1/2 inch. It was painful but once I let them cool down between the driling I was ok. I recently found a deal in the discount bin at Sears Hardware on a 1 inch step down bit. I'll be going with 3/4 inch pipes in the future.

Norcoredneck
01-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Bob you mentioned breaking bits. Did you have them extended more than an eigth of an inch beyond the teeth of the hole saw? Did the same thing till I got the hang of it. :)
When using a hole saw it helps to have a quality powerful drill motor and run it at a slower speed.

chinesebob
01-09-2008, 09:27 PM
You mean my black and decker 12Volt isn't a quality drill? Come On!

Norcoredneck
01-09-2008, 09:51 PM
You mean my black and decker 12Volt isn't a quality drill? Come On!
More about initial torque. Good motors can start at a slower speed and keep a controlled speed. "Less efficient" (not to pi$$ someone off mod) tend to jerk and start at full speed. This tends to make drill motor hard to hang on to which breaks off pilot drills. Been through a few myself.

Dr_KY
01-10-2008, 04:54 AM
Agreed Norco I have tossed a few in the begining. Using a little cutting oil on the hole saw helps too.

Bob a 1/2 inch out is far too long try starting with an 1/8 to a 1/4 on that bit.

Mark
01-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey Bob:

I hear there's some free drums out back of the Perry nuclear plant. How close are you?

Norcoredneck
01-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Hey Bob:

I hear there's some free drums out back of the Perry nuclear plant. How close are you?
I hear they are glowing greener than The drums Smoookin got. :biggrin:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12450&stc=1&d=1199931806

smooookin
01-10-2008, 09:02 AM
I hear they are glowing greener than The drums Smoookin got. :biggrin:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12450&stc=1&d=1199931806

That just makes em easier to find in the dark.

Barbarian
01-10-2008, 11:20 AM
I bet you could use a 4" x 1/8" steel flat, heat and form around the drum then weld it to the bottom drum and just slide the top one down on in it. Might need to have a small flat ring below the lip to even things out.

Barbarian
01-10-2008, 11:21 AM
ooops, saw the nuclear drum and posted to the wrong thread!

chinesebob
01-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Almost my last modifications to this one.
Temp Gauge from Spicewine.

Here I have the side pipe's secured.

I cut the pipe insert so the new basket would fit properly.

The new firebox loaded. Ran out of chunk. This is briq's and apple/cherry wood combo. I'm pretty excited about using the apple and cherry.

A close up of the side so you can see how it was secured.

The galvanized ash pan I can't use. Not finished but almost....

Bbq Bubba
01-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Look's good Bob, gave me some good idea's!!

chinesebob
01-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Ok, something weird. I pulled a brisket and a shoulder off about an hour and left the lid off to speed the leftovers briq's burning off. I just went out and I noticed this steam/smoke combo with a strange odor. Kinda like a soldering smell to it. As soon as I got close enough to see it was coming out of the bottom seam I got a whiff and started hacking. I don't even think it was a full dose in the face. Drinking milk now.

It wasn't there when the lid was on - temp was 225 to 235. Lid off climbed to 275-300 for about 30 minutes and then dropped back down to 225 range. The odor wasn't coming out of the top, just the side of the drum at the bottom on one small section. I'm going to turn it over when it's done and see what we can find.

N8man
01-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Might be burning paint off of the outside of the drum. When I burnt the factory paint off of mine it had the real bad toxic smell.

CajunSmoker
01-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Might be burning paint off of the outside of the drum. When I burnt the factory paint off of mine it had the real bad toxic smell.

Ditto. Smelled really nasty.

N8man
01-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Bob, did you figure out what is going on?

Dr_KY
01-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Same here and my neighbours hate me for it.lol I told them it was all a part of the process.:mrgreen:

chinesebob
01-13-2008, 02:32 PM
I think it might have been that. It was coming from only one small section and I can't see any discoloration now. So not sure what's going on with it but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the feedback. Lowered the worry factor.

smokeandbeer
01-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Hey Bob, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the barrels? We are geographically close and I would like to get a couple to build this summer if you don't mind me using your supplier.

Thanks, and congrats on finishing up the project. Does it work better than the Char-Griller? I like my Char-Griller but it has the hotspot problem every once in awhile, so I wanted to build a vertical smoker to avoid that problem.

blues brother
01-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Hey Bob,
Great thread...I am learning a lot of good stuff. I like what I am seeing.
You have done a lot of work for me...just one question? Why no ash pan?

chinesebob
01-25-2008, 07:03 AM
Hey Bob, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the barrels? We are geographically close and I would like to get a couple to build this summer if you don't mind me using your supplier.

Thanks, and congrats on finishing up the project. Does it work better than the Char-Griller? I like my Char-Griller but it has the hotspot problem every once in awhile, so I wanted to build a vertical smoker to avoid that problem.

Not a problem. Container Managment - I google them with Columbus, Ohio after the word and it comes right up. 42.00 for a reconditioned pristine barrel. But make them show you then it's the reconditioned. The last one I got wasn't and it pisses me off that I have to take it back.

And it cooks phenomenally better than the chagriller. Less space, but definitely better.

chinesebob
01-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Hey Bob,
Great thread...I am learning a lot of good stuff. I like what I am seeing.
You have done a lot of work for me...just one question? Why no ash pan?

I made one but it was out of galvanized so I didn't use it. I'm putting a lip on the bottom of the charcoal setup with the next one.